Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

MS Build 2016: "Moving forward, all our games are shipping on Windows 10 and Xbox"

Avatar image for thelastgunslinger
    thelastgunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

Per Ars Technica's live blog of the on-going event, Phil Spencer just told the audience that "Moving forward, all our games are shipping on Windows 10 and Xbox."

That's a huge move for the company and definitely an interesting one. With Quantum Break launching on both next week and the rumors going around for ages that Gears of War 4 will come to PC I can't say it's totally unexpected.

As a high-end PC owner that also has an Xbox One I just hope the cross-buy precedent they're setting with Quantum Break holds.

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Oh shit, they're actually doing the Dev Mode conversion thing too. Talking about it on the stream now.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

All Xbox's are now dev kits.

OnionKnight14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By OnionKnight14

Additional news that I've gathered:

• Every XBox can become a dev unit
    • It is very easy to convert any game from win32 into UWP App (ex the Witcher 3, Age of Empires II HD)
      • Adds Live Tiles, notifications, XOne controller support for the games
    • Single store across all devices
    Avatar image for thelastgunslinger
    thelastgunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By thelastgunslinger

@onionknight14 said:

• It is very easy to convert any game (ex the Witcher 3, Age of Empires II HD) into a UWP app
    • Open system

They also announced that Cortana and custom background music will hit in the same update. More details to be announced at E3 (I wonder if it'll end up being one of those "and it's out today" announcements).

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kudo just hugged it out bro.

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They've got an Andross/Sigma head floating around a Hololens demo now... We should all be very afraid.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

@onionknight14 said:

• It is very easy to convert any game (ex the Witcher 3, Age of Empires II HD) into a UWP app
    • Open system

They also announced that Cortana and customer background music will hit in the same update. More details to be announced at E3 (I wonder if it'll end up being one of those "and it's out today" announcements).

Background music is something I've missed. That will be a welcome addition.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• It is very easy to convert any game from win32 into UWP App (ex the Witcher 3, Age of Empires II HD)
      • Adds Live Tiles, notifications, XOne controller support for the games
    • Single store across all devices

This part is really interesting. It makes it more believable that there will be multiple iterations of the Xbox One in the coming years, maybe even Microsoft making Steam Machine-like Xboxs. You could have your high end Xbox that could play Witcher 3 on the best settings, and then the low end Xbox that runs it on the current console settings. The fact that Witcher 3 was an example, and not other games that are exclusive to PC, makes me think that.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I must have missed something but during the event, Phil Spencer spoke about converting AoEIIHD to UWP but it was still just a Steam game as it still had Workshop support and the Steam overlay, how does that work?

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@onionknight14 said:

• Open system

They also announced that Cortana and custom background music will hit in the same update. More details to be announced at E3 (I wonder if it'll end up being one of those "and it's out today" announcements).

If this means the return of custom soundtrack support in games, that's the best announcement I've ever heard.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thelastgunslinger said:
    @onionknight14 said:

• Open system

If this means the return of custom soundtrack support in games, that's the best announcement I've ever heard.

I figure it just means the ability to play music on an app running in the background instead of needing to have it snapped. I doubt they're talking about a return to the OG Xbox days of in-game soundtrack support, although I miss the good times of playing Rallisport Challenge 2 and having it blare a random Audioslave track at the start of the race. As long as they add some sort of control interface that can be easily accessed mid-game to skip tracks, pause, play, and stop, I'm happy. Hell, I'm happy it's coming at all, as I'll have playlists streaming from my phone at the very least.

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MS is making some big plays.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They might as well take the Xbox out back and shoot it.

Great news for everyone who plays primarily on PC tho.

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Time to start planning an actual gaming HTPC.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Well I was gonna buy an xbone so I can play forza games but now it looks like I wont have to.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure it was the Turn 10 guy that said that, not Phil Spencer.

Although it pretty much looks like MS is gonna do that anyway.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I don't see anyone else reporting that all first party games will be on Xbox One and Windows 10 going forward, just all Turn 10 games.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I was gonna buy an xbone so I can play forza games but now it looks like I wont have to.

