Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Dec 10, 2009

Decide the fate of the 9 kidnapped people who are trapped on a ship and forced to play the Nonary Game, where players put their life on the line.

This game is great and you should feel bad for not playing it

• 56 results
    Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By LordXavierBritish

Why is no one talking about this game, Jesus fucking Christ. 

It's like, what if you made a Phoenix Wright style adventure game with logic puzzles kind of like Layton while stealing the room escape concept from all those not so hot flash games and then slapped an M on the front of the box so that you could make it gory as fuck and actually have people die as a consequence of your action or, you know, have any kind of branching story path at all. 

GENIUS.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By benpack
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    "And the best part is that everyone can potentially die, which means I can't spoil anything! 
    Well, you sorta spoiled a bunch here... just telling us that people can die is an experience the player should figure out on his own. Accidentally reading through this post has made me want to play this game less.
    shadyspace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By shadyspace

Way to spoil the shit out of a game you're trying to convince people to play.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Slaker117

All I could think about when reading that was Butchie getting killed in "The Wire". And that made me think about Omar Little killing people in "The Wire".

Now I want to watch "The Wire" again.

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By LordXavierBritish
    @GlenTennis said:

" @LordXavierBritish said:

"And the best part is that everyone can potentially die, which means I can't spoil anything! 
    Well, you sorta spoiled a bunch here... just telling us that people can die is an experience the player should figure out on his own. Accidentally reading through this post has made me want to play this game less. "
    That's like saying that knowing everyone can die in Mass Effect 2 is a spoiler. You are told from the outset that everyone can die, that is part of it. 

In fact, the back of the box pretty much says you can die. 

@shadyspace: This post now applies to you as well.
    benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By benpack

"@LordXavierBritish:
     You had me at  "It's like, what if you made a Phoenix Wright style adventure game with logic puzzles kind of like Layton while stealing the room escape concept from all those not so hot flash games and then slapped an M on the front of the box so that you could make it gory as fuck and actually have people die as a consequence of your action or, you know, have any kind of branching story path at all.

And then you go into about how the characters can die, and you throw stuff in like 
    " And everyone has bombs in their intestines so they always die in the worst way possible except for the Axe Ending  where everyone dies in the best possible way that someone could die in any game ever."

The Mass Effect comparison isn't valid, because the whole time they're like
    "IT'S A SUICIDE MISSION"
    Not to mention it was one of the largest marketed games of the year. I never even heard of this game, and it seems like this is a game I would want to know as little as possible going in. If you would have stopped after the first paragraph I would have almost had to go out and buy it.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I bet the blind guy never saw it coming.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By nintendoeats

Is there any action in this game? Because if not than A: I am interested and B: I might get it for my mom.

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LordXavierBritish
    @GlenTennis: Every review and preview I've read has talked about the possibility of character death because it's so prevalent. It's what drives the entire plot.

I went in knowing this and it didn't detract from the experience at all, in fact it improved it because i knew that the possibility of death was very real. 

Almost everything that you read about this game is going to talk about it because, well, that's what the game is about. 

It's about trying to not die.
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By nintendoeats
    @S0ndor said:
    " I bet the blind guy never saw it coming. "

No Caption Provided
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nintendoeats said:
    " Is there any action in this game? Because if not than A: I am interested and B: I might get it for my mom. "
    If you mean in the gameplay, then no. 

If you mean in the story, then yes. 

God yes.
    benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By benpack
    @LordXavierBritish: 
    The difference is I haven't read anything about it.
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@GlenTennis: Well now you have.
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By nintendoeats
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    " @nintendoeats said:
    " Is there any action in this game? Because if not than A: I am interested and B: I might get it for my mom. "
    If you mean in the gameplay, then no.  If you mean in the story, then yes.  God yes. "
    I meant gameplay. So it looks like at some point at least one copy of this game is going to be sold.

But Steam sales, Christmas and some ongoing projects have me loaded up for at least a few months.
    ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By ESREVER

I dig the enthusiasm, but finding out these things on your own is part of the experience. This game was filled with "Oh, shit!" and "Wait, WHAT?!" moments, half the thrill was encountering them on your own. 
    I can see how people who have not played it might think the post is spoiler-ific because they don't know anything about the game. But really, most of the information about the plot of the game in the post is incorrect. 

The next section is for those who want to know more about the game, without spoilers.

The gameplay is as such. You know those crazy escape the room games you'd find on the internet? The most infamous being the Crimson Room. Well the puzzles are largely based on those kinds of game mechanics. The puzzles are always the same every time you encounter them. So its the same puzzle every time you enter that particular room. Nothing random is changed, no values are different compared to the first time you entered it. 

The majority of the playthroughs will have you entering three of the nine doors. And each room may present opportunities to branch the story off onto a new path. So you can see where multiple playthroughs are necessary to understand everything going on in the game. 

