Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alan Wake

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released May 14, 2010

When famous novelist Alan Wake goes on vacation with his wife Alice, he has no idea that the idyllic town of Bright Falls will soon be the site of a terrible battle between light and dark that could threaten everything, even Wake's own sanity.

Ending (Spoilers)

• 71 results
    Aberen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Aberen

So yeah,  just finished the game. didn't get a chance to play it yesterday (european release date) so spent pretty much all day today playing it. 
     What are peoples thoughts about the ending? 

valleyshrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By valleyshrew

I didn't really get it, he stabs some old women with a key or something and it explodes with light. Then he rewrites the ending, and dives in after his wife and she swims up and he's disappeared. Then he says a line at his type writer as if it's a big reveal like citizen kane or something. "It's not a lake, it's an ocean" (I didn't get it, someone explain please), and someone shouts at him to wake up. I didn't really follow the story much, just seemed like nonsense generic horror tropes with light and darkness. Can you explain it better to me? I didnt listen to any of the manuscript pages, and tbh I couldn't explain the story to someone other than "it was all a nightmare".

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Three0neFive

Haven't played it yet, but does that mean the whole "it was all a dream" thing I heard months ago was true?

That is fucking hilarious. gg, Remedy.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @Three0neFive said:

" Haven't played it yet, but does that mean the whole "it was all a dream" thing I heard months ago was true? That is fucking hilarious. gg, Remedy. "

This is a ridiculously simplistic (and basically wrong) assertion. 

Spoilers, obv. Not even gonna use tags as endgame spoilers are in the topic title. 

Alan Wake's entire life is actually a story written by the previous writer who vanished, Thomas Zane. Zane tried to use the power to bring his wife back to life, but because what he wrote didn't fit the story, it became twisted and evil, what came back was not his wife. (this is a simple-ass summary, there is more to it than this)

He explains this to Alan, who was about to attempt the same thing. Instead, he writes the ending of the story so that it fits, but in doing so he has to sacrifice himself in order to save his wife. 

As for the lake/ocean thing I am not sure, maybe he moves the source of the dark power away from the lake and into the middle of the ocean so that nobody else will come afoul of it. 

EDIT: My opinion on the ending? I thought the whole plot was really great, and the ending tied it up nicely while providing enough room for a potential sequel. 

Also, Bowie - Ground Control To Major Tom was such an epic choice for the ending song.
    Pepeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Pepeman

Well, the way i figured it out was that Alan in order to save his wife had to sacrifice himself, so now, he's stuck in bottom of  the lake. 
    "It's not a lake, it's an ocean" -  Maybe the lake is connected to an ocean, and since our planet is pretty much covered with oceans, i'd say it pretty much  gives the "darkness"  access to take over the world. 

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Pie

I got that he had sacrificed himself for Alice but the "it's not a lake it's a ocean.............WAKE UP ALAN!" threw me a bit. 
    Also is Rose the new light lady? Wut? 

Also having Space oddity start up with the credits was pretty damn awesome

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#7  Edited By Icemael
    @The_A_Drain: But Alan said that "Zane had written the Clicker into existence in a story I had written" so as I've understood it, Alan wrote that twist into the story. Zane didn't dictate Alan's life; only the part on the page in the shoebox (the rest had been destroyed, along with Zane himself) which he only wrote because Alan wrote that he had. Basically, Alan needed a twist that allowed him to get the Clicker and save Alice, so he wrote that Zane had left a page that wrote the Clicker into existence.

And I think there's much more to the "it's not a lake, it's an ocean" thing than you suggest. We'll just have to wait for the DLC.
    rathantoras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By rathantoras
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @rathantoras:  

That's cool, in the commentary on the LE edition disc some of the developers do mention they want to make a sequel and that they plan to use the DLC to bridge the gap between the two games, which should be pretty cool. I'm really looking forward to it personally.
    Shaun239

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Shaun239

I think the 'Its not a lake its an ocean' line is saying that the evil is much greater than Alan realized, since it seems to originate from the lake in the game - but in reality the whole situation is much worse.

