How do you get over starting at the gym?

• 72 results
sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Hey gang,

So, to cut a story short, I'm looking to lose weight. I've started eating better, and I've lost a bit so far, but I'm looking to increase my weight loss by starting at a gym as well. There's one 10 minutes walk from my house, and I get money off there because I work for the local council.

I'm just a little nervous about starting to go. I went to the gym when I was at university ONCE, and hated it, because everyone there was an Adonis, and I was a blob, and I hated it. But I've realized that now I'm older, 99% of the people there don't give a SHIT about what you look like, because everyone's there for the same reason.

I struggle with anxiety, especially in new places I haven't been before, but I really want go start going so I can augment my weight loss, and also have something else to do that isn't just playing videogames all day every day when I finish work.

How do you know what "routine" to do when you get there? How do you know what "reps" (?) to do? How do you know how to use the machines? What do you wear?

I'm in over my head. Any advice would be very appreciated

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

One tip is to start doing simple bodyweight exercises at home just for a starter, if that is a possibility for you. There are plenty of exercises that do not require any equipment and it might be a good way for you to just get into a routine. I have the same issue of not really wanting to go to a gym so I’ve been doing strength training at home. I feel like once I’m comfortable enough I might start going to one but I’m in no rush and training at home seems to be working out well.

harinosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By harinosho

okay, so first off. well done on even taking this on. Starting to workout is one of the hardest things to do.

The way to get over the hump is to just show up, Make a routine of just showing up and looking around, see where things are and such. You don't have to jump into a workout, you can sit down get the feel of the place first or do something real simple like using a treadmill or one of cycle things (i dont know the name). The most important thing is to make it a routine. Maybe start out 2 times a week, then as you get more comfortable being at gym, increase it to 3 or more if you find the time.

For weight loss, I would say its more important to get your diet in line with the way you live, I use the 80/20% rule, 80% of my meals are focus on healthy meals the other 20% is maybe fast food, snack, a slice of cake. This helps me where I want to be in size slowly and not end up with loose skin because I did some drastic weight loss regimen, also when I do have a piece of cake (i bake so it most likely would happen) I wont go into some sort of sugar shock.

As a fellow gaming person, I want to snack on stuff when playing, this used to be whatever that's in my pantry, but now I try have water in a bottle with carrots maybe.

Working out routines are hard for me personally, because i focus on a boxing workout, this mainly consists of running, light weight lifts, bag work, skipping. I would suggest looking out some beginnr workout routines that arent too complicated to do. Its kind of amazing of some simple workout routines can really make you feel all the muscles.

Hope this helps. Good luck duder and have fun.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You’ll find your own routine in time, but if you want something easy to start with I would suggest a simple 3-day push/pull split with 10 reps for 3 sets per excercise. Start with easy weights and focus on your form. If you dont know what it means, it is splitting your body into pushing muscles (chest, biceps and shoulders), pulling muscles (biceps and back) and finally lower body for the third day. My advice is to start with machines and work your way to free weights as you gain some comfort in the gym. Machines usually have instructions on them, and if they dont I would ask someone working at the gym because the last thing you want to do is hurt yourself trying to guess.

Wear whatever makes you feel comfortable. I used to go in baggy sweat pants, baggy t-shirts and hoodies. These days I don’t feel as big of an urge to hide myself while training as I want to see my body getting that pump. It sounds ridiculous but it helps me stay motivated.

Also, a good way to keep your anxieties a bit under check is music or podcasts in headphones. It’s still going to be a litle hard as I had to overcome the same thing myself. But a simple pair of headphones gives you a bit of your own bubble to stay in. If you dont have to talk to someone when you get there Inwould suggest starting the music or otherwise before you enter thw gym to sort of bring your peace with you into the gym rather than trying to start a bubble in the gym, if that makes any sense.

Best of luck to you!

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I've just gotten back into it since a few years off. I've mainly just used gyms for losing weight.

