Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

A 360 for a great deal.. but do I care?..

ReFracture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By ReFracture

So my friend is willing to sell me a mid-2008 Xbox 360 with HDMI, 20gb hard drive, wireless controller, and a hybrid SD/HDTV cable kit.. for $100.

This Xbox 360 works fine and is well taken care of, in that it sat in a box for the last year and a half because the owner had no desire to play it.
     So there is nothing wrong with it, it's in great shape.

Yet.. I hesitate. It costs $160 for a used one with no hard drive, so I'm not getting ripped off, not by a long shot (Hell, there is like $50 worth of rock band DLC with the live account he'll give me..)
    I always said, "for the money.." I didn't want a 360. There weren't any games I was super interested in on it (as far as exclusives go) and too many little things about the console itself I dislike.
    Yet now I have one at my feet, for $100, and I feel completely indifferent about it.

I play most of my games on my PC or my PS3, so I don't really miss out on most of the good games that come out.
    Anybody got similar experiences with any system?

I guess if you guys want to try and convince me to take this deal, I need some suggestions on what exclusives on it I should look into.
    I don't care about anything Halo, Gears of War, or Fable related. Those games mean nothing to me. (And Mass Effect 1 and 2 were a PC venture for me... so yeah.)

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By thatfrood

How about you buy it from him, then sell it to me for $140. Bam, you just made 40 bucks.

Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Castro

As far as I know, Deadly Premonition isn't coming out on the PS3 over here. It's probably worth it for that. As someone who doesn't care about Halo or Gears of War either, I think that the 360 is a great system. Primarily for the stuff on XBLA. Stuff like 'Splosion Man and Shadow Complex. It's late and I can't think of anything else at the moment, but at a hundred bucks you should probably just go ahead and pick it up.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Yukoei

Fuck yes, a console for less than the price of two new release games?

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By penguindust

It's always good to expand your horizons, and for that price, it's a worthwhile investment.  There are probably some games that are available on the PC but you'd rather play in the living room on a console.  And, then there are the exclusives you mentioned plus my personal favorite of 2007, Crackdown.  And, with Crackdown 2 right around the corner, it looks like more high explosive, orb collecting action is on the way.  The way I look at it is, since you are a declared PS3 fan (and their is nothing wrong with that) it could only help your overall expertise by having a 360, too.  Being able to compare Forza 3 against GT5 and Heavy Rain to Alan Wake makes you a more rounded gamer. 

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By gunslingerNZ

Just pick it up and sell it off for a profit. I'm like you though don't care about Halo or Gears and although I love Mass Effect I played both of them on Steam.

destruktive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By destruktive

Just buy it to have it.
    Like I did with my wii :P well, I actually use it sometimes but not that often

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

It does sound like a bargain but if it's a bargain for something you don't really want then it's not really worth it. Have a look around the internet at some of the titles on the Xbox 360, see if you can find anything you like the look of and if there are a few games you're really interested in go with the deal, if there aren't then there's not much point bothering.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By oldschool

I hardly ever use my 360.  In fact, the only game I have played on it this year is Rockband.  Hardly a good reason to own it.   However, I have it for the JRPG, but if you don't care for that genre, there isn't a lot to say about that either.  As it is, most JRPG is on the PS3 anyway.  I am really struggling to give you a good reason, but I would get it anyway and use it to pick up clearance multiplatform games where the 360 version has been cleared cheaper.  

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By keyhunter

XBOX 360's are only like 129 bucks right now. So you're not saving all that much considering it is a used console.
    Also you could LOOK THIS SHIT UP ON THE INTERNET IN LESS TIME THAN IT TOOK YOU TO MAKE THIS POST. 
    Also also 100 dollars is by no means a major investment. I spend half that on lunch every day.

Cazamalos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Cazamalos

well  guessing you have already all your friends on PSN/STEAM  paying for a GOld XBL would be useless, so you will end playing single player exclusives(which are very few) and rockband, and personally i would not buy it cuz it's an used 360 and no jasper motherboard (but that's because my country doesn't have official guarantee for those things)

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @keyhunter said:
    " XBOX 360's are only like 129 bucks right now.
    That's the first thing that came to my mind too - tho that is with no hard-drive.
     I'd still rather pay $199.99 for a new one with a 60 gig hd tho (that's the deal around here anyways).
    CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CornontheCobbe

If you enjoy racing games, then Forza 3 is an excellent title that i would highly recommend. 

Also EA Skate games are great fun. Perfect Dark Zero surprisingly is pretty fun, even though there is so much hate for it on GiantBomb. Crackdown is also pretty fun, and the second one seems promising so I'd get it merely for that.

GOREFAST89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By GOREFAST89

@keyhunter:

jesus christ! you spend 50 dollars on lunch everyday?! are you eating like 50 cheeseburgers from McDonalds or just going to red lobster everyday and paying for 2 other people?  
    don't take this the wrong way or anything i mean if you have that kind of money, whatever... but 50 dollars just for lunch everyday sounds absolutely insane for someone like me.. couldn't you just pack yourself a lunch from home?