In other words, its an overly elaborate way of saying "To be continued..."

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GunslingerPanda

So, here's some of my current thoughts on the ending:

The Dark Presence/Barbara Jagger's motives: I don't think this was really cleared up in the game, but I have some thoughts. In the Alan Wake Files book that comes with the LCE, Barbara's age is given as 25 at her death, yet the Barbara Jagger in the game is alot older, so clearly the Dark Presence's false Barbara Jagger that it's using to influence Wake and the citizens of Bright Falls has been aging, and I think this is at the centre of why it kidnapped Alice; so that it can take on her younger form when Wake falls into the same trap Zane did and write her back into existence, but "wrong" ie. a form of the Dark Presence.

Mr. Stratch and the Light/Thomas Zane's motives: So clearly the Light/Zane doesn't have the same ability as the Dark Presence and can't take on Zane's form to influence Bright Falls directly, so this is why Light/Zane creates Mr. Scratch in the ending; to be a means of influencing Bright Falls in the same way that the Dark Presence used the form of Barbara Jagger. I'm gonna go ahead and call these fake Jagger/Wake's "avatars" since it makes sense. Perhaps the reason the Light couldn't use Zane was because he didn't sacrifice himself for Jagger, and that's why it's able to use Mr. Scratch. In the Alan Wake Files, it's mentioned that Clay Steward sees Wake post-game, which lends this idea some weight.

Perhaps this is just the latest battle in a war between the Light and the Dark Presence, and this time the Light won.

"It's not a lake, it's an ocean": I think this just means that the Dark Presence isn't limited to Bright Falls, and the sequel will take place somewhere else.

I'd kind of dig a sequel with Wake escaping his prison at the bottom of the lake and going after Mr. Scratch.

Cereal_Killa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Cereal_Killa

Most of my questions are about Agent Nightingale; Why was he there (it seemed like it wasn't official buisness) and what was he doing at the end of the game? Was he the dark presence's new host after Barbara? I was also thinking he could be the "new perspective for the DLC".

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GunslingerPanda
    @Cereal_Killa said:

" Most of my questions are about Agent Nightingale; Why was he there (it seemed like it wasn't official buisness) and what was he doing at the end of the game? Was he the dark presence's new host after Barbara? I was also thinking he could be the "new perspective for the DLC". "

If you have the LCE, Nightingale's backstory is kinda hinted at in The Alan Wake Files.

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By scroll

Also did anyone notice the FBI agent behind rose at the end? Deffiinitely leaves some room for the sequel. 
     I bet the DLC is from his perspective, and hope it explains why the FBI wants Wake so much. And there's noone else to really play as, maybe Barry during the farm sequence.

Overall I really enjoyed the ending, and I'm looking forward to "season two".

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @Scroll said:
    " Also did anyone notice the FBI agent behind rose at the end? Deffiinitely leaves some room for the sequel.   I bet the DLC is from his perspective, and hope it explains why the FBI wants Wake so much. And there's noone else to really play as, maybe Barry during the farm sequence.  Overall I really enjoyed the ending, and I'm looking forward to "season two". "
    He's there on a personal vendetta. In the LCE book, one of his notes explains that he is not there in any official capacity, but that he could call in some favors if he needs some backup.
    Cereal_Killa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Cereal_Killa
    @The_A_Drain:  So what do you think the likelihood of him being the DLC Lead is and would you be interested if it was him?
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @Cereal_Killa said:
    " @The_A_Drain:  So what do you think the likelihood of him being the DLC Lead is and would you be interested if it was him? "
    Based on the comments in the dev commentary (only done up to end of ep 4 with commentary tho) they hint that Hartman will not really be seen again until 2 (the writer says he would like to explore the character further, but hints that it will most likely be in AW2) so I doubt it's him.  

