Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Finally part of the current gen again!

scrappypixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Finally got myself an Xbox One and joined the current generation once more. The reasoning for the Xbox One was mainly due to most of my friends being on the platform and Halo 5. I'll write up some of my impressions at some point in one way or another.

Anyway, what's worth getting folks? Any first or third party games that are a must?

I've being thinking of grabbing MSG V tomorrow and I'm about to start playing Massive Chalice but just wondering what is worth grabbing. I play a fair spread of games to be honest, everything from sports games to rpgs.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

I love Sunset Overdrive. D4 maybe if you like Swery. Drew seems to be enjoying MGS5 on Xbox One, though based on the comparisons I'm glad I went PC.

@redglovesociety: I bought a PS4 for bloodborne and don't regret it (well, I technically bought it for The Last of Us Remastered but with the idea that I would be getting to play Bloodborne). A lot of multiplatform titles are better on PS4, if not all of them, and I think the interface is a hell of a lot better but that's all changing on Xbox soon anyway.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

The Witcher 3 will keep you busy for a good long time. And at this point, the Master Chief Collection works well and gives you a ton to do. Even worth buying for the Halo 2 Anniversary stuff, and I never even liked Halo 2.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#5 chaser324  Moderator

Sunset Overdrive is probably my favorite console exclusive that I've played so far this generation. Forza Horizon 2 and Forza 6 are also both great if you're looking for a racing game.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Franstone

Forza Motorsport 6 or Forza Horizon 2.
    Halo MCC but Halo 5 is so close.
    GTAV if ya haven't played it.
    Of course, The Witcher 3.
    Haven't played it yet but Valiant Hearts is free right now as well as Tomb Raider.
    For 5 bucks you can get EA Access for the month and play any sports game or Battlefield 4, Dragon Age Inquisition, Garden Warfare.
    Just to mention a few out of my list.
    Titanfall?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#

Sunset Overdrive is probably my favorite console exclusive that I've played so far this generation. Forza Horizon 2 and Forza 6 are also both great if you're looking for a racing game.

Yes. I don't know why Sunset Overdrive kind of came and went, it was fantastic! The humor can be annoying, but it's not nearly as bad as people said, and the gameplay is polished and joyful. Plus the game just has a fun positive attitude and is a nice antidote to grimdark and games that take themselves too seriously.

Forza Horizon 2, which you mentioned, is the only competition it has for favorite exclusive of this generation that I've played.

Should mention that Shadow of Mordor GOTY is $16 on Xbox Live right now. Haven't played it but a lot of people loved it so OP should pick that up if he's interested.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Assuming you haven't picked it up yet, Sunset Overdrive is probably my favorite Xbox One game and maybe even my favorite new generation title. It's like Ratchet and Clank fused with Crackdown and it's just so fun. Some people seem to really hate though for some reason, I'd have to imagine it's the humor or something, but I thought that was refreshing given how bland and beaten open world games are these days.

Hardly anyone bought it so the price is pretty damn low these days. I think last I checked it was $25-$30 on Amazon.

Young_Scott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It sounds like everyone has mentioned some cool exclusives already (particularly Sunset Overdrive, Forza and The Master Chief Collection), but I also want throw The Rare Replay Collection out there! (I love me some Digger T. Rock, but there are some quality N64 ports on there!)

I don't actually own an Xbox One yet, but these are the exclusives that interest me for the future. The new Tomb Raider should be pretty solid, too.

betterley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As many have said already, get Sunset Overdrive.
    It's almost a sin not to play it if you have an X1, that game is great!

Also, don't forget about Below. The game isn't out yet, but it looks super promising. Can't wait.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I'm going to echo a lot of previous comments on this. Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 2, Forza Motorsport 6 and The Master Chief Collection are all great recommendations. To those I'd add Ori and the Blind Forest which might still be my favorite game of this year above MGS V and the Witcher 3, both also fantastic games.

I'm also a big proponent of EA Access, even though I know a lot of people hate it. But the vault catalogue has grown large enough to justify the 25 dollar annual price. They've added Titanfall there recently, Battlefield Hardline is coming this month and all of last years sports games are available already.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Add me to the Sunset Overdrive support bandwagon, that game doesn't really get its due drops. It seems like the game gets disproportionate heat for its sense of humor -- it's as though people don't have any tolerance for a few dud jokes, or every attempt at a gag has to be explosively hilarious rather than just passing for mildly amusing. Regardless, the game is superb.

For some reason I've started playing Forza Horizon 2 a lot lately. It's Forza sim racing in a "friendlier" environment. I got it thrown in with my Sunset Overdrive bundle, and only really wanted to race the fancy hypercars like a dirty casual (which, by-the-by, is friggen awesome, incredibly exhilirating, and super satisfying when you get it right) (oh, and also, get a McLaren P1 when they start throwing lots of prize money at you, get the AWD drivetrain swap for it, and thank me later), but recently I took the plunge by turning off basically all the assists at once (I don't even have rewind, though I haven't switched to manual or sim damage) and dialing up the Drivatar difficulty to Pro, and I'm kinda hooked. Whilst the game lacks any explicit "how to race properly" tutorials, some of the challenges encouraged me to assume more control over the car, such as drilling a specific speed zone over and over again (maybe with rewind...yeah I'm a dirty cheater) until I understood how to take various corners correctly. There's a lot of depth to the racing, there's a nice variety of side stuff to do, and there's a stupid amount of content -- I've long ago got my money's worth and the game tells me I'm ~30% done. Thematically the "Horizon festival" can get cringey (some corporate exec's vision of a Mediterranean electro-pop hipster rave, but with cars), but it's usually just sunny and pleasant with pretty views and the fun ridiculousness of getting skill points for running your car through outdoor cafe tables, so kinda like Sunset Overdrive you can completely overlook the more cringe-inducing stuff.

