Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

2 Red Lights on a cold 360

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

I got my friends xbox last night and plugged it in today and i keep getting the 2 red lights of overheating, but the 360 was disconnected all night... what can i do?

6ZZA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By 6ZZA

mine does the same thing :/

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo
    @6ZZA said:
    " mine does the same thing :/ "
    what do you do?
    DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By meteora

That's pretty strange. There might be some kind of mechanism that's fucked up in the 360 that's telling it that its too hot. Otherwise, someone else might have been playing it at night for a long time before you started the console up. 

How long have you been playing the 360 before the red lights popped up? Is it working now?

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo
    @Meteora said:
    " That's pretty strange. There might be some kind of mechanism that's fucked up in the 360 that's telling it that its too hot. Otherwise, someone else might have been playing it at night for a long time before you started the console up.  How long have you been playing the 360 before the red lights popped up? Is it working now? "
    I haven't played it at all just plugged it in and got that... let me test it now.. nothing... I told him to bring me his power supply to see if it's that..... well see.
    Frostler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Frostler

This happened to me when I moved,  I went through all the troubleshooting stuff and none helped. It ended up working after I just let it sit for a while fully plugged in.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By meteora

Is the room where the 360 is in at the moment, very hot and has no ventilation? If you station the 360 at a higher level in the room, it'll become more hotter since hot air travels upwards. Room temperature just -might- be enough to trigger the two red rings, but I'm probably wrong. Try to see if you can place it on the floor where its cooler. 

Otherwise, I have absolutely no idea why that would cause the problem. I can't think of why it would be the power brick, either.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo
    @Meteora said:
    " Is the room where the 360 is in at the moment, very hot and has no ventilation? If you station the 360 at a higher level in the room, it'll become more hotter since hot air travels upwards. Room temperature just -might- be enough to trigger the two red rings, but I'm probably wrong. Try to see if you can place it on the floor where its cooler.  Otherwise, I have absolutely no idea why that would cause the problem. I can't think of why it would be the power brick, either. "
    its fine... the power brick might help because old xboxs were 205w and new ones a 175 and i got a 175... so maybe it's not getting enough power
    BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By BunkerBuster

Grab a thermometer and make sure that it's actually cold and not that you think its cold. Hopefully your not running that thing at 85 degrees plus. If it's still broken then its red-ringed, it just won't tell you that (Like that bullshit E74 problem) so force it to red-ring and have those assholes at Microsoft fix it.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By agentboolen

Your 360 is cold!?!?  Thats not right...  Sounds like something is wrong with it.  

But seriously if your having problems with it just call Microsoft, I think this would be covered with that 3 year red ring of death warranty.  If its never broken before it was only bound to break sooner or later.

BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By BunkerBuster
    @DuhQbnSiLo said:
    its fine... the power brick might help because old xboxs were 205w and new ones a 175 and i got a 175... so maybe it's not getting enough power "
    Bingo.
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By meteora
    @BunkerBuster said:
    " @DuhQbnSiLo said:
    its fine... the power brick might help because old xboxs were 205w and new ones a 175 and i got a 175... so maybe it's not getting enough power "
    Bingo. "
    DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo
    @agentboolen said:
    " Your 360 is cold!?!?  Thats not right...  Sounds like something is wrong with it.    But seriously if your having problems with it just call Microsoft, I think this would be covered with that 3 year red ring of death warranty.  If its never broken before it was only bound to break sooner or later. "
     its at room temp...
    DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo
    @Meteora said:
    " @BunkerBuster said:
    " @DuhQbnSiLo said:
    Bingo. "
    "
    i hope so...
    garc4475

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By garc4475

sounds like a nice title for a book

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo
    @BunkerBuster:@Meteora:  thanks for the help, it turns out it was fired because it never turned on, we returned it to gamestop

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.