I'm not sure if I want to play as him, but I think it's a reasonably likely candidate. The DLC is called "The Signal" and that could mean a whole lot of things, but given that it is hinted at that he was drawn to Wake the same way as the LCE book writer, in dreams, it's possible that it might not even involve bright falls. It could potentially be backstory for him that explains how his partner died, and why (it seems) he feels this is Wake's fault. 

The second DLC is called "The Writer" so perhaps some more info on Zane, or maybe a return to playing as Wake either pre or post game story. I don't really seem them jamming another episode in-between any of the games ones.
    scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By scroll
    @The_A_Drain said:
    He's there on a personal vendetta. In the LCE book, one of his notes explains that he is not there in any official capacity, but that he could call in some favors if he needs some backup. "
    Huh, that sounds quite interesting, I'm sure that'll be explained as something Wake wrote as to fit in with the story, none the less I would deffinitely like to know more.
    @Cereal_Killa said:
    " @The_A_Drain:  So what do you think the likelihood of him being the DLC Lead is and would you be interested if it was him? "
    I most deffinitely would enjoy playing from his perspective. 

Also whats with the Second Wake before the final sequence?
    Dessan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Dessan

What confuses me is this; we wake up 1 week later  after the event. At the end, we go a week back, again ? How about those written week that Alan forgot, should we consider as it didn't even happen ? Or Alan's wife awakes after a week under that lake (which wouldn't make any sense even in this story). I guess, i'm missing something... (sorry about the language, hope it's intelligible)

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By Jeust
    @Three0neFive said:

" Haven't played it yet, but does that mean the whole "it was all a dream" thing I heard months ago was true? That is fucking hilarious. gg, Remedy. "

@The_A_Drain

said:

" @Three0neFive said:

This is a ridiculously simplistic (and basically wrong) assertion.  Spoilers, obv. Not even gonna use tags as endgame spoilers are in the topic title.  Alan Wake's entire life is actually a story written by the previous writer who vanished, Thomas Zane. Zane tried to use the power to bring his wife back to life, but because what he wrote didn't fit the story, it became twisted and evil, what came back was not his wife. (this is a simple-ass summary, there is more to it than this) He explains this to Alan, who was about to attempt the same thing. Instead, he writes the ending of the story so that it fits, but in doing so he has to sacrifice himself in order to save his wife.  As for the lake/ocean thing I am not sure, maybe he moves the source of the dark power away from the lake and into the middle of the ocean so that nobody else will come afoul of it.  EDIT: My opinion on the ending? I thought the whole plot was really great, and the ending tied it up nicely while providing enough room for a potential sequel.  Also, Bowie - Ground Control To Major Tom was such an epic choice for the ending song. "
    I agree with Drain in most of the things. 

I don't believe Alan's entire life was written, but just that episode, with the clicker, which made him enter the story, and be linked to it. Although Thomas Zane could have been created by Wake, though i don't believe that as Alan speaks of Zane as a weak and far light dwelling in darkness that he had to bring closer, so he probably really existed.  

Thomas Zane forgot about the balance that must permeate all things, just as Alan spoke in the ending, about guilt and penance, light and dark. There has to be a balance, a trade between oposite poles, so Alan sacrificed himself for Alice. On another hand Zane brought Barbara back to existence, but as it was poorly worded, the darkness came to the world inside her. 

@Shaun239 said:

" I think the 'Its not a lake its an ocean' line is saying that the evil is much greater than Alan realized, since it seems to originate from the lake in the game - but in reality the whole situation is much worse."