1. Calorie Counting. Make sure to stay consistent with it. I use My Fitness Pal to track. I'm currently doing intermittent fasting which seems pretty sustainable for my lifestyle. I love bad food, and I still eat it, but I'm more wary of my portions. Drinking water (2 Litres a day) helps to fill me out a bit

2. Have something simple to start with - I used Couch to 5k and just work on that routine. It gave me something to do and to follow. If it's too hard on your knees you could use an elliptical machine program. Couch to 5k will always feel tough, but manageable tough

3. Try to do a trial period at the gym if you can. Just go. Build it into your routine. I go to a 24 hour gym. I go 5 days a week. I play Basketball one night a week. I have the other night off. I have good nights and bad nights at the gym. Sometimes I feel like it was a worthless session. Doesn't matter. What matters is developing the habit of going. I'm only there for 30min - 1hour so it doesn't carve into my life too much.

4. Develop a routine based on the gym equipment available. I found it really hard early on as I'd go to the gym, kind of meander about then go home. I did a bit of online research, spoke to some PE teachers I knew and developed a routine. If you can afford it, it may be worthwhile having one or two sessions with a Personal Trainer just to develop a program. I find having a PT a bit awkward, but it is their job to help you come up with a fitness plan. No one at the gym really cares what is going on with you, gyms are places for people to focus on themselves. If they do mention something, they are douches. I haven't encountered that myself.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I put on about 30 pounds due to injuries. I took it back off at home. We just built out a free weights and treadmill space in the basement.

- Squat stand

- Bench

- Barbells and weights

- Various dumbbells

- Treadmill

I’ve never had a gym membership, I don’t think I’d properly take advantage without something like 1-on-1 trainer time to get me to hit appointments.

At home, I can workout at 5am, 12am, noon, 5pm...whenever. I’m near my kids, I control the atmosphere, it’s private, etc.

I’ve hurt myself, and that’s been a (sometimes costly) teacher in itself. So that’s one negative. But not wanting to go to a gym, this had worked out pretty well.

xwillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Find a good non commercial gym.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@sombre said:

But I've realized that now I'm older, 99% of the people there don't give a SHIT about what you look like, because everyone's there for the same reason.

This right here. It's absolutely true. Everybody in the gym is there because they have goals that they haven't reached yet. The same way that you feel people may be judging you, even the "adonis," people feel like they're being judged. Nobody is there because they're complacent with where they're at. And as someone that fit and athletic and goes to the gym with friends every so often, it's also absolutely true that the fit people talk about the larger people with probably the most respect for effort and getting into the gym, no matter what they're doing or pushing. There may be a bad egg in the gym, but I can tell you that if you're a larger person and walk into the gym and start working, you're instantly getting a lot of respect from all the fit people in there.

To answer some of your other questions, I'd start off with just getting your body use to all sorts of resistance exercises and the movements. Get a lot of variety in all over your body and if you don't know how to use a machine, just ask someone nearby. If there's anything athletes in the gym like to do, it's tell other people how to do an exercise (lol). Same goes if you're not sure how to work a certain part of your body. Just ask someone who isn't currently busy "hey, what's a basic workout you think I could do for my upper back? I'm new to the whole gym thing." I know the anxiety and self-consciousness might get in the way of asking questions, but think of it as an investment to feeling confident about what you're doing, because now you know you're doing something correctly and not having to worry about whether your doing something wrong or silly, ya'know?

I honestly can't think of a single person I've gone to the gym or met at the gym who wouldn't offer to help another person out if asked. Everybody there is there for a common goal.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A few things:

1. In terms of routines, it helps to have a more defined goal. What, exactly, are you looking to get out the workout? For example, I'm taking up fencing again after a 10+ year break, so my current program focuses a lot on squats and leg exercises to improve lunge strength.

