Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alan Wake

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released May 14, 2010

When famous novelist Alan Wake goes on vacation with his wife Alice, he has no idea that the idyllic town of Bright Falls will soon be the site of a terrible battle between light and dark that could threaten everything, even Wake's own sanity.

Game Club: Alan Wake Episode One

ztiworoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By ztiworoh

Not sure how this is going to go over, but I suggest we do a "book club" type discussion of the game episode by episode as we play through it. So, let's use this thread to talk about episode one. If this seems successful (and if someone else doesn't beat me to the punch), I'll make an episode 2 post soon. So, that said, let's begin? 

So yes, spoilers for episode one should be allowed, but nothing beyond that. 

What's everyone's reaction to the game's first episode? What did you think of the nightmare segment and your introduction to Bright Falls?  Any early theories or small things you notice? 

I noticed that in the cabin, the calendar lists the year as 1979 - the year they claim the cabin was destroyed when cauldron lake erupted.

ztiworoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ztiworoh

Hmm, perhaps my idea is a failure...

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By HandsomeDead

I thought the cabin's calendar was July 4th 1970? But yeah, I thought the opening of having the double nightmare beginning was incredibly clever. Sets a very uneasy tone.

ztiworoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ztiworoh

Perhaps it was 1970.... either way, it seemed to be a reference to the last time the cabin was "real". I also really liked the ferry segment and the diner - especially the foreboding  dark hallway. Also, on the ferry, take note of the guy at the back of the boat - a very little detail that turns out to come into play in episode 2.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Jeust

The thing is many people have already reach the ending, and they know more than to make suppositions about the first chapter.  

The calendar has to do with a vulcanic eruption. The cabin is supposedly a replica of the real before the eruption. If you look closely on the water Alan remarks that the water is black, and he dreads what beneath it.  

What detail?

ztiworoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ztiworoh
    @Jeust: Man, people have a lot more time to play games than I do then. I guess thats the shit part of being an adult. 
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7  Edited By Jeust
    @ztiworoh: Yep.  

What did you think about the voice that you heard guiding you through the first dream sequence? Also do you have the special edition? If you do you'll come to notice one cool detail about the first dream sequence.
    ztiworoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ztiworoh

No - no special edition. I did noticed that the dream sequence took place in "Night Springs" which was fun.  

As for the detail from the ferry:

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cornbredx

While I like the idea not many take their time with games (like I do, and you may, IDK) so most may alrdy know more then Episode one has to offer as episode 1 just kinda sets you up. 

I will say, while I have seemingly minor complaints about the game, overall its going well and I like it. Hard to get used to the conrols after DP but thats really just me =P 

Back on topic, though, I like the small touches here. Such as in the diner, turning the song on for the guy (Coconut) then the jukebox messes up and you gotta hit it to get it to go right. Theres been a few of these, and like Max Payne 2, it always interesting to hear what others are talking about. 
    Really liking the game, and I can see some stuff they probably learned from working with Rockstar. Shame this is only Episode one, though, theres other stuff from episode two I found really interesting.
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By sixghost

Sounds like a good idea, I'll chime in later tonight when I finish the first episode.

ztiworoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ztiworoh
    @CornBREDX: Then start an episode 2 thread... no reason these cant run concurrently
    cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By cornbredx
    @Jeust:
    Not going to spoil it, and at first I didnt notice, but Ya I know what your talking about. When Im done with the game I am going to read the book. Interested to see if theres a tie in there.
    cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By cornbredx
    @ztiworoh:
    I'm not the best at starting conversation. I prefer responding. Besides I dont like spoiling things for people so if someone mentions it I will talk about it but until then I can wait. BTW i'm only on Episode 3 so far. I only get to play after I get off work. I'm in a similar boat as you on that I think.  

Edit: now i feel weird, i have 2 posts in a row... doh
    ztiworoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ztiworoh
    @CornBREDX: Yep - Ok, I finished Ep 2 last night, so I'll start that thread. But yes, I work a full time, 40+ hour a week job, plus have a fiance who I enjoy spending time with, so yeah, gaming time is few and far between. Not sure I'll get to Ep 3 tonight, as I'm blocking out time for the Fringe finale, but I'll sure try.
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By sixghost
    @ztiworoh said:
    " Not sure how this is going to go over, but I suggest we do a "book club" type discussion of the game episode by episode as we play through it. So, let's use this thread to talk about episode one. If this seems successful (and if someone else doesn't beat me to the punch), I'll make an episode 2 post soon. So, that said, let's begin?   So yes, spoilers for episode one should be allowed, but nothing beyond that. What's everyone's reaction to the game's first episode? What did you think of the nightmare segment and your introduction to Bright Falls?  Any early theories or small things you notice?  I noticed that in the cabin, the calendar lists the year as 1979 - the year they claim the cabin was destroyed when cauldron lake erupted. "

I don't have much interesting to say about the plot, but so far the game is pretty awesome. There's just a couple things I'm concerned about though. Maybe I'm just too used to the Dead Space minimalist hud, but it seems like there's way too much stuff on the screen at certain points. Also, I really wish it was alot scarier. I'm just about the most easily terrified person in the world when it comes to movies and games, but I've been playing the game in complete darkness with the sound way up, and at the most I'd say it's unsettling. 

Also, all the stuff that takes you out of the scene is started to annoy me. As funny as the fake TV show was, it seems so out of place. Same with the manuscript pages and thermos'.

I've still got high hopes though, let's just hope it gets scarier.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.