This is one idea of Lovecraft. The darkness is more than a lake in the sense that it has an identity that surpasses it's size. Pervades dimensions - reality and fantasy -, has emotions, feelings, desires... It's as the essence of evil limited yet overwhelming and unimaginable. 
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HandsomeDead

With him talking about the idea of balance and seeing Alice swim back to the surface then seeing Alan still at the typewriter, I think he's sacrificed himself to save Alice but also perhaps to tackle the evil in its own domain. To be honest, I didn't entirely grasp the Mr. Scratch thing so I'll keep that in mind for when I play through it again but if there's two Wakes, then it's likely one is still in the cabin and the other is in Bright Falls.  As for the Thomas Zane overlap, that's a real mindfuck. If he wrote the Clicker into Alan's life, how did he know he was going to be a writer and be able to even use the thing unless he wrote the rest of his life. The only conclusion I can come up with is that Zane is Wake's father and wrote Alan as a famous writer to follow in his footsteps as it mentions that he never knew his dad abd if he wrote himself out of history, then his mother wouldn't have been able to tell Alan about him. Most likely to be bullshit as I don't even know if the ages match but, I'm completely psyched for the DLC and looking forward to Alan Wake 2, coming in 2015.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jeust
    @HandsomeDead:  

Mister Scratch is  a light presence in the world to influenciate events in a good direction to Thomas Zane, just like Barbara was/is to the darkness. He isn't Alan Wake's per se, as you can see in ending of the book in the Collector's Edition, Alan Wake's apperance is just a cover to that light presence, not engaging in the real world, just around to influence events in the spirit of the idea of balance.  

Thomas Zane didn't need to father Alan so he could get him into his story. The episode about the clicker was enough to connect him to the darkness, it was Alan Wake's doorway to the Twilight Zone. This way Alan was connected to the darkness by Zane's writtings, and the clicker was his way of defeating the shadow presence. About what Thomas Zane wrote about Alan Wake's is never mentioned, so other possibilities are still possible. 

To get in the mood, and understand better the ideas about the game, you can see In the Mouth of Madness. This movie is based in a similar premise. 
    cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By cstrang

I think the ending remark about the lake being an ocean is meant to relate to something The Light says during the opening dream sequence.  I can't recall exactly what The Light says, but it's definitely about a lake and a green ocean.

xerxes8933a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By xerxes8933a

For he did not know, that beyond the lake he called home, lies a deeper, darker ocean green, where waves are both wilder and more serene.  To its ports I've been.  To its ports I've been.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e69ed38bb90a
    deactivated-5e69ed38bb90a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I got the collectors edition of the game and currently reading the book that comes with it. Hopefully i'll get some answers, it is really interesting. So far i've got answers of why Nighingale is so mad all the time and im berrly on page 18 out of 129.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jeust
    @Devileye said:

" I got the collectors edition of the game and currently reading the book that comes with it. Hopefully i'll get some answers, it is really interesting. So far i've got answers of why Nighingale is so mad all the time and im berrly on page 18 out of 129. "

There is a very cool connection between the book you're reading and the introductory dream sequence before you reach Bright Falls. have you noticed? :p
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e69ed38bb90a
    deactivated-5e69ed38bb90a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@Jeust:

Are you talking about the Dream sequence the author of this book is writing about?
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jeust

yep. did you notice who greeted you in front of the house?

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By Rhaknar

fucking loved the game. I agree with most of what was said, here's my take on it.

The whole thing started with Thomas and Barbara, 2 lovers that found Cauldron Lake in Bright Falls, lake which  hides a dark power that uses artists imagination to come to life. Thomas is affected by it, goes insane and kills his wife, ripping out her heart thinkign SHE had darkness in her (when he did), there's a line when Alan is in lalaland moving towards the cabin that says this. After killing his wife, Thomas went and did something bad in "writing her back into existence" (it's assumed that he was a writer like alan), but like Alan discovers, you need balance, light and darkness, life and death,so what came back wasn't barbara but the evil entity from the lake. Thomas realised this and wrote himself a safe clause which was the page and the clicker for Alan to destroy Barbara in the shoebox  that the crazy lamp lady had. Crazy lamp lady who was a reporter in love with Thomas and witnessed all of this, hence why she knows about it and about the darkness. At some point the entity also "touched" tor and Odin, the 2 rockers, artists themselves.