2. If the goal is just general fitness, then I'd recommend starting slow. It doesn't do any good to shred yourself, get really sore, and then not go back because you feel too beat up for the next few days. I was listening to a podcast a few weeks back where the guest was discussing it. His broader point was that you should really almost never exercise to the point or soreness because, particularly when you are just starting out, volume is more important than the raw amount of weight or intensity. I dug up the clip. if you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR0m0Vt3JF4

3. If you're worried about the "Adonis" factor, it might help to find a buddy willing to work out with you. It makes it a little less awkward if you aren't there by yourself. That, or you could try taking a class if the gym offers any. A personal trainer is another option if you can afford it.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By nicksmi56

As someone who just started going to the gym consistently this year, the best advice I can give is to just go. Get yourself into a routine and stick to it. Don't give up if you deviate a little bit, and don't expect results right away.

If you have a friend that does go that can show you a routine, go for it. You don't have to follow their routine to the letter, but just having them get you started can be helpful. My dad helped me with mine, but I've changed it to focus more on what I want. Don't be afraid to do what works for you.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By hermes

First of all, congratulations on making that decision, and good luck with that.

Regarding the tips:

• Just do it. Don't wait for a certain date, Monday, the beginning of the month or something like that... If you have decided to go, just go this afternoon (or tomorrow, if you prefer to do it in the morning).
  • Try to get other people involved. You mentioned you have some benefits because of your work... Try to get other people from work that you are friends with to go with you, or see if someone else goes and ask if you can join at his sessions. Not doing it alone and peer pressure are excellent ways to force you not to skip days.
  • Work your cardio. That is something you should ask your trainer, but since your goal is to lose weight, my advice is to focus on cardio workouts more than lifting, at least as warm ups. If you find it boring, take some podcast or audiobook with you.
  • Start light and work from there. One of the first things you have to learn, specially if it has been some time, is to know your limits. Then work towards pushing them gradually. It serves no one if you injure yourself the first week and then abandon the idea because of the pain.
  • Seek help. Depending of the gym, there are often veterans and trainers around that can be helpful for newcomers, point out to them that you are just starting and ask any questions you may have. It is better to give the impression of being insecure than risk an injury doing something wrong.
  • Remember, nobody is there to judge you. You pointed it out yourself, but most people in a gym are not there to check on other people and laugh at their mistakes. In my experience, gym regulars are among the most welcoming community there are, as most people will respect someone for even making the effort. I know one can get too self-conscious and shy, specially when you see people doing the same routine you pushed yourself with half the effort and four times the weight, but remember, they started the same way as you (and they know it).
CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd suggest looking into StrongLifts, Dan mentioned this recently on the beast cast and it's the only workout I've stuck with for any amount of time.

It's a super simple routine, exercise 3 times a week, do 3 exercises each time, 5 reps and 5 sets. Add more weight each time to get stronger.

It's only 5 exercises total as well so easy to learn and focus on form instead of learning like 15 different things.

The site is clear and straight to the point about getting fit, I'd recommend reading it even if you don't do the program: https://stronglifts.com/5x5/

The app helps a lot in keeping track of progress and letting you know what to do next.

Temg99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While this was for swimming and not a gym, the personal motivation should work the same:

• Research: While having a personal coach is amazing, it is not for everyone and can be expensive. I looked online and found a bunch of specific routines that worked for what I wanted (Cardio). Stuff that would last multiple weeks so I know that I was set for what to do and when. For example, I had an 8-week set to be followed by a 12-week set. After that I had specific sets to work on individual attributes (endurance, stroke, etc)
  • Have a goal: Not talking about "I want to lose X pounds". More like "by August I will do X thing". For me, it was to take place in a competition against coworkers. That more than anything helped get over the "i'll just do it tomorrow". I knew I had to be ready to win. For example, it could be "Run a 5K in November".
  • Workput when you are your best: I knew I am far more motivated in the morning than after work, so I set myself for three times a week to get up early and just do it.
  • Have mini- rewards: I set regular rewards throughout, both as personal satisfaction and also to make it better. I set them on a regular schedule and something I could look forward to. For example, If I made it a month solid, I could get myself a waterproof ipod to listen to audiobooks while I swam. It gave me small victories.
monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I've been there - I have been on both sides of that. I been the really fit guy and the out of shape guy trying. In fact I need to get back to the gym because this year I want to make/construct a First Order TK for my 501st Garrison. I want to shed teh lbs to make it easier and to feel good about my armor.

