Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 23, 2004

World of Warcraft is an MMORPG that takes place in Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft universe. At its peak, it boasted a player base of over 12.5 million subscribers, making it the most popular MMO of all time.

Trying to Decide if I Should Start

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By DrPockets000

All right Bombers, I have here a 14 day trial for WoW, which I will fire up here in a few minutes.  I have never played this before.  Of course, I will be able to make a reasonably educated decision once I've tried it, but I wanted to ask some of you some questions about the game, such as how much time I should really invest in it to make it worth the money, or if it's even worth it from someone who never plays MMOs.  I'm unsure of some of the pros and cons of the game as well.  Any help is appreciated.  

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By ajamafalous

You only really need to play every day if you're dedicated to endgame raiding (level 80). I'd guess that the majority of people do not play all day erry day as some would like you to believe.

The time to money ratio is something relative to each individual; it really depends on how frugal you are. If you're someone who buys several full-priced games every month or two, it's probably worth the money as long as you play more than ~15 hours a month, considering 3-4 months of WoW ($45 or $60) is the price of one full-priced game. But of course this depends on if you're enjoying your time with WoW or if you're just playing because you're paying, which is a trap many seem to fall into.

Ultimately, I'd say you'll have a lot better idea once you've completed your trial whether you want to subscribe or not. Also, find some other people to play with, makes it a lot more enjoyable.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Jack268

If you have friends to play with it'll be a blast. In WotlK Blizzard made the game a lot more casual-friendly, so that even people who play for quite low amounts of time every day should be able to see the endgame. If it's your first time playing, do ask people if there is something you don't know or are unsure of and make sure to learn the game and your class' skills properly. I'd hate to see another person join the scrub legion. 

Oh yeah some pros and cons 

Pros; 
    -It's the biggest MMO on the market currently. There will always be people to interract with. 
    -Plenty of content and achievements to keep you playing 
    -If you find nice players to play with, the experience will be even better. 
    -No matter what people say, the game balance is okay, arena and PvP is a bit messy, but all classes are very equal in PvE. 

Cons: 
    -It could be a bit complex to do well, especially when you hit the endgame. 
    -There's a ton of shitheads and douchebags playing 
    -If you play a lot in a short period of time I can almost gurantee you'll burn out. (But every player is different, you could very well be one of those who can play 24/365 without caring)
    -While not even nearly as dangerous as people make it out to be, the game can be quite addicting. 

I'd say you should get it. If you don't have another game to play constantly while waiting for blockbuster games, WoW is definately a good alternative.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By 71Ranchero

Well the content makes it more than worth the monthly costs to me. For 15 bucks I get a near limitless game and a place to talk to and play with my friends. There is not much like going into a dungeon with 4 of your closest friends and having a blast. 

The one prob your going to run into is that WoW in its currant state stops being fun at about 15 and then starts being fun again around 40 but that might be just because I have done that content so many times over the last 6 years.  

Try to get in Symphony's Guild. Those guys are fun and Im sure they will teach you the ropes if you need help.

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
    deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

noooooooooooooooooooooooo000ooo

hakooon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By hakooon

It's a good game, but if you spend too much time with it (like I have), then you will ultimately feel like you've wasted your time. It's pretty fun to level to 80 (except for some parts), and end-game raids are fun the first few times, but then it just becomes a big grind to get better items. Player vs. player is fun for what it is, but it will disappoint you if you're used to competitive multiplayer in other types of games.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#7  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I say give it a try.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DrPockets000

Well, it's installing now.  Taking a loooooong fucking time too.  It's been an hour and it's only at 7%.

plop1920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By plop1920
    @hakooon said:
    "It's a good game, but if you spend too much time with it (like I have), then you will ultimately feel like you've wasted your time. It's pretty fun to level to 80 (except for some parts), and end-game raids are fun the first few times, but then it just becomes a big grind to get better items. Player vs. player is fun for what it is, but it will disappoint you if you're used to competitive multiplayer in other types of games. "

? WoW has the most competitive pvp scene on the mmo market. Maybe not the most balanced but it is extremely competitive at the high levels
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By the8bitNacho
    @DrPockets000 said:
    " Well, it's installing now.  Taking a loooooong fucking time too.  It's been an hour and it's only at 7%. "
    Well it is like a 15GB game, and by "installing" I'd say you mean that you're downloading it.
    DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DrPockets000
    @Kombat said:
    " @DrPockets000 said:
    " Well, it's installing now.  Taking a loooooong fucking time too.  It's been an hour and it's only at 7%. "
    Well it is like a 15GB game, and by "installing" I'd say you mean that you're downloading it. "
    Good point.
    Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hourai

If you like it and want to start paying for it, I'd suggest holding off until the Cataclysm expansion is out. Endgame right now is a fucking mess. 

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By 71Ranchero
    @Hourai said:
    " If you like it and want to start paying for it, I'd suggest holding off until the Cataclysm expansion is out. Endgame right now is a fucking mess.  "
    Thats dumb, if he is going to start he should start now so he can see the changes in Cataclysm. Why miss out on most of the point of the expansion? 

@plop1920 said:
    " @hakooon said:
    "It's a good game, but if you spend too much time with it (like I have), then you will ultimately feel like you've wasted your time. It's pretty fun to level to 80 (except for some parts), and end-game raids are fun the first few times, but then it just becomes a big grind to get better items. Player vs. player is fun for what it is, but it will disappoint you if you're used to competitive multiplayer in other types of games. "
    ? WoW has the most competitive pvp scene on the mmo market. Maybe not the most balanced but it is extremely competitive at the high levels "
    PVP is outrageously competitive. Its also deep as hell if you can get through the barrier of entry. Its true that it has balance issues, but they try to fix it on a patch by patch basis and they do ok at it.
    Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hourai
    @Atramentous:  
    He'd already be missing out on most of the content because people only do two raids (ToC and ICC) now. If Cataclysm is coming out in a few months then I don't see what's so bad about waiting for it, since it will make 1-58 less torturous. He's not missing much. 
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By danhimself

starting out right now on WoW is really expensive...you have to buy sooo many expansions now

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By 71Ranchero
    @Hourai said:
    " @Atramentous:  He'd already be missing out on most of the content because people only do two raids (ToC and ICC) now. If Cataclysm is coming out in a few months then I don't see what's so bad about waiting for it, since it will make 1-58 less torturous. He's not missing much.  "
    Why would he care what raids people are doing? He isnt going to be doing any raiding anytime soon. 1-58 is only torture for people who have done it over and over, If I was coming in fresh and I knew one of the big selling points was the world being destroyed and rebuilt then I would want to see it happen, hell I rolled a new alt just to see the old world one last time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.