Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alan Wake

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released May 14, 2010

When famous novelist Alan Wake goes on vacation with his wife Alice, he has no idea that the idyllic town of Bright Falls will soon be the site of a terrible battle between light and dark that could threaten everything, even Wake's own sanity.

Is it worth getting a 360 for Alan Wake?

OrigamiDriller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By OrigamiDriller

I consider myself a huge survival horror fan, and Alan Wake looks great, but I'm not entirely sure I want to purchase a 360 for it. To be fair I had a 360 in the past, but had to sell it due to financial obligations. I'm interested in a few other games as well, but Alan Wake is the main one that has piqued my interest. As a fan of the Silent Hill, Clock Tower, and Resident Evil series, is Alan Wake a potential system-seller for me?

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By c1337us

Just for Alan Wake. No way. But get it and Alan Wake because its awesome and then play a bunch of the other great Xbox 360 exclusives.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Alan Wake is a great game, but I can't recommend it as a game to buy a whole console for. It isn't exactly long, and there isn't a lot of replay value unless you are a hardcore completionist. You did say you're interested in other games though. What might those be?

Virago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Virago

Yessss what might those be? *twiddles mustache*

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#5  Edited By Icemael

Alan Wake isn't a survival horror game. It's an action horror game, like Resident Evil 4 and Dead Space. Very atmospheric and a lot of fun, but it's not scary in the least.

And getting a platform for one game is never worth it, unless it's a game you'll spend hundreds of hours on. Don't get a 360 for Alan Wake -- get one for Alan Wake, the Gears of War games, the Mass Effect games, Fable II, Shadow Complex, Tales of Vesperia and all the other exclusives.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By GunstarRed

Alan Wake is a ton of fun but i'm pretty certain nobody that has played the game could recommend it as a system seller.

OrigamiDriller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By OrigamiDriller
    @Vito_Raliffe said:
    " Alan Wake is a great game, but I can't recommend it as a game to buy a whole console for. It isn't exactly long, and there isn't a lot of replay value unless you are a hardcore completionist. You did say you're interested in other games though. What might those be? "
    I'm currently interested in Halo Wars, Fable 3 (so long as the Natal inclusion doesn't damage it), Tales of Vesperia (which I remember hearing may come to PS3), Splinter Cell: Conviction, Shadow Complex, and Deadly Premonition.   

@Icemael said:
    " Alan Wake isn't a survival horror game. It's an action horror game, like Resident Evil 4 and Dead Space. Very atmospheric and a lot of fun, but it's not scary in the least.

And getting a platform for one game is never worth it, unless it's a game you'll spend hundreds of hours on. Don't get a 360 for Alan Wake -- get one for Alan Wake, the Gears of War games, the Mass Effect games, Fable II, Shadow Complex, Tales of Vesperia and all the other exclusives. "

I'm totally alright with it being action horror -- I thought RE4 was excellent. You make a really good point about it never being worth it to buy a system for just one game, though.  

Thank you for the help, everyone!  I feel a tad guilty about being out of the 360 loop lately. 
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By xyzygy
    @OrigamiDriller: Don't get your hopes up on an English release of Vesperia for the PS3. That game is 2 years old now and the PS3 version was released in Japan a year ago, so it looks like they're done with Vesperia. It's an amazing game and you should play it. Get a 360 with Vesperia, Alan Wake, Lost Odyssey and other games of your choice :P
    Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan
    @OrigamiDriller:  If you have a reasonably powerful PC, I'd wait until E3's over with to see if Remedy's finally going to say yay or nay on the PC port.
    PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PillClinton

If you like upscale artifacts, low-res textures, and tons of screen tearing, then by all means, buy a 360 for Alan Wake.  But seriously, it's actually quite a fantastic game, just not a console-buyer, in my opinion.

Bhouse563

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Bhouse563

Xbox Live and all of its features are worth getting a 360 for, Alan Wake is just frosting on the cake!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.