Here is what I know. Most people at the gym will see a person trying, and give them mad respect without saying a thing. That really has been my experience; if you do your workout and, clean the equipment as you should; then people will be nice and will silently root for you to reach your goals. What 99% of gym goers care about is - if you are a good gym user! If you are someone who follows the rules and cleans up the aerobic equipment efficiently people will be on your side of ANY argument.

What I always recommend is that if the gym offers a 5 minutes tour on your first day - TAKE IT! That person will tell you all the posted rules and all the "unwritten rules"; they will show you were the spray battles & towels are for cleaning; and they will show you if there are sign-ups for equipment that has a waitlist.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@monkeyking1969: I totally agree on the trying = respect front.

When I see someone running down the road, hell, even just BARELY jogging, I have nothing but respect for it...especially if it’s clearly something new to them. It’s hard as hell getting started and it takes determination.

I’m sure there are complete assholes at gyms, but most of them that I’ve been through (I don’t go myself, I prefer a basement or garage) are pretty focused on inclusivity and tolerance. They do seem to discourage toxic behavior, these days.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Honestly, the best way to get into an exercise routine is to do stuff at home. People seem to equate paying for a gym as the best way to get fit, but I disagree. Your home is where you're most comfortable, and you can do a ton of stuff from you living room. There are thousands of Youtube exercise videos out there. Just search something basic, intermediate, or even beginner.

Going to the gym is one extra step that can stop you from working out early on. If you're at home, and you have two minutes of motivation, jump up and get started immediately. You'd be surprised how many exercises you could do with zero equipment. And if you need equipment, you can grab some basic weights for relatively cheap at any used sports store (even Wal-Mart or Amazon have some good basic stuff). You can probably get away with that for awhile before having to use the heavier weights a gym will get you.

You don't have to be an Adonis, and the gym isn't for everyone. I exercise all the time but don't really like being at a gym (if I go there, it's mainly for the pool). I'm not an Adonis but I'm healthy and fit, which is what your goal seems to be. Just put on a Giant Bomb video in the background, and by the time it's done you'll be all set.

Also, DDP Yoga, go for it.

Charongreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I've never really struggled with my weight, mostly from natural metabolism but also a physically active job, but as I get older and design more and build less I'm starting to show weight, and I've found that I'm bored to tears with exercise for exercise' sake. Picking up heavy things and putting them down, running for running sake, I can't stick with it because its such a massive time investment that I'm actively bored with. I tried Parkour workouts for a while, but I never went out and did parkour so I never felt the need to stick with them.

The thing I've found is that I'm much more motivated when I can work toward a tangible goal that I could see progress on. Being able to run a mile didn't actually mean anything to me in my life other than a checkbox, but being strong enough to move furniture by myself is really useful, and has easy applications in my work life. It also meant I had to work on multiple things, rather than focusing on one thing, so I don't get as bored with it as quickly. Working with someone is always easier and more fun, but I never had anyone to do that with and was far too anxious to try and make friends at a gym, so I can't really speak to that.

All of my lasting injuries have come from repeated abuses of my body, rather than one big injury. I don't even have scars from stage combat (the worst injury I ever had was popping my sternum, which hurt like hell and I popped it again every time I stretched for years after, but even that's gone) but my right wrist is basically fucked from a summer of doing heavy carpentry under a shitty TD who didn't like me and so didn't bother stopping me from doing things like lifting multiple sheets of 1/2" plywood by myself instead of asking for help, and I was the shop manager so no one I worked with felt like they could tell me to stop and wait for help. The takeaway is that you can push yourself, but giving yourself time to heal and not pushing until it hurts are the important stopping points, and listening to people about workout regimens specifically tailored to you (maybe there's someone who works at the gym who can give advice on a routine to start with, or doctor can give some advice about things to start with). Muscles breaking down and reforming is painful, but more like an ache unless you've pushed yourself too far, and shouldn't last more than a few days. You should be careful of things that hurt, and learn what signals of pain and healing are specific to you and your body.

