Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alan Wake

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released May 14, 2010

When famous novelist Alan Wake goes on vacation with his wife Alice, he has no idea that the idyllic town of Bright Falls will soon be the site of a terrible battle between light and dark that could threaten everything, even Wake's own sanity.

Alan Wake: Post Mortem.

trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

Edited By trulyalive

Alan Wake review is up: Enjoy here
    I have more to say about Alan Wake than I could honestly express in a review, so here's some additional thoughts. 
    It's worth mentioning that I've only really been playing horror games for about two years...it started with Bioshock. Sure, it's not really a horror game, but it has pretty specific horror elements to it. To someone who had no idea what Bioshock was and had never played horror games, it left an immediate impression on me. Despite the fear, I enjoyed it. 
    From then, I moved onto the Condemned games. They had a certain frantic energy to them as well as a twisted perception of humanity in general. It was more a conceptual nightmare than an action-based one. It was nigh-on nihillistic. 
    Dead Space was next and I will happily fight anyone who exclaims that it is Resident Evil in space, I have always despised the Resident Evil games for pressing the panic button, by restricting the ammunition and resources and forcing you to scavenge desperately just to get by. To some it may sound like I'm bad at the game and looking for excuses, and although to a degree that's true it's also true that for a survival horror series of games, there's really nothing scary about it. It seems too bland for me in that respect. Dead Space however was a better game, providing enough ammo and scares to earn it's place as a great horror game. As well as that, it took full advantage of its space setting by putting you out there in space; that silent floaty horror resonated for a long time with me after playing. 
    I've tried Silent Hill. I've failed at Silent Hill. There's something about the tone of those games that is literally too much for me. I have seen some remarkably twisted things in my time and Silent Hill seems somehow worse than all of it. I'm trying to get through Shattered Memories right now, with little luck. 
     And now there's Alan Wake, which literally taps into my worst fear. 

I have Nyctophobia, fear of the dark. It's a subject explored extensively in the game and I felt almost comforted by the games acknowledgement that the dark is sheer terror for some of us. It didn't take long for me to realise that the game was using that fear against me, quite subtly at first and extremely later on. I'm not going to make any absurd claim that Alan Wake helped me get over my fears...lock me in a dark room, or cause a power cut at night and I'll still freak out. But playing through the game did feel helpful in a way. It allowed me to reflect on my phobia in a number of ways. 

B[o]ut.
    trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By trulyalive

Alan Wake review is up: Enjoy here
    I have more to say about Alan Wake than I could honestly express in a review, so here's some additional thoughts. 
    It's worth mentioning that I've only really been playing horror games for about two years...it started with Bioshock. Sure, it's not really a horror game, but it has pretty specific horror elements to it. To someone who had no idea what Bioshock was and had never played horror games, it left an immediate impression on me. Despite the fear, I enjoyed it. 
    From then, I moved onto the Condemned games. They had a certain frantic energy to them as well as a twisted perception of humanity in general. It was more a conceptual nightmare than an action-based one. It was nigh-on nihillistic. 
    Dead Space was next and I will happily fight anyone who exclaims that it is Resident Evil in space, I have always despised the Resident Evil games for pressing the panic button, by restricting the ammunition and resources and forcing you to scavenge desperately just to get by. To some it may sound like I'm bad at the game and looking for excuses, and although to a degree that's true it's also true that for a survival horror series of games, there's really nothing scary about it. It seems too bland for me in that respect. Dead Space however was a better game, providing enough ammo and scares to earn it's place as a great horror game. As well as that, it took full advantage of its space setting by putting you out there in space; that silent floaty horror resonated for a long time with me after playing. 
    I've tried Silent Hill. I've failed at Silent Hill. There's something about the tone of those games that is literally too much for me. I have seen some remarkably twisted things in my time and Silent Hill seems somehow worse than all of it. I'm trying to get through Shattered Memories right now, with little luck. 
     And now there's Alan Wake, which literally taps into my worst fear. 

I have Nyctophobia, fear of the dark. It's a subject explored extensively in the game and I felt almost comforted by the games acknowledgement that the dark is sheer terror for some of us. It didn't take long for me to realise that the game was using that fear against me, quite subtly at first and extremely later on. I'm not going to make any absurd claim that Alan Wake helped me get over my fears...lock me in a dark room, or cause a power cut at night and I'll still freak out. But playing through the game did feel helpful in a way. It allowed me to reflect on my phobia in a number of ways. 

B[o]ut.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Jeust

Nice... I'm glad it helped with your problem.

The only sure way to overcome our fears is to confront them. And it seems that the game offered you just that. :)

FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By FirePrince

So If you wake up at night and want to drink a glass of water,you can't?How does this phobia affect you? 
    Also,nice review!

Avatar image for equal_opportunity_destroyer497
    Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

I never really thought about that aspect of the game, aside from how well presented it is. I don't have a phobia per se, but darkness in games as well as real life can be unsettling for me. However, when you combine darkness with the feeling of being lost in the forest, that messes me up a bit. At this point I'm just trying to make some sense out of the ending but that's probably what the DLC is for.

trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By trulyalive
    @FirePrince: I get up and get a glass of water. I'll be remarkably uncomfortable and edgy but you push through it. That's not really a great example though, because it's my home, a place I'm mostly comfortable with and it's the middle of the night. If I was in my room playing games in the middle of the night and suddenly the power went out, it would be too unexpected and I'd probably find myself scrambling desperately for either my night vision goggles or my lighter, just for some comfort amidst the darkness. Which reminds me, I really need to put some new batteries in my NVG's... 

@Jeust: I tend to work a lot of nights and sometimes finish at approximately 2am. I live 5 miles away and have to walk home so for the most part I've confronted that fear. It's like being an alcoholic though. Regardless of how well I cope with it, I'll always be freaked out in the dark. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.