FWIW, I've never seen any indication that the existing Forza games will come to PC, and that they're making "Apex" as basically a Forza 6 demo instead of just porting the game over somewhat confirms that they don't plan to. Horizon 2 and Forza 6 are the best of the series and among the best racing games ever made, so you're missing out if you never give those a try. Maybe Horizon 3 and Forza 7 will be just as good or better, but they've set a pretty high bar.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devil240z said:

FWIW, I've never seen any indication that the existing Forza games will come to PC, and that they're making "Apex" as basically a Forza 6 demo instead of just porting the game over somewhat confirms that they don't plan to. Horizon 2 and Forza 6 are the best of the series and among the best racing games ever made, so you're missing out if you never give those a try. Maybe Horizon 3 and Forza 7 will be just as good or better, but they've set a pretty high bar.

Well I know that. But once Forza 7 is out I wont need to bother with 6.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it's all locked inside the Windows 10 app store and its system it's not going to help PC players much at all.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bite the bullet and pay Gabe his blood money. Chuck your gear on Steam where the users are and make bank that way.

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I hope that they eventually put Halo 5/MCC on PC. That's about the only stuff that's come out that I want.

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Yeah I don't see anyone else reporting that all first party games will be on Xbox One and Windows 10 going forward, just all Turn 10 games.

Yeah, OP is wrong. It's only Forza games.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rafaelfc said:

Not sure why you would assume there are more PC players than Xbox players. I understand that this is a gaming forum but most people including the staff live in a gaming bubble. You look at PC sales (business sector aside) and they diminish almost every quarter. Also i would assume the majority of people buying PC's nowadays are buying laptops or tablets, not desktop.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
    GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really glad I held back on buying an XBO. Looks like my windows 10 PC will play all of it's games.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

@rafaelfc said:

No? A lot of people still prefer the easy, straight forward way of consoles.

And if they can play together with PC, even better.

This is great for the Xbox, not bad.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@zombie2011: I've heard this a lot but I'd like to see details behind it. Is this just prebuilt numbers? Does it include the folks that are buying individual parts and assembling their PC because that's what most gamers are doing. Not saying you're wrong just trying to figure out where the disconnect is since many sources also claiming that PC game sales are very healthy right now.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombie2011: I've heard this a lot but I'd like to see details behind it. Is this just prebuilt numbers? Does it include the folks that are buying individual parts and assembling their PC because that's what most gamers are doing. Not saying you're wrong just trying to figure out where the disconnect is since many sources also claiming that PC game sales are very healthy right now.

I'm basing mine off of quarterly reports of PC manufacturers, Apple and MSFT. Also what does PC games sales are healthy mean? Healthy compared to what? Healthy to me means quarterly growth. Yes PC games might be selling well, but what types? I like everyone I personally know own a laptop so all my steam games are indie games.

Also no casual gamer is building a PC, they are buying a console, and as we've seen from the moves MSFT, Sony and Nintendo have made over the past 10 years the casual market is where the majority of the money is to be made.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By Shivoa
    @zombie2011 said:
    @big_denim said:

I'm basing mine off of quarterly reports of PC manufacturers, Apple and MSFT. Also what does PC games sales are healthy mean? Healthy compared to what? Healthy to me means quarterly growth. Yes PC games might be selling well, but what types? I like everyone I personally know own a laptop so all my steam games are indie games.

Also no casual gamer is building a PC, they are buying a console, and as we've seen from the moves MSFT, Sony and Nintendo have made over the past 10 years the casual market is where the majority of the money is to be made.

Of the 270 million Windows 10 computers out there, MS says "over 40% of the people running Windows 10 are playing games". That's 100 million gamers on the platform. Even if we assume Spencer was including Xbox One devices (as they do technically run Win10 now), we also know that there are only about 19 million of those about so that's still 80 million Win10 PCs used for games. Although who knows what that really means considering Candy Crush comes preinstalled with a default Win10 installation - let's do a sanity check on that:

In January there were an estimated 55 million Steam users running Windows 10 according to the Valve hw survey data. There were also 100 million active Steam users running other OS (from that one copy of WinXP that comes preinstalled on every PC in China to the many people still on Windows 7). More data, pointing at quite a large pool of customers who don't all buy the same 3 games (Madden, CoD, etc) but do buy and play games.