The next part of the game is the visual novel bits. This will most likely be where you spend most of your time in the game. But the dialog and story bits are done so well, I had no problem sitting back and getting absorbed into the game's plot. There were many times when I was sitting straight up in my chair, literally on the edge of my seat as I was tapping through the dialog scenes. They are so well-done and delivered in a manner to make every character feel unique and like a real person. The story's themes are very similar to that of the movies Saw and 23. It also presents a lot of interesting, real-life theories that make the player think, and may even encourage them to look them up for further detail (Similar to the theories presented in Assassin's Creed). Although, researching the themes for yourself IS NOT required to understand what is going on in the game.

Then there are some mini-game-esq portions of certain puzzles in a room. Things like rotating a wheel, or solving a number puzzle. Nothing incredibly complex, but still fun to interact with. 

And I will stand by this statement to the end. 999 had the most satisfying and best ending I have ever encountered in a game. The final segment gave me goosebumps while I was still playing it. The game utilizes all the themes it presents so freaking well, its mind-blowing. 

999 also has a pretty good soundtrack. It's a bummer that the dialog wasn't voiced-over for those who don't like to read. (I rarely enjoy reading. The only few books I have read have been Ender's Game and Eric Nylund's Halo novels) But in this case I didn't mind at all. Maybe its a good thing it didn't have VO. There's a chance there may have been a voice there that I didn't like, and run the risk of focusing on that character's voice rather than what was happening in the game.  

BAD END... GET? 
    This track gives me goosebumps everytime I hear it. Makes me remember the HORRIBLE endings available. (Horrible as in "OH MY GAWD WHY?!" Not horrible as in quality.) 

But yea, people really need to play this game. In my opinion, easily the best DS game of 2010, and best story in a game for 2010 (or best story ever). 

Sorry for the long-winded speech! I'm really passionate about this game, and I wish more people experienced it for themselves. Its one of those games I wish I could erase my memory of it, and play it again. Just so I could experience all those crazy mind blowing moments for the first time again. 

Easily one of my top 3 games from 2010. 

BUY IT!

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Azteck
    @S0ndor said:
    ZING!
    dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By dragonzord
    @S0ndor said:
    I don't know ,he has an eye for this kind of stuff
    Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zoner said:
    " @S0ndor said:
    I don't know ,he has an eye for this kind of stuff "
    Still, I doubt this is how he had envisioned his future, to be staring death in the eye so soon. He still had so much to look forward to. Now he'll never get to see his loved ones again. 
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By dragonzord
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    " @ESREVER: Oh I am very aware that most of my post is utter bull shit that, while mentioned in the game, has little do with the actual plot.

"
    You should just turn a blind eye to it
    Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By GunslingerPanda

This sounds like my kind of game. Shame I live in Europe, I don't even need to look up if it's released here, it wont be.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#22  Edited By ZombiePie

I'll pass on this game, and not feel bad for passing on it. There I said it.

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zoner said:
    " @ESREVER: Oh I am very aware that most of my post is utter bull shit that, while mentioned in the game, has little do with the actual plot.

"
    You should just turn a blind eye to it "
    Maybe even two of them.
    yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#24  Edited By yoshimitz707
    @ZombiePie
    You should feel awful. This was one of the best games I played in 2010 and you're really missing out on something amazing if you just ignore this game.
    zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By zityz

You got your ass kicked by a blind person before haven't you? 

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CaptainObvious

BLIND PEOPLE

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#27  Edited By ZombiePie
    @yoshimitz707 said:
    " @ZombiePie
    You should feel awful. This was one of the best games I played in 2010 and you're really missing out on something amazing if you just ignore this game. "
    Dude don't be crazy. I'm not going to buy a DS just for this game. I always hate it when people say you are a bad person for not buying this game. What if I can't play it period? Am I still a bad person?
    Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
    A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By A_Cute_Squirtle
    @ZombiePie said:
    " @yoshimitz707 said:
    " @ZombiePie
    You should feel awful. This was one of the best games I played in 2010 and you're really missing out on something amazing if you just ignore this game. "
    Dude don't be crazy. I'm not going to buy a DS just for this game. I always hate it when people say you are a bad person for not buying this game. What if I can't play it period? Am I still a bad person? "
    To be fair he was probably assuming you had a DS. 
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#29  Edited By Catolf

I bought this game because of the review but your post was a bit spoilerific, i had no idea about the bombs in their stomachs or the death plot... I just knew get out before 9 hours were up..so...XP thanks for the spoiler i guess.

fazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By fazzle

This game truly is fucking amazing.  I just finished getting all the endings last night.  To me though, the biggest flaw in the game is how it feels compelled to overly explain every damn little thing.   I'm not talking story-wise (although sometimes that's a problem too), i'm talking about gameplay.  It ALWAYS needs to tell you how to solve the puzzle, and by the time you've seen that type of puzzle for the 2nd, 3rd, 5th time, you're just shouting at your DS "I already fucking know how to do this!  Shut up and let me get back to the damn game!"