So since he knew there had to be balance, Alan re-wrote the ending so when he jumped in tos ave his wife, he drowns while she tragically manages to swim to shore. No Alan, no writer, no artist for barbara / the entity to draw power from and come into existence (until the next artist).

So why did Thomas leave the clicker for alan...how did he even know Alan. I believe Thomas was Alan's father, and was with Alan's mom when he was a baby (hence knowing about the "magical" clicker) and left her and Alan soon after (alan says he never met his father). Thomas runs off with some possible lover (barbara) and the rest I already explained.

As for the "its not a lake, its a ocean", it's probably a way of saying "fuck, this thing is a lot bigger than we thought". The "Alan wake up" whisper is possibly just a mind fuck, a common "was this all a dream?" twist to leave doubt in the player (or viewer if this was a movie). 

Oh I forgot Rose and the FBI dude. Rose does seem to be the "new" lamp lady, having witnessed (and being "touched" by the darkness) this whole event much in the same way the old lamp lady was. And the insane FBI dude seems to be the new vessel for the entity, but how is he an "artist"?

mikesira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mikesira
    @Rhaknar said:

Oh I forgot Rose and the FBI dude. Rose does seem to be the "new" lamp lady, having witnessed (and being "touched" by the darkness) this whole event much in the same way the old lamp lady was. And the insane FBI dude seems to be the new vessel for the entity, but how is he an "artist"? "

I don't think the FBI guy can be the next "vessel". When you are at the looney house there where 2 diferente artists (the painter and the video game designer) but they didn't get chosen to be the darkness "vessel", maybe there's something special about Tomas and Wake or it needs to be a writer.
    CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CenturionCajun

I think that all of those artists at the clinic had already been fed on. Thus they were used up and left slightly insane from their experiences. From all accounts Jagger wasn't an artist at all and the only way the darkness appeared as her was because Zane wrote her back into existence in an unbalanced way. Thus it was never her that returned but the "Witch" wearing her appearance.

Avatar image for killer_meatballs
    killer_meatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By killer_meatballs

Some really good theries, here.  I was confused about the ending, but after reading this thread, it makes a lot more sense.   
    Did anyone else think that Alan Wake at the end was "evil" or something?  He had an "off" look about him. 
    When I first read about this game, I heard there were some refereces to Twin Peaks.  Well, in Twin Peaks, in the end, there was a doppleganger of Agent Dale Cooper.  Could there be a doppleganger of Alan Wake?

Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Bionicicide
    @Rhaknar: 
    This helps a lot. Before I was in the same boat as valleyshrew.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jeust
    @mikesira said:

" @Rhaknar said:

Oh I forgot Rose and the FBI dude. Rose does seem to be the "new" lamp lady, having witnessed (and being "touched" by the darkness) this whole event much in the same way the old lamp lady was. And the insane FBI dude seems to be the new vessel for the entity, but how is he an "artist"? "

I don't think the FBI guy can be the next "vessel". When you are at the looney house there where 2 diferente artists (the painter and the video game designer) but they didn't get chosen to be the darkness "vessel", maybe there's something special about Tomas and Wake or it needs to be a writer. "
    I dont think so, as Thor and Odin said at some point that the darkness "stole their lightning". I think they were used as Alan was.  

And the darkness now has no vessel, or constructs a new version of Barbara, although the darkness is bound by Alan's writtings, what means that the next way it will materialize will be up to him, and Remedy. 

@killer_meatballs  said: 

" Did anyone else think that Alan Wake at the end was "evil" or something?  He had an "off" look about him. When I first read about this game, I heard there were some refereces to Twin Peaks.  Well, in Twin Peaks, in the end, there was a doppleganger of Agent Dale Cooper.  Could there be a doppleganger of Alan Wake? "

He had a "off" look because he was being touched, not possessed, by the darkness, as when he wrote the manuscript. At some point in the game, there is the explanation that the darkness, didn't consume Alan, or Zane, or other characters because it needed them, and if it possessed them, they'd lose all trace of their personalities, and with their talent gone there couldn't be any manuscript.   

