Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

The classic tactical turn-based combat returns in this modern re-imagining of X-COM: UFO Defense.

This Game Is Fantastic! THE LAYERS SUCK!

Zuldim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Zuldim

So, I love the game, it's phenomenal, but I do have one major complaint. During fights in buildings (or while trying to travel through buildings) or other structures, it seems like the UI is extremely twitchy and difficult to control while switching layers, as pieces of the building's floor/ceiling will appear/disappear at random. It's gotten to the point where I've gotten squad members killed before, because I couldn't tell, OH HEY, THERE'S A BIG HOLE IN THE CEILING WHICH THAT THIN MAN CAN SHOOT THROUGH.

Am I the only one having this problem, or is the UI for this as terrible as it seems? (Keyboard and mouse, by the way.)

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Ostensibly its easier to control with a gamepad. Dude with tauren avatar will be in here momentarily explaining how to fix it for mouse and keyboard. I'll eventually buy this game and this is probably going to dictate which platform I purchase it on, even if it winds up being slightly more expensive.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae53b407571
    deactivated-60ae53b407571

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Heard actually that there was some manner of bug with what you're mentioning. Rockpapershotgun mentioned layer problems at least in their review.

Let's hope it gets patched.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Fredchuckdave: The layer selection issue has nothing to do with the control scheme. It depends mostly on elevation. You just zoom out with the mouse wheel to see and select higher elevations.

@Zuldim: Seeing through layers can be finicky regardless of controls, simply due to the camera behavior and the way the game/camera treats terrain either seeing through it in awkward places or clipping through it messily in cinematic shots.

Zuldim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Zuldim

All right, good to know it's not just me. Hopefully it gets patched soon, as it's a really ugly spot on an otherwise great game.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Ravenlight

Layers occasionally bug the fuck out for me too. Like, I'll try to select the roof of a building to manage my sniper's position, but as soon as I try to move him, the camera starts rapidly freaking out between the roof and ground level, making it impossible to but my guy where I want him.

Everything else works fine, though. I'd assume that the first parch that drops will address this bug.

bushpusherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By bushpusherr

I haven't really had any major issues with it to the point where I'm positioning guys in mistaken spots or anything, but it often times when I have people indoors with a low ceiling, the default camera position is outside the structure. So, even when I zoom in to see where I'm going, every time I switch to a different soldier or they attack someone, the camera automatically returns outside and I can't see what's happening. More annoying than debilitating, but otherwise this game is fucking awesome

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.