Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

My Xbox 360...S...or slim...or whatever...

PatrickCrider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Edited By PatrickCrider

A lot of ppl say it's not worth the buy if you already own a working 360, but I disagree.  I traded my 360 in at gamestop toward the purchase of the newer model, and upon comparison, think it's a great purchase. When I would run my original 360, it sounded like the aftermath of an old man who happened to be an out of shape chain smoker running up a hill. Like it could die at any moment. But, with this new one it runs like a champ and now I'm not worried about an eventual hardware failure. But we'll see. Hopefully, the "red rings of death"  or whatever it is now on this new system actually is a thing of the past.

PatrickCrider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By PatrickCrider

A lot of ppl say it's not worth the buy if you already own a working 360, but I disagree.  I traded my 360 in at gamestop toward the purchase of the newer model, and upon comparison, think it's a great purchase. When I would run my original 360, it sounded like the aftermath of an old man who happened to be an out of shape chain smoker running up a hill. Like it could die at any moment. But, with this new one it runs like a champ and now I'm not worried about an eventual hardware failure. But we'll see. Hopefully, the "red rings of death"  or whatever it is now on this new system actually is a thing of the past.

droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By droop

It uses less power, makes less noise and doesn't run as hot. It has built in wi-fi and a 250GB harddrive.

It's worth it.

PatrickCrider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By PatrickCrider

I've noticed the "whisper-quiet" aspect of it isn't so true unless you install the game on your hard drive. Luckily, there's plenty of space to do just that.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By meteora
    @PatrickCrider said:
    " I've noticed the "whisper-quiet" aspect of it isn't so true unless you install the game on your hard drive. Luckily, there's plenty of space to do just that. "
    And really, if you're not making much use of the 250gb HDD for installing games, I will smack you in the head. 

Its well worth the purchase if your old 360 is starting to show signs of failing and you want a nice model upgrade for the same price as the original.
    PatrickCrider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PatrickCrider
    @Meteora:  I agree entirely. Now I'm going to go install more games...lest I get smacked in the head.
    Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Crono

I traded mine in to GameStop but only because my 360 has been broken for about 3 months.  It starts up and works for about 10-15 minutes before it crashes hard; just long enough for them to check, and pass, the system's integrity.  I like the new model much better :)

themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7  Edited By themartyr

What happens to all your gamesaves etc on your old Xbox? 

I was looking up those transfer cables, and many stated that they didn't work with this new Xbox...

SkyMasterson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By SkyMasterson
    @themartyr said:

"What happens to all your gamesaves etc on your old Xbox?  I was looking up those transfer cables, and many stated that they didn't work with this new Xbox... "

No they work. Though very few experience transfer corruption, which loses all of your saves, but from what i gather, that's rare.  

I actually used a usb flash drive to transfer over all of my saves and select arcade games and  was very fast and effective, except for one flaw that kinda pissed me off. You can't bring over any original xbox saves or DLC, which is a bummer. 

Edit: Wanted to chime in that I traded in my launch xbox(refurbed many times and replaced) last week for the new 360 and oh my lanta is it quiet and sexy. It's also nice not having to worry about hd space every again! WOOOO. I don't have any need for wifi but it's nice to for peace of mind and of course if I move one day and end up needing it. 
    septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By septim

I really like the new look of the Slim, but I don't use Wi-Fi and I get by with my 60gb just fine. It was tough to pass up the Gamestop offer but I figure I'll wait for the much rumored $299 Slim / Kinect bundle if I get anything. Not that I really want Kinect that much... I just want my  new hardware to be, well, new hardware...

PatrickCrider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PatrickCrider
    @themartyr:  I used a thumbdrive to transfer data over to my new 360. It worked fine. You will, however, have to perform a "license transfer" for all of your DLC to work.
    themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11  Edited By themartyr
    @PatrickCrider: And what the heck, pray tell, is a licence transfer?
    PatrickCrider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Afroman269

I enjoy my new 360 also. It was worth it and it now matches my sexy glossy obese ps3. Now to switch out the wii with a black one......

immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By immike

So in short: New 360 is quieter and seemingly more reliable? This has been covered, but I still think getting one when you already have a 360 is not the best plan. If it plays games, it should last a bit longer. I'd say wait til that one bites the dust, and then go for the slim model. To each their own though, I suppose. 

PatrickCrider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PatrickCrider
    @Afroman269:   I plan on getting a black wii myself...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.