At the end is created Mr. Scratch, a doppleganger of Alan Wake. 
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By RsistncE
    @Shaun239 said:
    " I think the 'Its not a lake its an ocean' line is saying that the evil is much greater than Alan realized, since it seems to originate from the lake in the game - but in reality the whole situation is much worse.  In other words, its an overly elaborate way of saying "To be continued..." "
    This.
    Avatar image for killer_meatballs
    killer_meatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By killer_meatballs
    @Jeust said:

@killer_meatballs  said: 

" Did anyone else think that Alan Wake at the end was "evil" or something?  He had an "off" look about him. When I first read about this game, I heard there were some refereces to Twin Peaks.  Well, in Twin Peaks, in the end, there was a doppleganger of Agent Dale Cooper.  Could there be a doppleganger of Alan Wake? "

He had a "off" look because he was being touched, not possessed, by the darkness, as when he wrote the manuscript. At some point in the game, there is the explanation that the darkness, didn't consume Alan, or Zane, or other characters because it needed them, and if it possessed them, they'd lose all trace of their personalities, and with their talent gone there couldn't be any manuscript.    At the end is created Mr. Scratch, a doppleganger of Alan Wake.  "
    I forgot that Mr.Scratch was the doppleganger to Alan Wake.  But  what did he mean when he said one of the Wake's will be the one your friends see above?  Or something along the lines of that.
    There weren't two Alices's.
    mikesira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mikesira
    @Jeust:  I see what your saing, the darkness needs to feed on the artist tallent to survive and needs a writer to set "it" free.
    But I'm still a little confused with the timeline, was Tomas Zane the first one to be "taken" and the brothers tried to help him or they were already "taken" and Tomas was just a means to a end, just like Wake.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jeust
    @killer_meatballs said:

" @Jeust said:

@killer_meatballs  said: 

He had a "off" look because he was being touched, not possessed, by the darkness, as when he wrote the manuscript. At some point in the game, there is the explanation that the darkness, didn't consume Alan, or Zane, or other characters because it needed them, and if it possessed them, they'd lose all trace of their personalities, and with their talent gone there couldn't be any manuscript.    At the end is created Mr. Scratch, a doppleganger of Alan Wake.  "
    I forgot that Mr.Scratch was the doppleganger to Alan Wake.  But  what did he mean when he said one of the Wake's will be the one your friends see above?  Or something along the lines of that. There weren't two Alices's. "
    That was probably referring to Mr. Scratch. He will be the one Alan Wake his friends will see above, although from the book on the CE, it doesn't look he will engage in any social life as Alan. Or could be referring to Alice, as Alice was set free.  

@mikesira said:

" @Jeust:  I see what your saing, the darkness needs to feed on the artist tallent to survive and needs a writer to set "it" free. But I'm still a little confused with the timeline, was Tomas Zane the first one to be "taken" and the brothers tried to help him or they were already "taken" and Tomas was just a means to a end, just like Wake. "

The story suggests that Thomas Zane was the first, when Odin and Thor said that Zane opened slightly the door of this world to the Darkness (in the 4th chapter),while Alan opened it  wide, and as Barbara is/was the face the dark presence used. Probably The Old Gods of Asgard were used after, although i don't understand why they couldn't set free the darkness and Alan could. 
    mikesira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mikesira
    @Jeust:   

Probably The Old Gods of Asgard were used after, although i don't understand why they couldn't set free the darkness and Alan could.  

Maybe it needs to be a writer or there is something special about Alan Wake and Tomas Zane.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jeust
    @mikesira said:
    " @Jeust:   

Probably The Old Gods of Asgard were used after, although i don't understand why they couldn't set free the darkness and Alan could.  

