Looks neat!

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By glots

Yeah, I'd play this as a regular non-VR shooter day one.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Looks real nice. That said I checked out the price for Valve VR setup at £689, yeah there's no way I will be playing this anytime soon.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I agree that it looks neat though I still haven't touched a single VR thing of the current generation. While being on rails sounds a bit underwhelming it does make a sort of sense considering you know that Alyx is suppose to survive to be in Half-Life 2. Also is one of the voice actors Rhys Darby?

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It's been awhile since i've played Half-Life 2 but none of the voices seem right to me, graphically it looks okay though. Gameplay wise it's hard to say, it kind of just looks like any other VR experience. (and by that I mean lacking a core gameplay loop in favour of a bunch of one off scenarios)

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By glots

@boozak said:It's been awhile since i've played Half-Life 2 but none of the voices seem right to me.

I think Alyx sounds fine, but I wouldn't be surprised if a person sounds slightly different when doing the same voice +10 years later. Eli's voice is different just because the original VA passed a couple of years ago. Didn't hear Kleiner there yet(?).

Edit: Scrap that, different VA for Alyx too. At least the vortigaunt sounded the same.

jacksmedulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@machofantastico: It's not an index exclusive, so any of the other VR setups will allow you to play it.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

The website, instead of playing an Alyx trailer, played an Artifact trailer for about the first ten minutes it was up, and I had a good laugh.

Bas_L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Looks awesome. Also a nice gesture from Valve to give it away to anyone who bought/will buy an Index or even just the controllers (like I did).

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly don't care about the Half-Life story, save for G Man. What I do care about, with each installment, is how either they create something groundbreaking in video games or raise the bar in the industry. In the Alyx trailer, while it looks really nice, I am extremely excited about the little bits of movement possibility and how the environment seems naturally reactive to your presence and actions. This to me looks a lot less than the test-chamber stuff we see everywhere, and more of the "real deal" stuff VR is supposed to be.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Looks real nice. That said I checked out the price for Valve VR setup at £689, yeah there's no way I will be playing this anytime soon.

Yeah, me neither. I just don't have the room to set up VR in my house!

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By conmulligan

Looks good. Not shell-out-over-a-grand-for-an-Index good, but likely dust-off-my-Rift good.

sawtooth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm holding out until they announce Orange Box 2

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:
@machofantastico said:

Yeah, me neither. I just don't have the room to set up VR in my house!

Although I guess they say you get a free copy of the game if you have Index, so that might help a little bit.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By ez123

I'd take a VR game without floaty hands. The headset closing you off from the world is immersive enough.

HL2 is one of my favorite games ever but this isn't a must play for me at this point.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This may or may not turn out to be good, but I'm fairly certain that it only exists because some slight variation of the following conversation occurred:

"We want to sell more Index headsets. Ideas?"

"Uh, people like Half-Life."

"Brilliant! Half-Life VR it is!"

"Wait, are we going to use our billions of dollars to actually make Half Life 3 like everyone's been asking us to?"

"NOPE NOPE NOPE. We're shooting for lower expectations. Do NOT under any circumstance let this be called or considered Half Life 3."

"So, a prequel, then?"

"Perfect."

"Should we make it playable as a non-VR game?"

"WE. WANT. TO. SELL. MORE. INDEX. HEADSETS."

"Y...yes sir."

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

I've very little experience with VR. Would using regular controllers to move around the space with joysticks like non-VR games automatically result in vomit city? Like I've heard ppl describe how RE7 worked in VR and it sounded so strange. And I've heard ppl talking about solving the movement issue in VR but I just haven't had much time with any VR so I don't know what to make of it.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@liquiddragon said:

I've very little experience with VR. Would using regular controllers to move around the space with joysticks like non-VR games automatically result in vomit city? Like I've heard ppl describe how RE7 worked in VR and it sounded so strange. And I've heard ppl talking about solving the movement issue in VR but I just haven't had much time with any VR so I don't know what to make of it.

Different people have different tolerances, and that tolerance can change over time, so I wouldn't say it automatically causes discomfort. For me, I found it jarring at first but have mostly gotten over that. Obviously it also depends on the game, but I'd trust Valve to make the right choices here.

