Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Need help streaming media to 360

Avatar image for testicleteaparty
    TesticleTeaparty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TesticleTeaparty

I've got my 360 and PC on the same network and all that jazz I just want to know how I can select the content that is available from my PC on my 360. After around 10 minutes of hand picking songs and pasting them into windows media player's libray I switched to the 360 to find that only around 8 songs showed up when I selected the music tab, however if I select my whole music folder and drag it into the library it  works with every song but theres around 15 gigs of music and most of it isn't mine so it's alot to sift through when listening while playing. Not sure if I'm clear enough on what i want to do (I'm not all that good at putting shit into words) but basically I want to know how to select specific content to stream to my 360.

Any help appreciated.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Rowr
    DrVanNostren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By DrVanNostren

Yeah, I can't seem to get my 360 to work with my PC either. The Xbox just doesn't recognize it.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Rowr

My PC recognizes my xbox, but not the other way around.

Its all sorts of complicated with it going through the router etc. I think ill have to ring support.

Frustrating because i can pick it up from my uncles computer in the other room, but not on the computer its connected to.

I definetely dont want to buy that stupid dongle for $160. What a rip off.

BionicIguana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By BionicIguana

You running Media Player 11 on your PC? 

ZimpanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By ZimpanX
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Rowr
    ZimpanX said:
    "

WMP 11>library>media charing>accept 360>library>add to library

Reconfigure or disable your firewall if needed

Start streaming

"
    I totally wish it were that simple.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Vinchenzo

I also have had problems with this. A year ago or something it was pretty simple, I just tried hooking it right into the PC and it did fine. Can't replicate that since. Are we all using Vista here? Because when it did work for me I had a XP computer, so I'm guessing it might be a problem with Vista. (Although feel free to tell me I am wrong.)

LightYagami245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LightYagami245

Maybe you don't have the correct OS for it. Do you have XP or Vista?

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Rowr

The vista computer in the house works fine with it. My xp one does not.

The vista one picks it up wirelessly through my router and into the xbox using the ethernet port (which i also use for live).

My xp computer has the router plugged into it. I figure it should work, but perhaps it will only work wirelessly.

LightYagami245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LightYagami245
    Rowr said:
    "The vista computer in the house works fine with it. My xp one does not.

The vista one picks it up wirelessly through my router and into the xbox using the ethernet port (which i also use for live).

My xp computer has the router plugged into it. I figure it should work, but perhaps it will only work wirelessly."
    That may be the reason.
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Rowr
    LightYagami245 said:
    "Rowr said:
    "The vista computer in the house works fine with it. My xp one does not.

My xp computer has the router plugged into it. I figure it should work, but perhaps it will only work wirelessly."
    That may be the reason."
    yeh. I tried plugging it in directly, but got no response either.
    Ill probably just call support next weekend.
    TesticleTeaparty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TesticleTeaparty

It's not a format issue because ALL the music works when I copy the whole folder into media player's library.I have  XP and the xbox is connected via a gateway that is then connected to the modem but I doubt this has any real effect. I guess I'm just going to have to have a fiddle in media player's settings though that hasn't produced any positive results as of yet. I'll try what zimpan suggest though it sounds familliar. /Edit/ Just tried that - realised I just had to add my music folder under a list which is rather counter intuitive as I didn't want to add everything in the folder. Why can't microsoft make anything as simple as it should be? That's why macs have the edge - though I'll never buy one.

And for everyone having trouble getting their 360 to recognise the PC - try resetting to factory defaults. I know you've probably tried this already but for some reason this solved alot of problems for me including this and an issue with strict nat.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Meowayne

Windows Media Player can automatically import every Musicfile from your harddrive. Theres an "add to media library" function somewhere that automatically searches your harddrive and adds everything it finds. Then, make sure the folder containing your music is shared in the network - That solved every X360 problem I had.  Use XP and WMP11.

TesticleTeaparty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TesticleTeaparty

Uhhh okay so after getting this to work and playing some gta4 online I turned off my 360 and went ot do some other stuff. After returning to my 360 today I can't connect to xbox live. On the connection test it fails the 'xbox live' part. I can still stream media to my 360 however. Any ideas?

byoung210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By byoung210

i use Zune. but these should apply to WMP11 in pretty much the same way. i make sure "Sharing" is turned on and select the media types to share. i also have it watching the correct folders. make sure your firewall is not blocking the Zune sharing software. in your Task Manager it's called "ZuneNss.exe" ("wmpnetwk.exe" WMP11).

also, one other thing i noticed. you may have to reboot your PC/Xbox 360 before they will actually recognize each other. i say this because, sometimes when i add new music or videos, my 360 doesn't see them. if i reboot my PC then it does. hopefully this helps.

and it shouldn't matter if you are wired or wireless. as long as everything is on the same network, it should work.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.