I have previously said that we can no longer rely on hardware sales, because who knows if you're buying that Intel chip to never play games on or if, like my new laptop, you're running Dota2 1080p+ just fine with the integrated graphics. Like, the Intel drivers are still not good enough but I can easily see someone spending 1000 hours in Civ V on that 15 Watt SoC because it's totally viable to play well beyond 1080p with that SoC and that game. But back when we could count gamers buying PC hardware (and we knew they were gamers because at the time Ultrabooks and cheap laptops didn't get discrete GPUs and who would pay for a GPU when iGPUs could do everything anyone wanted for 2D/desktop?) then there was a healthy pool of tens of millions of purchases happening each year. Now I can run Civ V and Dota 2 on integrated graphics (Intel Iris) so we're well into to murky tea-leaves point of guessing how many people are buying new gaming hardware each year. You're not buying an 8mm thin PC with a portable low-power SoC primarily to game on, but you can totally be a gamer on one playing all sorts of new games. Hell, The Division technically runs despite being not officially supported at all and not running great (but if we want to make comparisons, it runs about as well as JC3 on consoles does :D). But nVidia certainly aren't going bust from lack of demand for gaming GPUs.

PC gaming: if you think consoles are the big players standing next to PC then you need to think of PC as a massive, wide pool of a hundred million people paying for various different games while consoles are the narrow pool that's deeper but contains less water (customers): each spot check (individual game sales) can often be deeper on console (although major landmark sales for games have come from PC in the past from various titles so it's not like no PC games can hit well beyond typical sales and blow up beyond 10 million units sold) but the PC ecosystem generally sells more types of games to more different people - there's a reason why indie was born on PC and continues to focus on that platform (now console groups will bend over backwards to get indie stuff onto their platform to round out their offerings).

Not every Xbox game is going to outsell the console version on PC, but the cost of porting is far lower than the cost of developing a new game so that's not exactly a problem. MS are looking for revenue and probably eye the 20 million PC copies of Diablo 3 as being something they'd love a piece of. Rise of the Tomb Raider sold about 330k units on week one of XBOne availability. Despite being a late port, the Steam version (so ignoring Windows 10 Store sales) was tracked as selling about 315k copies on PC on week one. This is compelling data indicating there is a AAA PC market for MS to go after for their 1st party games (especially if they're looking to advertise their app store where they take a tasty 30% cut of every sale).

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@zombie2011:

Steam growth as of 2015 according to Valve

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/pc-gaming-expected-to-drive-pc-sales/

http://www.cnet.com/news/playing-games-on-the-pc-is-making-a-comeback/

We need to stop associating PC sales with PC Gaming. PC Gaming is a very different animal. In general we need to think of the platforms that drive pc gaming (Steam, Origin, UPlay, GoG). Just because HP Desktops aren't selling doesn't mean people aren't buying parts to make PCs.

Based on those articles, there is certainly some growth in the PC gaming sector and I think MS wants to capitalize on that. Gaming in general is growing yes, but even the GB staff have admitted that consoles as they exist today could possibly disappear faster than we think. Streaming services, multi-brand upgradeable devices (Steam Box, Upgraded Xbox, Sony TVs with Playstation Now, etc) could potentially be the next wave. I think PC is more well equipped to handle that change whereas 6-7 year life cycle boxes can't keep up with the rapid growth in technology these days.

Not saying it is going to go this way for sure, but there are definitely signs pointing towards gaming being less about the hardware and more about the platform/service (Steam, UWP Xbox, Playstation Now).

With all that in mind, the real beast here is mobile gaming which is rapidly gaining on its already major lead over PC and Console Gaming ;)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.