Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alice: Madness Returns

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 14, 2011

Alice is back, and so is her fragile grasp on reality. She must journey through both Victorian London and the dark world of Wonderland to retain her sanity and find out the truth behind her family's deaths, in this long-awaited sequel to American McGee's Alice.

EA hits new low: no manual!

• 115 results
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#101  Edited By LiquidPrince

@Slaker117 said:

@LiquidPrince

@Slaker117 said:

Why does this matter?

In fact, I'm hoping that soon we won't even have discs.

Because you're a crazy person. Only crazy people don't want discs. I mean it's one thing to want to have the option to download digitally, but another to say that you wish for a discless world. Crazy. Discs will always be better for games,

Just to be clear, I don't actually want there to be no physical option. I just think digital distribution should become the norm. And what about games makes them inherently better on disc?

Because games a re collectible items. Cartridges for SNES games are still highly sought after. Digital distribution removes the aspect of collecting which can be a hobby. Another reason is, generations move so quickly now, so having all your games on say... a 360 suck when the next generation xbox comes out and you can't play your digital games anymore.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By valrog
    @LiquidPrince said:

Another reason is, generations move so quickly now, so having all your games on say... a 360 suck when the next generation xbox comes out and you can't play your digital games anymore.

No such problem on PC, though...
    Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By Patman99

@Yanngc33 said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

I miss big fat manuals.

Not me. I live in France and the manuals come in 5 different languages. They used to be huge and deformed the box

Although I like manuals, in Canada we got two separate manuals. One is in English and one is in French. From my experience, the second manual is either put in the box or out side of the box. If it is outside the box, they basically wrapped the game again in shrink wrap. Needless to say it is a pain in the ass especially when I throw out the wrong manual...

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By iamjohn

@LiquidPrince said:

@Slaker117 said:

@LiquidPrince

@Slaker117 said:

Why does this matter?

Because you're a crazy person. Only crazy people don't want discs. I mean it's one thing to want to have the option to download digitally, but another to say that you wish for a discless world. Crazy. Discs will always be better for games,

Just to be clear, I don't actually want there to be no physical option. I just think digital distribution should become the norm. And what about games makes them inherently better on disc?

Because games a re collectible items. Cartridges for SNES games are still highly sought after. Digital distribution removes the aspect of collecting which can be a hobby. Another reason is, generations move so quickly now, so having all your games on say... a 360 suck when the next generation xbox comes out and you can't play your digital games anymore.

Collecting is only important insofar as owning something, not having something tangible. There I said it. I have tons of shelves in my room devoted to games that I would give up in an instant if I could get a comparable, easily transferable and (hopefully) DRM-free digital version from something like a Steam. The fact that I do not have a hard copy of Bioshock or Portal 2 doesn't make me own those games any less.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

Other publishers stopped in like 2009. EA is actually relatively late.

And are you serious? I can't even remember the last time I looked at a manual.

HubrisRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#106  Edited By HubrisRanger

The only games I ever bust the manuals out for are fighting games, because they serve as quicker references than pausing, bringing up move sets if I need a quick reminder of how something in particular works. Everything else, they're just a relic and a serious waste of printing. I say good riddance.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#107  Edited By Brendan

I don't care.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#108  Edited By Milkman

"A new low" Really? Really? They said a while ago that they are doing away with manuals. Not a big deal at all.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Milkman

@LiquidPrince said:

@Slaker117 said:

Why does this matter?

Why? The only thing discs are good for is getting scratched and lost. What advantage do they have over a strictly digital game?

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#110  Edited By Yanngc33

@Patman99 said:

@Yanngc33 said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

I miss big fat manuals.

Not me. I live in France and the manuals come in 5 different languages. They used to be huge and deformed the box

Although I like manuals, in Canada we got two separate manuals. One is in English and one is in French. From my experience, the second manual is either put in the box or out side of the box. If it is outside the box, they basically wrapped the game again in shrink wrap. Needless to say it is a pain in the ass especially when I throw out the wrong manual...

That must make for some ugly ass packaging

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#111  Edited By Slaker117
    @LiquidPrince Collection only really matters to a subset of people. That doesn't make physical copies "better", only preferable for collectors. As for generations moving more quickly, that is simply not true. The 360 has been around since 2005, and looks to be staying for another two years. The Wii and PS3 are only a year younger, and while the Wii U is on the way, that fits into the normal consle cycle, while Sony appears to be staying the course along side MS. Also, you are restricted by backwards compatibility regardless of physicality.

I'm not blind however. There are issues of ownership to be discussed, but if and when that gets dealt with, I see no reason why we can't accept digital distribtion as the normal way to do things.

But hey, this thread is about manuals. I'd be happy to continue this in private if you care to, though let's get this tangent out of here.
    monkeynuts8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By monkeynuts8

If a game's made well, it shouldn't really have to have a manual

Edwardryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Edwardryu

well, you have digital manual on your menu. check it again. it says 'GAME MANUAL' 

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#114  Edited By fox01313

Don't miss the manual as long as it's in Alice as a pdf, I do miss the back of the manual/card that has the controls so you don't have to keep pausing it to look at the options for the controls (when you haven't played the game in a while & can't recall the controls).

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Sooty

For PC games a manual is pointless as it's far better to read a PDF version.

Console wise, well...it's not like they release anything anywhere near as complicated as Shogun 2 that would require a manual or anything. I appreciated the Demon's Souls manual for looking up the status ailments and stuff though, the Persona 4 manual was kinda useful too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.