Maybe it needs to be a writer or there is something special about Alan Wake and Tomas Zane. "
    Yeah, maybe it needed a novel. 
    mikesira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By mikesira
    @Jeust: Whats your theory on the coffee thermos?
    On the Official Survival Guide they make an observation suggesting that there's more to the coffee thermos than being just another collectible

Hand-written notes from an unknown law enforcement offi cer, possibly from the FBI, were uncovered soon after the arrival of Agent Nightingale. This individual, working independently, notes the locations of all 100 Coffee thermoses. Progressively more fanciful hypotheses on why these thermoses were found are further detailed in the notes, which take a particularly alarming tone as time passes and situations become muddled and unresolved 

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Jeust
    @mikesira said:
    " @Jeust: Whats your theory on the coffee thermos?
    On the Official Survival Guide they make an observation suggesting that there's more to the coffee thermos than being just another collectible

Hand-written notes from an unknown law enforcement offi cer, possibly from the FBI, were uncovered soon after the arrival of Agent Nightingale. This individual, working independently, notes the locations of all 100 Coffee thermoses. Progressively more fanciful hypotheses on why these thermoses were found are further detailed in the notes, which take a particularly alarming tone as time passes and situations become muddled and unresolved 

"
    Good question. For me it represents the addiction of Alan Wake to coffee, since in the beginning he says he runs on coffee to the waitress. About that hypothesis, i don't know, but did it say where that document can be found? I don't remember that. 
    mikesira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By mikesira
    @Jeust: Not in the 1st Episode Guide maybe in latter ones ( I only have the 1st, pre-order bonus).
    Maybe we will find out more when the story focus on Agent Nightingale (DLC perhaps), I still have no clue on why is he going after Wake.

ps: There are some great character names in this game.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jeust
    @mikesira said:

" @Jeust: Not in the 1st Episode Guide maybe in latter ones ( I only have the 1st, pre-order bonus). Maybe we will find out more when the story focus on Agent Nightingale (DLC perhaps), I still have no clue on why is he going after Wake.  ps: There are some great character names in this game. "

Hummm it can possibly be a development of the manuscript pages on Nightmare level, as there are some unique ones in that difficulty. According to the book that came with the CE he was after Wake, because of his partner, that died prior to his arrival on Bright Falls.  

Yep there are awesome names in there. Thomas Zane was another cool one.  

@killer_meatballs: 

about the Wake his friends will see above, he was speaking probably about Mr. Scratch, as it happens in the scene where "he" is introduced. 

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#45  Edited By Rhaknar

2 things about my analysis of the ending, its obvious Alan is not dead, just trapped in the darkness like his wife was (which fits nicely with him hearing his wife whispering him to wake up), and also when i said the fbi dude was the new vessel, I meant the new form for the darkness, like barbara was (so he doesnt need to be an artist like i said)

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jeust
    @Rhaknar said:
    " 2 things about my analysis of the ending, its obvious Alan is not dead, just trapped in the darkness like his wife was (which fits nicely with him hearing his wife whispering him to wake up), and also when i said the fbi dude was the new vessel, I meant the new form for the darkness, like barbara was (so he doesnt need to be an artist like i said) "
    Don't think so... The new vessel will be probably due in the next writtings of Alan Wake. Maybe Barbara again (as it was just a shell), but i don't think the FBI agent qualifies, as he clearly doesn't have both the public image (the town seems him with suspicion) or any quality the darkness appreciates. 
    MasterKickface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By MasterKickface
    I have one interesting idea about Mr. Scratch.  At the end, Alan changed the beginning of the story so that his wife lived and he was sucked into the lake.  BUT, the rest of the story was already written so that Alan goes through all the events of the game, so that has to come true.  Mr. Scratch is created to go live out the events of the game (and be the "one your friends will see" as Zane says) so that the real Alan Wake can be trapped in the lake.    His name could be Mr. Scratch due to the scratch over his eye from the car crash.  The real Alan would no longer have a scratch since he was trapped in the lake saving Alice.  There are still some answers some questions with this theory though.  1)  What happens to Alice after she escapes from the lake?  2)  What happens to Mr. Scratch after the events of the manuscript are over?  Does he jump in the lake and disappear?  
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Jeust
    @MasterKickface: It's a good theory. :)

