Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Mar 20, 2020

Transform a deserted island into a paradise in the Switch's version of Animal Crossing.

How are you gonna play the new Animal Crossing?

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Poll How are you gonna play the new Animal Crossing? (118 votes)

Handheld 27%
    TV Screen 19%
    Little from column A, little from column B 32%
    Not gonna: show results 21%

As much as I think it'll look great on a big TV, I'm not sure I can see myself playing Animal Crossing without a touchscreen these days. I suppose they could use the joycon sensor as a pointer, but it still seems like a hassle. Touchscreens change stacking fruit from a tedious, time-consuming chore into a slightly less tedious, time consuming chore.

How about you fine city folks?

• 
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

With my feet like a normal person. Why?

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Why would we need a pointer? They can definitely just improve inventory stuff and make it fine for both. I dont enjoy the tiny screen or the neck pain it invites, I want my town to shine on all 60 inches of my tv! I've hated touch controls since forever though so I'm a bad example.

CrocBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Excited to finally see Animal Crossing up on my tv again, but I often end up playing stuff in handheld so it'll definitely be a mix.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've hated touch controls since forever though so I'm a bad example.

Nonsense. You're an excellent example of someone who hates touch controls and would rather play on a tv. This poll is for you friend.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Never played an Animal Crossing before, so if I found Stardew too directionless and vague but liked the idea of it, ya'll think I'll like Animal Crossing more?

I voted both because that's usually how I play Switch games.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sloppydetective: No. I would say that Animal Crossing is more directionless and vague than Stardew. You do various tasks to make money to pay off your loan or buy furniture, Donate fossils to a museum, talk to a couple animals, and then wait 22 real life hours so you can do it again the next day. Sometimes Santa Clause comes to hang out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

@rejizzle: ok good to know. For some reason I got the impression that Animal Crossing was more structured and straight forward. I guess I'll wait for a Quick Look and possible review as I'm starting to think this will not be for me.

DrM2theJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I think my 5 year old will enjoy it so we'll definitely play it on the TV (on that very fine Animal Crossing Switch) buuuuut I will probably also keep a separate camp on my Switch Lite for me and so we can trade fruit!

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By glots

I used to play almost exclusively on tv, at least when it came to the bigger games, but Luigi's Mansion 3 I played maybe an hour or two with a docked Switch and then +15 hours in handheld mode, because it was just so much more convenient to pick up and continue playing. So I might continue that trend if I end up picking New Horizons.

Avatar image for deactivated-6510b42705eab
    deactivated-6510b42705eab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

I barely take my Switch out of the dock. I am getting the Animal Crossing edition Switch but I'll most likely still play it almost exclusively on my TV.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I've played my Switch pretty much exclusively handheld since Mario Odyssey. The only exception is when I want to show off a game to someone else, but that's not very often. I basically play my Switch when I'm out and PC or PS4 at home.

Alias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I've been surprised how little I've used my switch hooked up to the TV lately. When I first got it I used the TV view almost exclusively but now I'm more handheld. The pick up and play nature of Animal Crossing makes me think it'll be more of a handheld game for me with the occasional use on the TV if I think I'll be playing it for a while.

JoeDangerous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've rarely used my Switch in handheld mode. That thing's basically a home console for me. I can't wait to lazily play this on the big screen, from the couch, curl up with the cats, and wonder how many beetles I need to hock to Tom Nook's kids to get out of debt.

kapinkong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I play quite a bit in handheld but the TV will be the fight I am likely to lose, we bought a second switch for xmas just so my wife and I can both play AC:NH in our own towns. We both played side by side in AC:NL and we will continue to do so here!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.