Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox Live

Concept »

Xbox Live is Microsoft's online gaming service.

My take on what XBL will become

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By fripplebubby

Well, my title pretty much set up my mindset, so i'll just spit it.  

I was playing a little 1 vs. 100 on XBL tonight, and it kind of set off a crazy glimpse into the future for me. In my personal opinion, the whole format for 1 vs. 100 is what we're starting to see and will be seeing a lot more of, especially when Natal is released. I foresee shiny, wii-like graphics on interfaces and avatars doing strange things with no regard to their personal image on many more applications soon to come. If you haven't seen 1 vs. 100, I advise to take a look, so we're all on the same page here. I don't know about you, but I didn't buy a 360 for it to gradually become a Wii. Admittedly, the motion-controller for 360 looks a lot better and more refined, but that's only because they don't want to copy the Wii exactly, isn't it?  

I'm not trying to diss any Natal developers, and i'm sure they've put in a lot of effort. All i'm talking about are the core elements here. In any case, I didn't mean for this to be another post about Natal, but actually about the shiny, avatar-toting graphics of what seems to be what XBL is moving towards. I just kind of find the whole thing irrelevant to the gaming experience I was hoping to buy into.  

Anywho, am I missing something, or is it just that Microsoft wants us to be sucked into the whole avatar-fueled, community-interacted, shiny-graphic-ed idea? That sentence didn't really turn into what I wanted, but that's basically what i'm trying to get across.

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By fripplebubby

Well, my title pretty much set up my mindset, so i'll just spit it.  

I was playing a little 1 vs. 100 on XBL tonight, and it kind of set off a crazy glimpse into the future for me. In my personal opinion, the whole format for 1 vs. 100 is what we're starting to see and will be seeing a lot more of, especially when Natal is released. I foresee shiny, wii-like graphics on interfaces and avatars doing strange things with no regard to their personal image on many more applications soon to come. If you haven't seen 1 vs. 100, I advise to take a look, so we're all on the same page here. I don't know about you, but I didn't buy a 360 for it to gradually become a Wii. Admittedly, the motion-controller for 360 looks a lot better and more refined, but that's only because they don't want to copy the Wii exactly, isn't it?  

I'm not trying to diss any Natal developers, and i'm sure they've put in a lot of effort. All i'm talking about are the core elements here. In any case, I didn't mean for this to be another post about Natal, but actually about the shiny, avatar-toting graphics of what seems to be what XBL is moving towards. I just kind of find the whole thing irrelevant to the gaming experience I was hoping to buy into.  

Anywho, am I missing something, or is it just that Microsoft wants us to be sucked into the whole avatar-fueled, community-interacted, shiny-graphic-ed idea? That sentence didn't really turn into what I wanted, but that's basically what i'm trying to get across.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By toowalrus

It seems like Xbox is becoming more Wii like, and the PlayStation is becoming more like the Xbox 360 was right at launch. However, what really matters to me is the games, and not the interface surrounding them. So I don't really care how much they do with avatars, motion controls, social networking... It's the games that I'll base my console decision making on.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By cstrang

Well, it's a good thing that the 360 is still going to be a 360 at heart.  I don't think game developers are going to use Natal that much, because I'd bet that it is going to be particularly difficult to develop for.  So, let XBL become that, but the real games (you know, those things that actually determine the long-term success of a console) aren't going to change too much.

webby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By webby

This is what I want from Natal...well imagine a game say Assassins Creed 2/ Oblivion etc and all of the people in the game you can actually speak to (speak into the mic on Natal) and they will recognize what your saying in a really really intelligent way and react to you. 
    So no speech choices from a list, they react to what you say. 

Edit: But for this to work, our AI needs to be way smarter. But hey maybe in 10 years.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By EpicSteve

If Microsoft can balance everything, I'm all for it. I really like where they're at right now.

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By fripplebubby

Well I don't mind all this avatar stuff, really, but this is all effort that could be spent on something I would actually want. Like ironing out their crappy customer service for one thing... 

But until then i'll be happy with "Avatar Marketplace"

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jkz
    @Webby said:
    " This is what I want from Natal...well imagine a game say Assassins Creed 2/ Oblivion etc and all of the people in the game you can actually speak to (speak into the mic on Natal) and they will recognize what your saying in a really really intelligent way and react to you. So no speech choices from a list, they react to what you say.  Edit: But for this to work, our AI needs to be way smarter. But hey maybe in 10 years. "
    I'd say a good deal more than 10. If you had an AI that could interact on a personal level with the player, we'd be done with video-games.

No, I'd say look for Natal to be used to splatter paint, randomly jump around to get an avatar to mimic your movements, and to allow the player to make a digging movement to dig in Fable 3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.