Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alpha Protocol

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released May 27, 2010

Control rogue agent Michael Thorton as he tries to unearth an international conspiracy in the near future (where everybody seems to have a hidden agenda or two) in this third-person action RPG.

Low sales = no sequal says SEGA

This topic is locked from further discussion.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By alternate

After suffering numerous delays, Alpha Protocol was finally released earlier this year to mostly decent reviews. But apparently "mostly decent" just wasn't good enough, as Sega has cited low sales and a low Metacritic average for why they have no plans to make a sequel.

"Let's speak very commercially; the game hasn't sold what we've expected, therefore we won't be doing a sequel," said Sega West president Mike Hayes to CVG. "You know this whole thing with Metacritic where you have to be in the high 70s to mid-80s minimum [to have any success] -- well, with RPGs you have got to be in the late 80s. Whilst we had a good game, I don't think we had a game that had enough to get us to that upper echelon and I think that was the issue."

Although there's no plan for a sequel, Hayes still believes the espionage-RPG concept behind the game -- which was developed by Obsidian Entertainment -- was "brilliant." Still, the economics for a sequel apparently just don't add up: "Again, the amount you need to invest to get there is so large because RPGs are naturally big projects," Hayes said. "We've decided we won't do a sequel."

source : 1up via CVG

EDIT : Damn, can you not edit titles?  That typo (sequel, obviously) is going to be there forever :D
    Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Venatio

Bummer, Alpha Protocol could have had an awesome sequel since the first one was a bit crappy

Avatar image for mancombseepgood
    MancombSeepgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MancombSeepgood

I was really excited for Alpha Protocol, but when I read the reviews... Well, I decided to hold off. I still plan to pick it up. It's a shame they won't be going ahead with a sequel, they could really optimize the formula. Look at the massive difference between Assassin's Creed and it's sequel.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By alternate

I think it would have taken at least 2 years dev time to fix it though given that the problems were engine based.  If a game has solid mechanics but a crappy story they can do a 1 year sequel with new content but to fix all the shooting etc - I am not even sure Obsidian are capable.

Notice Metacritic score is cited once again for killing a game (grr *shakes fist*)

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By the8bitNacho

That's a shame.  Alpha Protocol had a lot of potential...has a lot of potential.  There's some really cool role-playing oriented stuff going on in there, and if they could have nailed down the gameplay for the sequel -- maybe rip something from Mass Effect 2 rather than its predecessor -- s sequel might have been promising.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By natetodamax

Why the industry lives off Metacritic I can't quite comprehend.

forceabuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By forceabuser

Low sales=no sequel says SEGA and everybody who ever wanted to make money in the games industry

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By Yummylee

That's a shame =/

forceabuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By forceabuser

that's business and Sonic isnt saving SEGA

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#10  Edited By Icemael

Aren't SEGA publishing The Conduit 2?

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By carlthenimrod

Can't say I enjoyed playing through Alpha Protocol and can't say I'll miss a sequel.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By hockeymask27

To bad, From the what I've seen of the game it had   potential just need some polish.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#13  Edited By Atlas
    @Icemael:  God help us all.

Alpha Protocol had a lot of potential, but surely Obsidian could just shop the IP to another publisher, or did SEGA buy it? Either way, I like Obsidian's work and it's a shame that this might be a premature end for a potentially awesome franchise.
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Gabriel

well looks like it's time to get Sonic back out of the closet and rape him for more money.

Nasos100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Nasos100
    @MancombSeepgood: i kinda agree with this but remember that the core gameplay in AC and AC2 was the same. Fighting which is based on counters, blocks, dodges and running away from enemies. AC2 added stuff to it ( see smoke bombs, 2H weapons but it didnt recreate the gameplay)
    However in the case of Alpha Protocol the problem was the core gameplay, at least based on Jeff's review. The shooting was bad so in the sequel they would have to rework the whole system which basically makes it 10 times harder.
    Nasos100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Nasos100
    @Gabriel said:
    " well looks like it's time to get Sonic back out of the closet and rape him for more money. "
    Also this is 100% true
    Avatar image for mancombseepgood
    MancombSeepgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MancombSeepgood
    @Nasos100:  That's a good point, I hadn't thought of that... I guess it would need a fair bit of reworking, but I guess it's not impossible eh? Maybe I'm being too optimistic, aha :)
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ryanwho

AP wasn't great, but I don't see them pulling Obsidian off of AP2 to do something more inspired. More like a sequel to that piece of shit Sonic Chronicles game.

ThePencil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By ThePencil

God-Damnit! I was totally hoping for a sequel too! Fuck you SEGA! Fuck MetaCritic too!
    This has soured me mood for the day now!

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By FireBurger

Oh well. I'll play Agent if I want (what will probably be) a good spy game.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By shadows_kill

i remember before it was released they where already talking about alpha protocol 2.... the game could be amazing just fix it up a bit... come on sega you know you want to do it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.