Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alan Wake

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released May 14, 2010

When famous novelist Alan Wake goes on vacation with his wife Alice, he has no idea that the idyllic town of Bright Falls will soon be the site of a terrible battle between light and dark that could threaten everything, even Wake's own sanity.

Early Alan Wake impressions.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

Ok, so Ive spent about a hour or so on the game, and im at the beginning of episode 2.  

Now, Graphicaly, the game didnt really grab me right away. When I first saw it I thought, "eh, this looks good, but ive honestly seen better". but over my hour play time, the graphical presentation of the game started to grab me. This game, IMO, has some of the best lighting ive seen on a console game. That makes since because the game is based on light, just like Bioshock had some of the best water effects because it was largly based on water and be under the sea. There are some iffy shadow effects on characters, and Aliasing is kinda noticeable in soem spots and the facial animation really arent that great. Alan Wake the character looks pretty good, his hairs kinda meh, but everyone else kinda looks wonky. I think they already said there going to try to fix the facial animation stuff in the DLC packs, so good on them.   But overall, its a rather pretty game, but weve seen prettier I think.

As far as gameplay goes, its quit solid. Switching between flashlight and gun really is smooth, because there is no swotching Your able to keep your light on them while shooting, so that makes combat more fluid. The shooting is kinda weird because its all auto lock. theyres no crosshairs as far as I can see. If your in the direction the enemys in, chances are youll hit them.  

The story seems like the real selling point for me on this game. Already theyre has been a neat little plot twist, and Im sure theyre will be several more, including a big one towards the end (this is a guess), Also, the TV and other little clickable stuff is really neat. I think you can listen to the radio stations and watch the TVs for quit some time. Overall, its very immersive I think. Voice acting isnt the greatest, but I dont think its quit Heavy Rain bad.  

Like I said, im only on Chapter 2, but these are the impressions I got from it so far. I actually rented the game, because im not sure the kind of replay value its going to have.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#2  Edited By Icemael

I loved the game's graphics. In the later chapters, I felt like I was seeing scenery worthy of a painting every other second.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By ravensword
    @Icemael:

Ill have to wait and see I guess, im only on chapter 2. So im looking forward to see if the game really blows me away graphically. I do think the scenery is gorgeous, I just had problems with the character models.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#4  Edited By Icemael

The character models are kind of rubbish, but you only really notice that in cutscenes. And man, when I was walking up a mountain path towards a ramshackle shed with a single, crooked, leafless tree standing at its side, the moon shining ominously in the background, I really couldn't care less about the character models. And the game has countless moments like that later on.

The daytime scenery is really good, too. The first time the game gave me a car during day, I left it and walked instead (and I do mean walked, not jogged.) Totally worth it. It took probably ten times as long as it would've with the car, but man, listening to the birds chirping, watching the scenery, seeping in the atmosphere... it was great. Really, really pleasant.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.