Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

So my 360 just broke.

Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Relys

Yeah, I'm pretty fucking sad right now. I was playing COD4 when everything on the screen got tinted red. I backed out to the dashboard and everything on the screen looked like it was had a really bad red tint. I restarted it and now my 360 won't output video, but it will output sound. I tried it with 2 different TV's. Two different HDMI cables, and regular composite cables. Everything turns on and I don't get a RROD but the screen on my TV remains black.

I got a RROD message about 4 months ago, but It had been fine since, and I think it was because I ejected the disk right when it was starting up. What's really weird to me is why everything looks normal but it won't output video. I got my 360 last Christmas.

I guess I should call the support number and ask for a repair right? (Well, not right now, there's little kids running around my house screaming) I checked online and I'm still under warranty.

I'm thinking

A. My graphics card is flat out fried. (Which should probably give me a RROD).
    B. The video output somehow short circuited.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Jayge_

That's what happens when your 360's innards melt.

Yeah, call support later.

AlexB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By AlexB

I got the RROD 2 Days Ago. I feel you're pain. Have fun going through Max's phone hell maze and then talking to an indian dude that barely speaks English.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Player1

Have fun talking to people with less knowledge of the english language than 4 year olds!

Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Relys
    AlexB said:
    "I got the RROD 2 Days Ago. I feel you're pain. Have fun going through Max's phone hell maze and then talking to an indian dude that barely speaks English."
    The crazy thing is I'm not getting a RROD error message.. Oh well, I'll call them up tonight.

Actually about half a year ago my Wii overheated (While trying to play SSBB), and I had to get it fixed. The customer service was fine there, so I hope Microsoft's is as good.
    smurfkiller82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By smurfkiller82

Microsoft are pretyy good push for some extra MS points for being put out. I got 2100 for my xbox crashing.

LightYagami245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By LightYagami245
    Relys said:
    "AlexB said:
    "I got the RROD 2 Days Ago. I feel you're pain. Have fun going through Max's phone hell maze and then talking to an indian dude that barely speaks English."
    The crazy thing is I'm not getting a RROD error message.. Oh well, I'll call them up tonight.

Actually about half a year ago my Wii overheated (While trying to play SSBB), and I had to get it fixed. The customer service was fine there, so I hope Microsoft's is as good."
    Not that good, but if you're patient, it's not that bad. How did your Wii overheat? I thought they couldn't?
    TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Good thing you've had it for less than a year, because you'd have to tell them you got RROD if you didnt.

SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By SSbabel

I know what your going through man, just breath call Microsoft and send it off the sooner you send it away the sooner you get it back for Fable 2 wooohoooo.

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By giyanks22
    AlexB said:
    Yes, but his name is Steve.
    brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By brukaoru
    giyanks22 said:
    "AlexB said:
    Yes, but his name is Steve."
    Max? I don't why but I found that funny, lol.

You shouldn't have a problem with Microsoft's repair service.
    logson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By logson

As a last effort, try changing the output resolution. I know you can't see anything when you turn it on, but here are the controller "strokes" you need to do this:
    right, right, right, A, A, A, then:
    hold up for 480p, hold up and press down once for 720p, hold up and down twice for 1080i, and hold up and down three times for 1080p.

If you have standard definition cables and want controller strokes for how to change to standard def, PM me (I'll have to hook them up myself, so I won't bother yet on the chance that you don't have any.)

Good luck.

Carlos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Carlos

Oh man last year when my 360 RROD, all i got was 3 months of free xbox live :(

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By xplodedd

you can simply send it to microsoft. mine is three years old. RROD'd one year ago.
    send it in, got it fixed. 3 months of xbl.
    just do it.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Cirdain
    AlexB said:
    lol i'm Indian and I barely speak Hindu. And I don't have the weird accent.
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By keyhunter

I have a backup 360 just in case.

Solid_SnakeXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Solid_SnakeXx

PS3 FTW?

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jayge_

Get out of here, Snake.

Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Relys
    logson said:
    "As a last effort, try changing the output resolution. I know you can't see anything when you turn it on, but here are the controller "strokes" you need to do this:
    right, right, right, A, A, A, then:
    hold up for 480p, hold up and press down once for 720p, hold up and down twice for 1080i, and hold up and down three times for 1080p.

If you have standard definition cables and want controller strokes for how to change to standard def, PM me (I'll have to hook them up myself, so I won't bother yet on the chance that you don't have any.)

Good luck."
    Thanks I already tried that lol.

Also the lady on xbox live support told me to power on my console, press my dashboard button, and then hold down the right trigger and Y to reset the settings.
    MerlijnVH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MerlijnVH
    Relys said:

Also the lady on xbox live support told me to power on my console, press my dashboard button, and then hold down the right trigger and Y to reset the settings."
    I'm guessing that didn't work either? Hmm, it sucks man.
    My 360 is two years old now and I've never had a problem with it, I guess its different for everyone.

Something which did get my attention, though, was the fact your Wii also had problems because of heating issues?
    Whats your gaming setup like? Most people forget that the 360 is essentially a PC, you need to keep it well ventilated.
    If its inside a tight and closed TV cabinet then the hot air will prevent the 360 from cooling properly. Which in turn results in hardware failure.
    NateNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NateNinja

I just got the RROD on my console yesterday. I flipped out because it was an arcade console and I thought those wouldn't get the rings. Luckily the towel trick worked for me so I can still play until the box gets here.

DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22  Edited By DARKIDO07

Maybe your Video Output cables aren't in all the way, or your TV switched video sources.

Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Relys
    MerlijnVH said:
    "Relys said:

Also the lady on xbox live support told me to power on my console, press my dashboard button, and then hold down the right trigger and Y to reset the settings."
    I'm guessing that didn't work either? Hmm, it sucks man.
    My 360 is two years old now and I've never had a problem with it, I guess its different for everyone.

Something which did get my attention, though, was the fact your Wii also had problems because of heating issues?
    Whats your gaming setup like? Most people forget that the 360 is essentially a PC, you need to keep it well ventilated.
    If its inside a tight and closed TV cabinet then the hot air will prevent the 360 from cooling properly. Which in turn results in hardware failure."
    It's in an open TV closet. I live in Alaska so it's not very warm inside anyways. (Heating bills are fucking expensive up here). They have plenty of room to breath, so I don't think that's the problem.. Just crappy hardware. Remember the N64? Now that thing was built like a fucking tank.

DARKIDO07 said:
    "Maybe your Video Output cables aren't in all the way, or your TV switched video sources."
    Did you even read my thread?
    BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By BigBoss1911

Ugh.....I don't want to get my 360 fixed now.

shadowjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By shadowjak
    Player1 said:
    "Have fun talking to people with less knowledge of the english language than 4 year olds!"

See, that's ignorant to say. They probably speak more languages than you do, can communicate with all sorts of people(including ways to say sh*t about you can't understand). they are their almost all day just to show you sh*t they have listed on the site. Appreciate them for they have nothing but good for you with their job.
    calf_exercises

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#26  Edited By calf_exercises

its under warenty so the sooner you ring MS the sooner you will be able to start gaming again/

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.