WIll the Xbox one work?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by acer51 (34 posts) -

I noticed with all the reversals M$ would have to make a lot of software an hardware changes and only a few months before release. Although the changes are positive I have to wonder, will the new Xbox be ready by the holiday season? and if they release it then will the system be ready? I question there ability to change the used game software the always on mechanism, adding an on and off witch to the kinect and still have a 100% ready system.

I'm probably wrong if they want to they'll probably be able to make all the desired changes without error but still this looks like the seeds of a RROD.

#2 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4209 posts) -

Yes.

#3 Posted by Carryboy (681 posts) -

I fucking hope so I'm going to be pretty pissed if I drop 400 plus quid on it and the fucking thing doesn't even work.

#4 Edited by Sackmanjones (4705 posts) -

That's the next 180 they are taking. "Because our fans demanded it, we are now shipping the Xbox one.... Broken in box. Open the box and return it, demanding your money back. It's that simple."

#5 Edited by JayEH (533 posts) -

I hope so

#6 Edited by BIGJEFFREY (5062 posts) -

Kinect Will receive a update that requires your blood to recognize you and boot up the console.

#7 Posted by Sergio (2130 posts) -

Day one software and/or firmware update. The system will most likely work fine.

#8 Posted by Syed117 (387 posts) -

Hmm. probably not.

It will probably explode the first time you plug it in. Might want to set it up outside just in case.

#9 Edited by spraynardtatum (2971 posts) -

As long as you have a credit card on file!

#10 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2304 posts) -

Nope. It will blow up the second you plug it in.

#11 Posted by kaos_cracker (588 posts) -

Duh.

#12 Posted by AlexGlass (688 posts) -

@acer51 said:

I noticed with all the rever$al$ M$ would have to make a lot of $oftware an hardware change$ and only a few month$ before relea$e. Although the change$ are positive I have to wonder, will the new Xbox be ready by the holiday $ea$on? and if they relea$e it then will the $y$tem be ready? I question there ability to change the u$ed game $oftware the alway$ on mechani$m, adding an on and off $witch to the kinect and $till have a 100% ready $y$tem.

I'm probably wrong if they want to they'll probably be able to make all the de$ired change$ without error but $till this look$ like the $eed$ of a RROD.

Fixed your $pelling error$. You were accidentally u$ing an s in $ome place$.

#13 Posted by GunstarRed (5189 posts) -

Yes. The second you switch it on the Kinect comes to life and you will be assimilated like the Borg.

#14 Posted by EchoEcho (827 posts) -

My eyes kind of glaze over anytime I see MS spelled with a dollar sign.

#15 Posted by AlexGlass (688 posts) -

@echoecho said:

My eyes kind of glaze over anytime I see MS spelled with a dollar sign.

I just automatically assume I'm going to get trolled if I actually take the time and respond seriously.

#16 Posted by TruthTellah (9116 posts) -

Define "work".

Will it work perfectly? Probably not, as none of these consoles release working perfectly.

Will it function well for most things? Probably yes. It has been tested and will likely perform regular tasks well enough.

#17 Posted by Chaser324 (6551 posts) -

None of the changes that have been made are hardware changes, so I'm not sure I understand why you think they're going to contribute to hardware problems.

Moderator Online
#18 Posted by Quarters (1707 posts) -

I like to the think it'll go full Manhattan Project the second you turn it on.

#19 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

It will work, but for how long?

New RRoD coming up. I guarantee this

#20 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

There is a article some where saying the X1 will sense if it overheats and shuts itself off.

#21 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4352 posts) -

M$

I'm so witty

#22 Edited by Chaser324 (6551 posts) -

@nekroskop said:

With any piece of hardware there's going to be units that fail. So sure, there will be a new error indicator, and I'm sure someone will end up with a bad unit on day one and circulate a photo of it around the internet. However, I feel pretty confident in saying that MS has probably put a lot of time into making sure the failure rate on the Xbox One will be far lower than the 360.

Moderator Online
#24 Posted by cheapandtacky (128 posts) -

@acer51:

What hardware changes have there been? I saw a gpu cycle increase rumour but that's just software.

When they announced the changes they said you'd need to connect at setup, so I fully expect a pretty substantial day 1 patch then it'll be ok from there.

#25 Posted by Chaser324 (6551 posts) -

Locking this down. Seems pretty clear from the first 20 or so responses that there's probably no productive discussion to be had here.

Moderator Online

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.