Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Xbox One Launch Questions

realph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

No Caption Provided

With just under 36 days until Xbox One hits, I had a questions that seem to be unanswered no matter how much I search online. I wondered if the Giant Bomb community could help me shed come light on these burning questions I had:

1. TV: Are the TV features they revealed at the original Xbox One reveal a lock for day one? I mean, are they partnering with all the cable companies or just a few? Will those different boxes support all the TV guide features, fantasy football etc. What about other areas in the world? I'm from the UK, where Sky is dominant. Will I be able to plug in my Virgin TiVo box and watch football and enjoy the perks of stats and scores for example?
    2. Entertainment: Will the usual suspects have apps ready for launch? You'd assume Microsoft are working with the likes of YouTube, Netflix, HBO GO and ESPN to have apps ready to go on launch day.
    3. Digital Games: Since the 180, Microsoft have been pretty quiet on this front. I think it's been confirmed that games will launch day and date alongside retail, but what about price? Pre-loading? Downloading through the web-app and coming home to a finished download. I'm planning to go down this rabbit hole and wouldn't mind a little more info on the perks of a digital locker.
    4. HDMI Pass-Through: I'm pretty sure Major Nelson confirmed you could plug an Xbox 360 into an Xbox One. What does that even mean, and is that a workaround for backwards compatibility. Can I play Xbox 360 games with the Xbox One overlays or doesn't it work like that. Again, I'd like a little more clarification on the HDMI-In.

Maybe these have been answered elsewhere, but I can't seem to find them. Any help with these or sources where these questions are answered, I'd be eternally grateful.

Thanks!

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Question 1. No. As far as I know the features, with concern to sports, are North America only. The other TV stuff should work as the box is a pass through device.

Question 2. Yes they'll be available at launch.

Question 3. Microsoft already let you download games away from your 360 and it finish before you get home so chances are this feature will be in use. As far as pre loading neither Sony or Microsoft has confirmed that feature yet. As far as game prices they will probably be the same price as retail at least for now.

Question 4. You can do that but it's ill advised. Doing that adds a noticeable amount of lag so while it's possible don't bother.

If you're wondering I've seen Microsoft makes Statements on these here and there over the last few months so the sources are out there if you want to make sure I'm not talking out of my ass.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Question 1. No. As far as I know the features, with concern to sports, are North America only. The other TV stuff should work as the box is a pass through device.

Question 2. Yes they'll be available at launch.

Question 3. Microsoft already let you download games away from your 360 and it finish before you get home so chances are this feature will be in use. As far as pre loading neither Sony or Microsoft has confirmed that feature yet. As far as game prices they will probably be the same price as retail at least for now.

Question 4. You can do that but it's ill advised. Doing that adds a noticeable amount of lag so while it's possible don't bother.

If you're wondering I've seen Microsoft makes Statements on these here and there over the last few months so the sources are out there if you want to make sure I'm not talking out of my ass.

X1 will allow pre loading for games.

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just to add another question rather than start a new thread. Will the Xbox One come with a headset? The Gamespot news article saying that adapters for the Xbox 360 headsets will be out next year but all launch consoles come with a headset (Eurogamer also reported that consoles would come with the headset but then the UK distributor for Microsoft said this was not correct). So it has left me confused as to whether this is misinformation that a headset will come with the machine or that it is actually accurate and that there will be one?

Thanks.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By bigjeffrey

@johnlocke: It will come with a headset, 3rd party Xbox 360 headsets cannot be used until 2014 when the adapter comes out.

This is the headset that ships with the Xbox one, all units

No Caption Provided

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tobyus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That headset does look good. The way they described it against the 360. I like that green line there! Really fine!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.