Good luck duder, and post again with updates? Maybe blog a little for some positive reinforcement from the community?

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It really helps to have a friend to go with to start out I found.

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Every Adonis and Athena started somewhere between a blob and a stick figure.
  • Every missed session is ok. You don't have to make up for it, and you're not allowed to be depressed over it.
  • Every reputable program that is consistently followed yields results.
  • Every person that thinks they can program themselves, cannot.
  • Consistency and momentary effort are the only factors that yield results. Of which consistency is the most important.
  • Results take months and years, not days and weeks.
  • It's ok to feel awkward. We all did.

Good luck, bud.

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

I would say start at home, there is a lot of things you can do with no equipment. Core exercises are the most important for overall strength and losing weight. Find some ab workout videos you like on youtube and do those. Most ab workouts don't require any weights or equipment at all. Do abs, push-ups, and practice your squat form.

Also, STRETCH. Stretching is very important to make yourself more flexible and to avoid injury. You will feel better by doing some basic yoga exercises.

If you are looking for a good fitness youtube channel AthleanX (im sure you have seen some of his videos if you ever search anything fitness related on youtube) is very good, honest, and informative. He's kinda annoying at times, but he knows what he is talking about and he doesn't try to sell you any BS program to make you "ripped in 30 days".

Once you feel more comfortable go to the gym if you want to start weight lifting or doing cardio with machines. Just watch videos to learn form, or ask for help. Remember, form is more important than busting out a bunch of bad reps. Don't worry about doing 3 sets of 12 of the heaviest weight you can. If your form is good, you will get stronger.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6f0f4262550
deactivated-5d6f0f4262550

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First understand that 90% of everything people tell you is marketing or bro science. Do not get a trainer until you have a little experience at the gym, they will tell you whatever they can to convince you to keep them. Most people who are decent trainers are very expensive and are not working at a gym since the pay is so bad. Don't always take peoples advice, I see people doing things wrong more than I see anything right at gyms.

Do not buy protein powder or ANY supplements they are not covered by consumer protections like medicine or food. And anything you need you get from real food, there is no science to back up supplements.

You are not going to get great result compared to other people. I can go into a gym and get in perfect shape in a month, but I know exactly what to do and I have a strong base. You going to spend sometime figuring things out before your progress starts to pick up. The key is to try your hardest, just doing the motions won't get you anything. Don't get discouraged. The key to good workouts is full motions. Don't cheat by making things easier to do. That is one of the biggest contributors to people giving up, they cheat on workout and get upset that they are not getting in shape. A normal timeline to get in shape, from being out of shape is a year. And I guarantee it will go by faster than you think.

Stick to body exercise at first, dips, pullup, body squats. At least for 2 or 3 months. You will potentially destroy your shoulders and hips if you start lifting weights before you are good at pushups, pull ups and squats, etc.

The book Convict Condition has good steps for body conditioning and its not selling anything extra. It'll explain how to ease into things. "Hey Elliot" early youtube videos are good for understanding form, later videos he starts preaching about self help voodoo.

Last thing, your diet. If you start eating much less now, and simpler food, you will get in shape VERY fast. The main contributor to people not making progress in the gym, is what they eat in the kitchen. The easiest thing to do if you don't know where to start is eat simple food, don't have a big dinner and stop snacking. Try to think of how people in 1920 ate, simple food and less of it. Stick with eggs, fish, potato, sweet potato, few veggies etc. If you drink pop, you have to stop. Beer is okay though, oddly enough.