That said, Killer Instinct is what made me go out and buy a 'Bone, and it's the thing I've spent by far the most time doing, especially after my other games ran out of gas (well, FH2 still has plenty left in the tank...bluh, unavoidable pun). In fact, I returned to gaming altogether after years off, because Microsoft really got behind this fighting game I enjoyed as a kid, and the game actually ended up teaching me how to play fighting games properly. If you're interested, I recommend getting the game, jumping into the Dojo, reading this excellent guide by KI community member Infilament and the free Shoryuken beginner's guide ebook, messing around in Practice Mode, and fighting a whole lot of Shadows in the Shadow Lab. (Ignore Story Mode. You should probably avoid story/arcade/traditional single player modes in any fighting game if your goal is to actually learn to play properly. Largely for reasons of reaction times, fighting game AI normally undermines the gameplay mechanics.) For my money, KI's Shadow Lab is the only way, short of having a player group or slugging it out against real opponents online, to learn to play a fighting game for real. And man, this has easily been one of the most rewarding things I've ever done in gaming.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redglovesociety: @alistercat: I think more pertinently, "better on PS4" is almost an insubstantial thing. Maybe that's just me coming to this generation after skipping the X360/PS3 (I was a Nintendo fanboy, and I got a Wii eventually, but when Nintendo dropped out of the war I just kinda...lost interest, I guess), and thinking, "you guys are all nuts, all these games look far, far better than any game has any right to look, and you're still all bitching about models and lighting and p's like assholes while overworked devs have night terrors about angry gamers", but I have to assume that if the 'Bone outnumbers the PS4 by even one exclusive that you're interested in, then it can't matter how many multiplatform games look slightly better or feature extra bad Destiny strikes or whatever. Substance over style, an' all that. Right?

...right?!?

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By Tom_omb

In the wake of the disappointment of Tony Hawk Pro Skater 5 Sunset Overdrive is a game that scratches the sweet flow of environment traversal itch.

Ori and the Blind Forest and Rare Replay are neat. Tomb Raider and Fallout 4 (with promise of mods on xone) are coming soon too.

Dragon Age Inquisition is worth playing too, The Witcher 3 may have eclipsed it in the fantasy RPG conversation lately. I know there are a lot of long ass open world RPGs out there, but if you have any love for Bioware RPGs it's worth your time. That is if you didn't play a last gen version of it.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I dont whether people are still playing it but Titanfall is great, still one of my favourite games from this gen. Dead Rising 3 is also good if you like that kind of thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am enjoying Forza 6 quite a bit.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Keep an eye out for Quantum Break. I love Remedy and that's the one game that made me stop to think about getting an XBONE before getting a PS4. So now you have to enjoy it on my behalf :P

budgietheii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What does this platform willy waving have to do with Xbox One game recommendations for the OP?

Will have a look a my collection later but think people have already hit the highlights. If you don't mind the lack of permanent ownership the EA access library really is a very good starting place now.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Forza: Horizon 2 is my favorite game i've played this generation.

Forza 6 is amazing as usual.

Sunset Overdrive is great and is normally around $30 on the store page, well worth it.

So many others, Tomb Raider: Definitive edition, if you haven't played the original is also really good.

Avatar image for nashvilleskyline
    Nashvilleskyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say in order:
    Sunset Overdrive ( probably my favorite exclusive so far)
    Forza 6 (best thing I've played this year by far and I'm not that much of a car guy)
    Ori and the Blind Forest (fantastic, short and doesn't overstay it's welcome)
    Master Chief Collection (usually pretty cheap and it's a good "curiosity/historical" collection)
    Binding of Isaac rebirth (cheap and great)
    Those are the ones that come to mind.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By pweidman

For fpsing stuff: Titanfall and/or MCC, or the most current form of Destiny. For mass zombie genocide: DR3, lol. For racing: Forza 6(sim, and god I'm in love w/this game), or Forza Horizon 2(more arcade). RPG: Witcher 3, Dragon Age Inquisition. ARPG:Diablo 3 Ult. Evil Ed. Action:Tomb Raider:Mos Def(was free recently maybe still). Indie: Valiant Hearts(free now I think). And..... don't miss out on Halo 5 and Fallout 4 soon. :-)

Enjoy the current gen duder.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fantastic time to pick one up. Things finally seem to be ramping up this year with console releases, and there are a few gems from the past year or so to go check out.

Sunset Overdrive is cool, but I didn't love it (you can probably get it pretty cheap now though). Shadow of Mordor has some really cool ideas in it, and it's worth checking out just to form your own thoughts on. Forza Horizon 2 is really cool if you're looking for a racing game that is more about freedom than simulation. It still uses a realistic-ish driving model and real world cars, so it isn't super arcadey, but it is probably the closest you'll get on consoles these days.

Witcher 3 is awesome, but be prepared to spend a lot of time to get anything out of it. MGSV is mechanically one of the most interesting shooters I've ever played, but it's also the first in the series that I felt like did a bad job with presentation (too many audio logs and a real weird pacing).

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just purchaed one to replace my original i sold somewhat unwillingly and also quite enjoying new forza. I do wonder if the entirety of the killer instinct content has ever gone on sale. Not sure if i'm willing to put down $60 for it.

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sunset Overdrive is awesome and can be picked up pretty cheaply!

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By civid

I imagine the Xbone will be dirt cheap in European countries like Denmark in a year or two, since it doesn't really sell 'round these parts so I'll probably wait for that long and buy one for Fallout 4 primarily.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.