1) What happens to Alice will be tied to the next developments in the DLC and sequel, although she seems to be safe from the dark presence.  
    2) After the manuscript is over, and the dark presence defeated, he should disappear by the law of balance expressed at the end.
    Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49  Edited By Zereta
    @Jeust said:
    " @MasterKickface: It's a good theory. :) 1) What happens to Alice will be tied to the next developments in the DLC and sequel, although she seems to be safe from the dark presence.  2) After the manuscript is over, and the dark presence defeated, he should disappear by the law of balance expressed at the end. "
    1) Alice is very capable. She's gonna go hunting for Alan. In the sequel, or the continuation, its either Alice or Clay Steward (Think carefully) who will be in the spotlight. Clay Steward makes the most sense but Alice would add more interesting gameplay dynamics. Either way, I am very sure where Alan Wake goes from here will involve these 2 really strongly. 

2) Nope, Alan righted the wrong now. He saved Alice by sacrificing himself because he can write himself out. That's where Alice and Clay Steward, along with Sarah, Barry and potentially the Sarah's little Secret Society that was not developed, come in. Alan can bring himself out, he knows he can, that's why he trapped himself in there. He shares a connection with Clay Steward through the dreams and Alice, Sarah and Barry know the nature of the darkness. He can write and lead them to fix everything. 

In short, Alan Wake is now the new Tom Zane. The replacements for Alan are the four of those dudes I mentioned above. Nightingale is the new face of Darkness and the Darkness is growing. 

Its not a Lake... Its an Ocean? That line from the end. Its a way of saying things have expended.  

The dreams Clay and Alan shared showed Bright Falls being consumed and eventually, the world itself. Together, they have to fix this.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Jeust
    @Zereta said:
    " @Jeust said:
    " @MasterKickface: It's a good theory. :) 1) What happens to Alice will be tied to the next developments in the DLC and sequel, although she seems to be safe from the dark presence.  2) After the manuscript is over, and the dark presence defeated, he should disappear by the law of balance expressed at the end. "
    1) Alice is very capable. She's gonna go hunting for Alan. In the sequel, or the continuation, its either Alice or Clay Steward (Think carefully) who will be in the spotlight. Clay Steward makes the most sense but Alice would add more interesting gameplay dynamics. Either way, I am very sure where Alan Wake goes from here will involve these 2 really strongly.  2) Nope, Alan righted the wrong now. He saved Alice by sacrificing himself because he can write himself out. That's where Alice and Clay Steward, along with Sarah, Barry and potentially the Sarah's little Secret Society that was not developed, come in. Alan can bring himself out, he knows he can, that's why he trapped himself in there. He shares a connection with Clay Steward through the dreams and Alice, Sarah and Barry know the nature of the darkness. He can write and lead them to fix everything.  In short, Alan Wake is now the new Tom Zane. The replacements for Alan are the four of those dudes I mentioned above. Nightingale is the new face of Darkness and the Darkness is growing.  Its not a Lake... Its an Ocean? That line from the end. Its a way of saying things have expended.   The dreams Clay and Alan shared showed Bright Falls being consumed and eventually, the world itself. Together, they have to fix this. "
    That's another good theory, although it's not certain. Clay Steward's role in all this is uncertain, true that he appears at the beginning of the game, but we don't know where he ties with the guys. Let's wait and see. Alice being the spotlight is a great idea, still it is speculation for a game that will take at least 2-3 years to come out. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.