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ZombiePie said:
    " @yoshimitz707 said:
    " @ZombiePie
    Dude don't be crazy. I'm not going to buy a DS just for this game. I always hate it when people say you are a bad person for not buying this game. What if I can't play it period? Am I still a bad person? "
    Yes. 

Piracy is an option. 

@Catolf: I want to tell you so many things about your post right now, but that would actually ruin the game.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Fallen189

I downloaded it last night, but you're still very rude.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#33  Edited By Catolf
    @fazzle said:
    " This game truly is fucking amazing.  I just finished getting all the endings last night.  To me though, the biggest flaw in the game is how it feels compelled to overly explain every damn little thing.   I'm not talking story-wise (although sometimes that's a problem too), i'm talking about gameplay.  It ALWAYS needs to tell you how to solve the puzzle, and by the time you've seen that type of puzzle for the 2nd, 3rd, 5th time, you're just shouting at your DS "I already fucking know how to do this!  Shut up and let me get back to the damn game!" "
    I had that issue with the demo, the puzzle kept telling me how to do the puzzel and after like 16 times of back and forth I'm like ARG!! other than that I really liked it.
    IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By IBurningStar

I was thinking about playing this game until I read this one post by some asshole where he tells you way too much about the game and ruins some of the mystery of it.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By PillClinton

I don't feel bad.  Not one bit. 

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@IBurningStar said:
    " I was thinking about playing this game until I read this one post by some asshole where he tells you way too much about the game and ruins some of the mystery of it. "
    I have ruined nothing. 

You have no god damn idea the shit this game gets up to. 

I couldn't even sleep for like three days because of this god damn game.
    fazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By fazzle

No you really did ruin alot of the game.  I came into it knowing almost nothing, and it was better because of that.  Now people who have read this thread are going to be looking for the stuff you've mentioned, instead of just having it happen and being surprised by it.

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fazzle said:

" No you really did ruin alot of the game.  I came into it knowing almost nothing, and it was better because of that.  Now people who have read this thread are going to be looking for the stuff you've mentioned, instead of just having it happen and being surprised by it. "

Well now you've done it, because of all the constant complaining I edited my post. 

You've just proved that enough people making a completely rational argument can accomplish anything. 

I hope you're proud of yourself.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By Animasta
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    " @IBurningStar said:
    " I was thinking about playing this game until I read this one post by some asshole where he tells you way too much about the game and ruins some of the mystery of it. "
    I have ruined nothing.  You have no god damn idea the shit this game gets up to.  I couldn't even sleep for like three days because of this god damn game. "
    see, now you're almost going too far; Nier has left me thinking about Nier for LONG LONG LONG past when I played it (mostly due to the constant updating of the Grimoire Noir, but whatever) but I don't tell people that :P I am interested but I dunno,
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Laketown said:
    " @IBurningStar said:
    I have ruined nothing.  You have no god damn idea the shit this game gets up to.  I couldn't even sleep for like three days because of this god damn game. "
    see, now you're almost going too far; Nier has left me thinking about Nier for LONG LONG LONG past when I played it (mostly due to the constant updating of the Grimoire Noir, but whatever) but I don't tell people that :P I am interested but I dunno, "
    This game almost convinced me for a brief second that I had gone completely insane. 
    karatetron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By karatetron

I'M SORRY. 

I would probably play this game if I still had the charger to my phat DS.

Noodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Noodles
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By McGhee

If this was on the iphone I would check it out. I hope developers start to realize that this is going to be the way to go in the future.

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@McGhee_the_Insomniac: I'm pretty sure Aksys would rather sell a few thousand copies of their obscure Japanese novel-style game for $35 than sell a few thousand copies of their obscure Japanese novel-style game for $2 and then have everyone else just pirate it because they jail broke their phones or ignore it because yo, no one is going to notice that shit.
    beard_of_zeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#46  Edited By beard_of_zeus
    @ESREVER said:

BAD END... GET? 
    This track gives me goosebumps everytime I hear it. Makes me remember the HORRIBLE endings available. (Horrible as in "OH MY GAWD WHY?!" Not horrible as in quality.)
    Man, you weren't kidding. Even though I finished up that game a couple weeks ago, that song totally made me freak out a little bit.
    McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By McGhee
    @LordXavierBritish:  
    Devices like the iphone may overtake pure gaming handhelds. I know the iphone has me loving handheld gaming more than I ever have. The biggest problem is that the app store is full of too much shit and there needs to be a way to find the best games.
    fazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By fazzle

The iPhone is good for gaming...assuming you barely need to control your game.   If you need any kind of precision, you're screwed.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By mylifeforAiur

I'm pretty interested in this game, gonna have to track it down^^

Noodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Noodles

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.