Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Issue with connecting 360 to Live by bridging connections with PC

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Bigandtasty

I connect my 360 to Xbox Live by connecting it to my PC (via ethernet cable), which gets an internet connection from a wireless router. I bridge the connections and give both the 360 and PC a static IP address. I have also helped one friend connect to Live in the exact same manner with no problems.

A third friend has a problem I can't figure out, though. When his 360 attempts to connect to his router with a static IP address, it fails - even if it has a wired connection to the router. The PC can access internet with a static IP address, but as soon as I enable Internet Connection Sharing or Network Bridge, the connection immediately stops working and the PC can no longer access internet. I do make sure that the static IP does not conflict with the router's DHCP range, so it's not that.

Is this problem related to the ISP and therefore cannot be solved without contacting them? Are there some settings that I am missing?

Router is a D-Link DIR-628; notebook is an old Compaq connecting with a Linksys wpc54g.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

BubbaFenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By BubbaFenix

That sounds more like an ICS issue on the PC. Just for sake of completeness, have you tried connecting the Xbox directly to the modem, just to be sure it can get out? It's all about process of elimination. Keep eliminating possibilities and the answer will eventually present itself.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Bigandtasty
    @BubbaFenix:  That works but if it has a static IP it won't connect at all. 360 IP automatic = great, 360 IP static = no connection.

So there's a possibility that there's an issue with the PC or the wireless card it is using to connect? Could using a different wireless adapter on the PC possibly solve it?

I did search for others having problems with the WPC54G when Network Bridge is up, and it does seem that some are having issues. None of them have offered a solution, though. Perhaps I'll just suggest he buy a relatively inexpensive USB wireless adapter on Newegg/Amazon and see if it helps.
    BubbaFenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By BubbaFenix
    @Bigandtasty: it makes sense that the 360 might not connect to the Internet while using an internal static IP. 

So, the 360 is connecting to the PC via wireless adapter on the 360 to a wireless card in the computer? I've had problems getting that to happen reliably in several situations. 

Why doesn't your friend just get a wireless router and let the 360 connect that way?
    Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Bigandtasty
    @BubbaFenix:  I might have left out some information and/or worded that poorly. The 360 is connected to the PC via ethernet cable. The PC connects to a wireless router using its own wireless adapter, and shares/bridges its connection with the 360 so that it can connect to Live.

He normally has it wired to the router, but wants to move the 360 to a different room and doesn't want to buy the official wireless adapter.
    WEB_War4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By WEB_War4

Have you tried reserving the ip address at the router instead of the pc? When I had my xbox wired to my pc I had everything set to auto. I believe the xbox ended up duplicating the address of the pc. You could also try giving both the same ip.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Bigandtasty

Turns out it was the old wireless card giving us problems. Tried my PC's wireless adapter in his, and it worked without any adjustments necessary.

Thanks for the help all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.