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @keyhunter said:
    " XBOX 360's are only like 129 bucks right now. So you're not saving all that much considering it is a used console. Also you could LOOK THIS SHIT UP ON THE INTERNET IN LESS TIME THAN IT TOOK YOU TO MAKE THIS POST.  Also also 100 dollars is by no means a major investment. I spend half that on lunch every day. "
    Where on gods green earth are you eating lunch every day?!   :P
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @CornontheCobbe said:
    " If you enjoy racing games, then Forza 3 is an excellent title that i would highly recommend.   Also EA Skate games are great fun. Perfect Dark Zero surprisingly is pretty fun, even though there is so much hate for it on GiantBomb. Crackdown is also pretty fun, and the second one seems promising so I'd get it merely for that. "
    I was gonna say for all the RARE titles, but I figure I'm in the vast minority on that one.
    udabenshen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By udabenshen

I would say get it.  I am a primarily PC gamer, but i hang on to my 360 because of the great XBLA games.  Shadow Complex, Splosion Man, tons of other games.  Plus, seeing how the 360 is the lead sku on a large number of games, it means better performance on a lot of games.

I'm a fan!

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Demyx

To me, $100 is a lot, and I wouldn't buy something that I knew was just going to sit here. I wouldn't waste the money.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By keyhunter
    @JJWeatherman: 2 corn dogs and 2 toquito's, an orangina and a 2 liter of apple juice, 4 salmon maki, a plate of yakisoba, and some ebi sunomono and teriyaki chicken. It adds up.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By oldschool
    @keyhunter said:
    " @JJWeatherman: 2 corn dogs and 2 toquito's, an orangina and a 2 liter of apple juice, 4 salmon maki, a plate of yakisoba, and some ebi sunomono and teriyaki chicken. It adds up. "
    Mmmmmmmmm, yakisoba.   

Man, you must shit like a horse with all that just for lunch.
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By keyhunter
    @oldschool said:
    " @keyhunter said:
    " @JJWeatherman: 2 corn dogs and 2 toquito's, an orangina and a 2 liter of apple juice, 4 salmon maki, a plate of yakisoba, and some ebi sunomono and teriyaki chicken. It adds up. "
    Mmmmmmmmm, yakisoba.    Man, you must shit like a horse with all that just for lunch. "
    Horses shit like every 10 minutes.
    I maybe take a dump once every 2 or 3 days.
    fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By fripplebubby
    @keyhunter said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @keyhunter said:
    Mmmmmmmmm, yakisoba.    Man, you must shit like a horse with all that just for lunch. "
    Horses shit like every 10 minutes. I maybe take a dump once every 2 or 3 days. "
    I have a number for a great doctor if you... Y'no... Want to get that checked out... 
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By keyhunter
    @Fripplebubby said:
    " @keyhunter said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @keyhunter said:
    Horses shit like every 10 minutes. I maybe take a dump once every 2 or 3 days. "
    I have a number for a great doctor if you... Y'no... Want to get that checked out...  "
    It all comes out as burps and farts. S'all good buddy.
    sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By sickVisionz
    @ReFracture said:
    "   A 360 for a great deal.. but do I care?..  
    You're the only one who knows whether you care or not.  From your post it seems like you have a strong dislike for the 360 so I'm not sure why you were ever considering this unless your plan was to buy it for $100 and sell it for more.
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Burns098356GX

If there are no exclusives you have interest in, and you arent interested in the marginal graphics improvement that most  multiplat games appear to have on the 360 over the PS3, then don't waste your money.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

You have a PS3. The 360 "exclusives" that matter are practically all on Steam, so long as they aren't Halo 3 or Gears 2.

I have a 360. I wish I bought a PS3 first instead, and I'll be getting one soon. There are some good XBLA exclusives, though.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MikkaQ

Eh just do what I did with the PS3 and Wii and buy it for the heck of it. Eventually you get used to having it laying around, and might pick up a game or two. 

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By oldschool
    @keyhunter said:
    " @Fripplebubby said:
    " @keyhunter said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @keyhunter said:
    I have a number for a great doctor if you... Y'no... Want to get that checked out...  "
    It all comes out as burps and farts. S'all good buddy. "
    I think your colon may disagree.  Time for a rectal examination for you friend  :/
    ReFracture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ReFracture
    @sickVisionz: 
    The only reason I was considering it is because my friends have them and I would like to be able to borrow games.

Every once in a while a friend and myself swap consoles (Him with my PS3 and me with his 360), but I usually just end up playing games like Mass Effect  or Dead Space... I liked both of these enough that I own Mass Effect on PC and Dead Space on PS3.

Other than Forza 3 and Fable 2, he doesn't even really have any exclusives.. 

I agree that it would make me a more rounded gamer to own a 360, and really I hesitate over this because I have limited funds, it's just my tax return, so I need to be picky about when I buy with it. 

I'll just let this go by. A new motherboard has been leaked out that combines both the GPU and CPU into a single die with re-arranged I/O ports, so maybe a 360 slim is on the way.  My biggest pet peeve with the console is how unreliable they have been, and since this one isn't a Jasper, I'm not thrilled in that area.
    EOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By EOT
    @oldschool said:
    " @keyhunter said:
    You must weigh as much as one too...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.