Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Should I do something?

whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By whackmypinata

Let me start off by saying I am a loyal Xbox 360 customer, and have owned Xbox 360s (plural) for over 2 years. After my first 360 died after 2 years, I knew I had been lucky for having a console last that long.  I then got a second 360 from repair, which was fine for 2 months until it started scratching disks. Now this is where it gets tricky.
    I had just bought the BlockBuster gamepass, which is essentially unlimited game rentals 1 out at a time. The first game I rented was a copy of Civilization Revolution, and it was pretty awesome for the 2 hours it worked properly. I had no idea what had happened. Next day, brought it back to the store and put it back, because I thought it was just my Xbox. I thought this because my 360 had been making strange noises as of that time, and I wasn't sure why. Then I rented Soul Calibur 4, it worked fine.
     I had SC4 for three days, went back to Blockbuster to return it for Madden 09 which was coming out the day I was heading over. Eagerly awaiting trying it out with a friend, I got back home and popped it in. The game disk worked until the end of the 1st quarter of every game I tried playing.  I go back to Blockbuster telling them it didn't work and they said I was crazy because I was the first one who had rented it. At the time, I was not aware of the potential of the Xbox 360 to scratch your disks. Then I exchanged the copy for a new one, brought it home, eventually had the same problem.
    I had eventually noticed a scuff in the same spot on every disk I put in. I realized this with the latter Madden 09 copy I had, and I tested it with a copy of Sneak King I got for  50 cents at GameStop. After reading this topic, (which I was directed to from a thread here on GiantBomb) I'm inspired to do something about this. I wasn't able to get the full experience of the BlockBuster game pass which I paid $25 for, because of Microsoft's faulty product. Not to mention that BlockBuster has 3 scratched disks laying on their shelves. Now my question is, should I contact Microsoft support and try to get some compensation? What the guy in the topic above mentioned is nagged the crap out of EA, because he knew his rights. I'm tired of these 1 mo. Xbox Live cards every time I get for the repair of my 360, how about something serious?

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By brukaoru
    should I contact Microsoft support and try to get some compensation?

It wouldn't hurt to try, but I somehow doubt that will do anything for you. At least you can get some frustrations out, though, plus you can see how support handles your situation.

Good luck!
    whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By whackmypinata
    brukaoru said:
    "
    should I contact Microsoft support and try to get some compensation?

It wouldn't hurt to try, but I somehow doubt that will do anything for you. At least you can get some frustrations out, though, plus you can see how support handles your situation.

Good luck!"
    Thanks.
    It would definitely be out of principle. I had tried calling the 1-800-4MYXBOX number and they told me they can only replace games that Microsoft manufactures (in other words 10 or so games). I would be happy with Microsoft points as compensation. I just want to let them know that not everyone is going to just let this happen to them. It's one thing if they repair your console for you, but if you continually support them to have games you spent $65 on become spontaneously unplayable..
    I definitely am curious to see how they will handle my situation. I don't want to scream at the one sorry person that has to answer my call, they're only the messenger. But I guess that's what they are there for.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By BiggerBomb

How has a class action lawsuit not been leveled against Microsoft? This is fucking ridiculous. Isn't the failure rate something along the lines of 35%? I'm "lucky" because I have had an Xbox 360 last for around 2 1/2 years; alas a few days back it finally kicked the bucket. I have friends who have already gone through multiple 360s so I don't want to be "that guy" who will start complaining, but even I am angry for my Xbox 360 to have failed. On the other hand, you do actually have a legitimate right to be seriously pissed off and I don't blame you.

I am just going to get an Elite and attatch my current HDD to it instead of getting screwed by customer support. If you have the money, I suggest you do the same. Otherwise, raise some fucking hell!

whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By whackmypinata
    BiggerBomb said:
    "How has a class action lawsuit not been leveled against Microsoft? This is fucking ridiculous. Isn't the failure rate something along the lines of 35%? I'm "lucky" because I have had an Xbox 360 last for around 2 1/2 years; alas a few days back it finally kicked the bucket. I have friends who have already gone through multiple 360s so I don't want to be "that guy" who will start complaining, but even I am angry for my Xbox 360 to have failed. On the other hand, you do actually have a legitimate right to be seriously pissed off and I don't blame you.

I am just going to get an Elite and attatch my current HDD to it instead of getting screwed by customer support. If you have the money, I suggest you do the same. Otherwise, raise some fucking hell!"
    Exactly. I'm willing to be that guy just to show them something. I wasted 25$ for 6 days of game rentals.
    brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By brukaoru
    whackmypinata said:
    "I definitely am curious to see how they will handle my situation. I don't want to scream at the one sorry person that has to answer my call, they're only the messenger. But I guess that's what they are there for."
    Oh yeah, I hope you wouldn't do that. I for one would hate to work in a customer service department, those people probably take all kinds of crap that isn't their fault. Those people are just working at a job, nothing more. Though I'm not going to defend every single customer service person, there's always a few that can be nasty to customers.

It really is a shame that the 360s have such problems, not just RRoD, but discs scratching and videocard issue, it's just a bad piece of hardware. All I can say is, the next xbox better be 100% compatible with 360 games, because I'll be wanting to play some of these games in the future and it would be too late to get a 360 fixed in a few years after the warranties are expired.
    whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By whackmypinata
    brukaoru said:
    "whackmypinata said:
    "I definitely am curious to see how they will handle my situation. I don't want to scream at the one sorry person that has to answer my call, they're only the messenger. But I guess that's what they are there for."
    Oh yeah, I hope you wouldn't do that. I for one would hate to work in a customer service department, those people probably take all kinds of crap that isn't their fault. Those people are just working at a job, nothing more. Though I'm not going to defend every single customer service person, there's always a few that can be nasty to customers.

It really is a shame that the 360s have such problems, not just RRoD, but discs scratching and videocard issue, it's just a bad piece of hardware. All I can say is, the next xbox better be 100% compatible with 360 games, because I'll be wanting to play some of these games in the future and it would be too late to get a 360 fixed in a few years after the warranties are expired.
    "
    I will be tamed enough on the phone, but not too quiet that they don't feel they have to give me compensation.
    It truly is a terrible thing for the Xbox 360 to be so unreliable. I think I might try the writing a pissed off but gets my point across efficiently e-mail or letter to Microsoft if the phone support doesn't work out well.
    I'm going to try calling them not at 1-800-4MYXBOX but rather whats mentioned in this topic.
    DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By DARKIDO07

Is your Xbox 360 in the vertical or horizontal potion? If its in the vertical it tends to scratch your disks. I found that out the hard way.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#9  Edited By wefwefasdf

The only time I have seen compensation given is when you act horrendously mad.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By StaticFalconar

Nah man, that's just what happens when you buy good old american made products.

Maybe you should do the other American thing and sue.

whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By whackmypinata
    DARKIDO07 said:
    "Is your Xbox 360 in the vertical or horizontal potion? If its in the vertical it tends to scratch your disks. I found that out the hard way."
    Horizontal.
    SpikeSpiegel said:
    "The only time I have seen compensation given is when you act horrendously mad."
    If necessary, I will do it.
    Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Wolverine

That just sucks, I don't know what you should do.

whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By whackmypinata
    Wolverine said:
    "That just sucks, I don't know what you should do."
    Thanks for being honest. I'm going to call up anyways; what's the worst that can happen?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.