Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Networking Help

AnnonOMous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By AnnonOMous

Right, I thought I knew enough about networking to not have to post a topic on a forum...  But hey, I'm not ashamed to ask for help.

So, here's how it goes, my only internet is a mobile broadband internet dongle which I use from my (Windows 7 running) laptop.  Since day one, I've been able to create an ad-hoc (with manual IP settings) which has allowed my gf to connect her laptop to the internet via the ad-hoc, my laptop and the dongle.

After about a month, I threw a 360 into the mix and everything works fine (so long as i remember to create the ad-hoc on my laptop BEFORE turning the 360 on, or else it becomes a mess of having to create a different named ad-hoc).  Today, I attempted to add a 2nd 360, and that's where the problems began.

On the testing, I can get both 360s to connect to network and both to connect to internet, but I can only get 1 to connect to XBL at a time...

Here's the static IPs I'm using for all 4 machines.

my laptop :
    IP 192.168.0.1
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway (blank)

Primary DNS (blank)
    Secondry DNS (blank)

GF's laptop
    Sebnet 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway 192.168.0.1

Primary DNS 192.168.0.1
    Secondry DNS (blank)

First 360
    Sebnet 255.255.255.0

Primary DNS 192.168.0.1
    Secondry DNS (blank)

Second 360
    Sebnet 255.255.255.0

Primary DNS 192.168.0.1
    Secondry DNS (blank)

BTW, the dongle doens't have a regular web page-like settings (i.e. typing in the dongles IP won't bring up anything in IE/firefox since it's basicly redirecting it to my laptop...)  Also to note, the problem only occurs with the 360s, both laptops are fine and uninterupted.

jessej07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By jessej07

Are the two 360s using two different XBL gamertags?  Sorry for the silly question but it wasn't specified.

AnnonOMous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By AnnonOMous

Nope, moved my gamer tag to the new console and the brother uses his on the old.

BrokenCage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By BrokenCage

Can you get them both to connect to the internet at the same time?  

Sounds to me like it might be an issue with the Xboxes having the same ID. Thus when one connects, it boots the other.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.