Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Good HDMI Cables for Xbox One X

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Hey, folks.

I’m hoping someone here can give me a good recommendation. I have an Xbox One X hooked up to an LG OLED (2017 C series). The included cable works great. I’ve tried other, longer cables to poor results (no 4K, no HDR, etc.).

Is there a good 20’ cable I can snag off of monoprice, amazon, or wherever that’s suitable for Xbox One X?

Cables I’ve grabbed in the past have all been HDMI 2.0 with the usual specs (1.8Gbps, HDCP 2.2, etc.), but they haven’t worked properly. I’m eyeballing 20-25’ cables as I’m snaking these through a passage in my mantle (to hide them).

If anyone has had success with long HDMI cables outputting 4K/HDR content, I’d love to know what you got so I can give it a try, myself.

Thanks!

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By hmoney001

I've never had issues with my monoprice HDMI cables.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By frytup
    flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

20' is awfully long for a 4K HDR 4:4:4 cable. It's not so much a quality question as you're fighting Transmission Line Math. Even with a very good cable you better hope your TV has very good signal impedance matching and the Xbox One X does also.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but the signaling will be marginal no matter how thick the cable. Even if it works today if you change consoles or TVs it might no longer work. I would recommend seeing if there's a way you can get down to a 10' cable or 15', you might be happier in the long run.

Two shorter cables with an active repeater in the middle would be the next step if you can't get a longer cable to work.

Apparently people are rating HDMI cables by "gbps" now. Perhaps an 18gbps cable/repeater is what you need for 4K HDR 4:4:4?

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the feedback, folks.

I know 20’ is a tall order for HDMI cable pushing that much data. I’ll see if I can find a way to shave 5’ from my run.

I’ve used monoprice before, but I wonder how much I’m just pushing up against technical limitations with my run.

If all else fails, maybe a repeater will suffice. I don’t really want to run my consoles on Wi-Fi, or move my modem as we just finished some renovations...more food for thought.

Thanks again!

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the passive premium cables don't work out for you, active cables might be a decent alternative to sticking in a repeater.

My experience with them isn't great, though. I tried a 35' run from my PC to TV (1080p at the time) and could never get it to work reliably.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By OurSin_360

Hdmi 2.0 rated cables should work, make sure you are using the right hdmi port(some tvs only have 4:4:4 and 60hz 4k on certain ports) also some tvs have to enable something like "enhanced mode" or something. I got one off amazon that works with my pc, i will post a link in a few.

HDMI Cable 15 FT - Braided Cord - 4K HDMI 2.0 Ready - High Speed - Gold Plated Connector Tip(s) - Ethernet / Audio Return Channel - Video 4K 2160p, HD https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YNI7G8O?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Avatar image for deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61
    deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

For your needs, you don't want your HDMI cable to go over five meters (roughly 16 feet) if possible...unless you get a fiber optic HDMI cable, in which case distance won't matter, but having enough money (they are expensive) will.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't buy that. As noted previously, HDMI cables are rated by bandwidth capacity not version numbers these days. Unless it specifically says it can handle 18Gbps, it probably can't manage 4K/60.

Just stick with certified cables. It's worth the relatively small extra cost to avoid wasting time with cables that don't perform as advertised.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, I got a little side-tracked in life, but got a Denon AVRX1400H on sale and grabbed a 15’ monoprice HDMI certified 18gbps cable.

Everything is clean, snaked, and functional. Thanks!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.