Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alan Wake

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released May 14, 2010

When famous novelist Alan Wake goes on vacation with his wife Alice, he has no idea that the idyllic town of Bright Falls will soon be the site of a terrible battle between light and dark that could threaten everything, even Wake's own sanity.

Alan Wake - First Impressions

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Edited By Jedted

So i just started playing the game and boy is it scary, deffinatly not a game i'd wanna play with the lights off.  I'm up to episode 4 and the story is pretty good so far, i'm looking forward to seeing how it unfolds.  I really like the light mechanic and how you have to "burn" the darkness off enemies before blowing em away.  I kinda wish they gave you a melee weapon for when you run out of ammo but i geuss that would make the game too easy.   

I've been collecting manuscript pages as i stumble across em but trying not to read cause i like to be surprised.  So far i think Alan Wake is a strong contender for GotY, at the very least i'd give it an honorable mention. 
    Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Jedted

So i just started playing the game and boy is it scary, deffinatly not a game i'd wanna play with the lights off.  I'm up to episode 4 and the story is pretty good so far, i'm looking forward to seeing how it unfolds.  I really like the light mechanic and how you have to "burn" the darkness off enemies before blowing em away.  I kinda wish they gave you a melee weapon for when you run out of ammo but i geuss that would make the game too easy.   

I've been collecting manuscript pages as i stumble across em but trying not to read cause i like to be surprised.  So far i think Alan Wake is a strong contender for GotY, at the very least i'd give it an honorable mention. 
    Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By awesomeusername
    @Jedted: Play Dead Space. I don't think Alan Wake tops that.
    Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Gizmo

I rented the game on Thursday and finished the first episode last night. I'm definitely enjoying it, although it's a shame that it's so linear. I'll definitely be playing more this weekend. 

Oh, and I played it in my dark cold room with headphones on, like a real man.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By jasta
    @Gizmo said:
    " I rented the game on Thursday and finished the first episode last night. I'm definitely enjoying it, although it's a shame that it's so linear. I'll definitely be playing more this weekend. 

Oh, and I played it in my dark cold room with headphones on, like a real man. "
    Keep those headphones on dude, I'm so glad I did. Alot of the sound design would have gone right by me had it come out of the TV speakers. That game gets fucking loud and its awesome.
    thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By thatfrood

I really enjoyed this game. To the guy who compared it to Dead Space, that comparison is pretty ridiculous. The game's couldn't have a more different atmosphere.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Gizmo
    @Jasta said:
    " @Gizmo said:
    " I rented the game on Thursday and finished the first episode last night. I'm definitely enjoying it, although it's a shame that it's so linear. I'll definitely be playing more this weekend. 

Keep those headphones on dude, I'm so glad I did. Alot of the sound design would have gone right by me had it come out of the TV speakers. That game gets fucking loud and its awesome. "
    The part at the beginning where the tornado murderer is coming for you across the bridge... whoa. 

I got to the end of the bridge and thought I could just look back and enjoy the scenery, then I realise he's coming right for me, the fucking sound was insane!
    owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By owl_of_minerva
    Alan Wake makes a great first impression, but as you play on the combat begins to show its lack of variety - combat encounters play out in much the same way, enemies are reused constantly, etc. Although the combat is okay, not refined but not terrible, it becomes a slog. The tension is nil when the game announces the appearance and obliteration of enemies for you. Also, the more you learn about the story the worse it gets. Not saying it's a bad game, but the game puts its best foot forward. 
    I really enjoyed aspects of AW and hope a similar but better game (or sequel) is released in future.
    jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jasta
    @Gizmo said:

" @Jasta said:

" @Gizmo said:

Keep those headphones on dude, I'm so glad I did. Alot of the sound design would have gone right by me had it come out of the TV speakers. That game gets fucking loud and its awesome. "
    The part at the beginning where the tornado murderer is coming for you across the bridge... whoa.  I got to the end of the bridge and thought I could just look back and enjoy the scenery, then I realise he's coming right for me, the fucking sound was insane! "
    Yeah those parts are crazy! It does a good job of going from real quiet to straight up pounding on your headphones without becoming to obvious or gimmicky.
    EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By EVO
    @Jedted said:
    " I've been collecting manuscript pages as but trying not to read cause i like to be surprised. "
    A lot of reviewers pointed out that they help flesh out the story, but I also thought they just spoiled the surprise.

On the other hand, the radio broadcasts are definitely worth listening to.
    Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jedted
    @awesomeusername:  I have played Dead Space it's a completly different experiance than this, IMO. 
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By LiquidPrince

Really? Scary? Me and my nine year old brother played it together (or I played and he watched) and he wasn't scared at all. He usually gets scared so easily too.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jedted
    @EVO said:
    " @Jedted said:
    " I've been collecting manuscript pages as but trying not to read cause i like to be surprised. "
    A lot of reviewers pointed out that they help flesh out the story, but I also thought they just spoiled the surprise.  On the other hand, the radio broadcasts are definitely worth listening to. "

Yeah the radio broadcasts are funny and i always stop to listen to them.  I watched one of the TV shows and found that pretty entertaining aswell. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.