Knurrunkulus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Knurrunkulus

Alright, I'm a massive HL fan and this might just be the incentive I needed to buy a Valve Index. Which is kind of crazy, if I'm honest, but I don't own any other VR headset for PC yet and I simply can't miss this game. However, I'm wearing glasses, and it's very difficult to find info online about how the Index handles that. Does anyone here have experience with that? My glasses are 14 cm (5,5 inches) wide. Should I be fine or could that be a problem?

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

colour me pleasantly intrigued- the visual design of city 17 still looks rad as hell.

PERHAPS MORE INTRIGUING- what the hell happened to 'in the valley of the gods?'

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems neat. VR is/can be incredible. It's kind of a must have for anyone playing a simulator that supports it.

I did actually buy an Index this summer. I got a Rift and Vive at launch and eventually sold the Vive. Haven't had a reason to use the Rift since getting the Index.

We'll see. My expectations aren't crazy high. I think what I really want is something more like a massive single player RPG or an MMO. Designed for VR. The kind of thing that I will lay back in my recliner with the headset on and then take it off 10 hours later and feel all fucked up. I want it to affect my life. I want that immersive, dangerous shit.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

It looks cool in the way that any Valve produced Half-Life thing in 2019 is bound to look cool - which is a bummer for me personally since I’m not buying into VR any time soon.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I pre-ordered it the second the trailer ended. I can't wait to experience more Half-Life. I hope this means one day we will get to see a HL3.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

This looks like a great VR experience and it's been long enough from Half-Life Episode 2 that I really don't give a shit about not playing this asap.

qrdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bas_l said:

Looks awesome. Also a nice gesture from Valve to give it away to anyone who bought/will buy an Index or even just the controllers (like I did).

Oh, it's free for the controllers alone as well? That's awesome, as I was considering buying those for my original vive. 50€ off is a definite incentive.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By wollywoo

This looks pretty damn cool. If I had a headset I would definitely get this, but it's not enough for me to buy one on its own. I feel like it would really, really be missing a key Half-Life element if it does not have free movement, and from the trailer I'm guessing it's not. I'll just have to take it on its own merits rather than comparing it to a hypothetically HL3. I am a little disappointed that you play as Alyx, not because I love Gordon Freeman, but because Alyx is a great, expressive character and I want to be able to see and interact with her rather than be her.

Edit: I also like that the y in the logo is the HL lambda upside down. Very clever.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wollywoo: On the official site, they claim all these types of movement will be available.

No Caption Provided

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I am so stoked to play this.

The crazy thing is, it's even got me amped enough to dust off my Vive and play some other VR games again too.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@big_denim: This sounds like a sure fire way to kill your excited about HL:A

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@big_denim: There were two recent releases that I heard them talking about on the Tested podcast. At least one of them sounded like they thought very highly of it? Asgard something? Made me curious to seek it out.

Also, check out Aircar. It's a free little tech demo some dude made where you fly a hover car around a little city scape.. it's all very Blade Runner and awesome.

I picked up Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades earlier this year when I got the Index. Very weird to play that. Was both neat, and also slightly uncomfortable because for the first time in my video game life.. I felt like it fetishized guns and shooting on a very real level. Hard to explain the feeling. I always believed (and basically still do) that violent video games don't directly lead to more violent people. But being in VR, and they model the weapons, functions, and motions so accurately with the hand controllers I had weird vibes. Someone could use it as a training tool. But also, I had picked a sniper rifle, went into the long range, literally went prone on my bedroom floor and used a pillow to comfortably prop my arms up, looking physically looking through a virtual scope, and I was hitting targets 500 meters out or whatever it was and figuring out the bullet drop. Awesome stuff.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if Sony will make an effort to get Valve to bring HL:A to PS VR? W/ next gen on the horizon and probably a PS VR2, it could happen down the road? 🤔🤔

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seikenfreak: Haven't played H3G yet but it's on my wishlist!

As for the Oculus exclusives, there's two recent releases that look great. Believe they're called Stormlands and Asgards Wrath.

I am tempted to trade my Vive in for an Oculus to play them.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: Eh. I'm not one as sour and down on VR like most are on this site (VRodeo does a bad job of selling the platform imo).

Games like Moss, RacketNX and Superhot VR are fantastic experiences that really show what the tech is capable of when done right.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@big_denim: Hey it's cool if you like it. I guess I read into "dust off my Vive" more than you intended.