Don't get into that trap of having CHEAT meals, just adjust what you eat to what is acceptable to you. Try to consider your diet change permanent and not something you will eventually stop.

Last, persistence. Keep at it. If you fall through some days doesn't mean you lost.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Umm don't worry about other people dood. Everyone starts somewhere and a lot of these "Adonis" guys can't do s proper squat to save their life. Figure out your goals, have a plan, learn the movements and you'll quickly not care about anyone but yourself at the gym and that's why you are there, right?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is an "Adonis"? Google only comes up with an old Greek god. Is it a gym term?

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boonsong: Adonis was a beautiful young man that was loved by Aphrodite. it's just an expression for a very good looking man.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By maxszy

@sombre: As others have said, great job at even thinking about and planning to start! Takes a lot to get there and realize you want to make a change. You're also on the right track of not worry about what others think. After all, you are all there for the same reason in the end.

As for starting, my best suggestion is join, and just start by spending 20-30 minutes walking on the treadmill or elliptical machine. The key though is making it a habit, so committing to go 3-4 days a week to start. If that goes well, you can go more, but starting with 3 days a week and keeping that up for a month will make it a habit. It will be painful, you will be tired but you'll soon find you'll feel refreshed after working out too. People always talk about the endorphins after working out, feeling good, they're real and they really make it worth it. Start slow, but do it often be methodical.

Amingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man fuck the gym. Go buy some cheap dumb bells (the ones where you can switch out the plates) on Amazon and if you wanna run, do it on the street. A lot more easier to get motivated when working out at home than the gym, which you have to drive to and share equipment with other people. I just get up in the morning and go at it.

laxbro19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

just starting out at a gym can be very daunting. I remember when I started playing high school football and having to compare myself to people who were practically grown-ass men. But there are some tips that helped me that can probably help you as well.

You can go down one or two paths that are usually very successful for people. One path is joining a class that the gym organizes or leads. That could be anything from Yoga to kick boxing. Having company is a good way to keep you coming back and also reinforces that you aren't alone in your endeavor.

The next option is going solo, which can be very successful, or not, depending on the type of person you are. When you go solo, the name of the game is going into the gym with a plan, sticking to it, and getting out. The key is to really focus on what you're doing in the moment and nothing else. Ideally, you walk into the gym with a workout already pre-made, you follow the plan, and leave when you're done. If you take it seriously enough, the focus on you're form should block out the gaze of others from your mind. If you're very self-conscious about starting out, go on off hours. Usually in the early morning or middle of the day.

I will also say that going to a gym is by no means the only way to live a health lifestyle. I know plenty of people who never lift weights and workout on their own doing mostly cardio that look every bit as healthy and fit as someone who lifts 5 days a week. I myself was on the triathlon team in college and weight lifting bros would ask me what lifts I was doing and they would be stunned when I told them that I was as muscular as I am because I swam and ate extra protein to maintain the muscles.

Diet is really the limiting factor though in getting on the right track. Having a high protein diet thats low in fat is what will cause that changes you want in your appearance. The whole reason you partner the exercise with the food is so that the food can rebuild and strengthen your body when you put it under stress from the exercise.

I hope you reach your goals. And remember, the only opinion about your body that matters is your own. Good luck!

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the primary goal is weight loss, I would suggest (as a fellow traveller on that path!) first of all you get your diet in control - calorie counting is super important here. It's tedious at first but it quite quickly becomes second nature to think through what you eat a bit more. In the past I've tried pretty extreme/restrictive diets, but increasingly I think it's better to just try and eat in a way that is sensible and sustainable long term. Don't beat yourself up too much if you slip for a day - and don't fall into a spiral of eating shit just because you feel you've failed. You've just got to be aware of what your choices mean and what you need to do to counteract them.

As far as gym goes, I'm less sure, but I would say focus on cardio that you find difficult. I think it's probably more important to push yourself, whatever you do. If there's a park run near you I'd really recommend that, especially if you have a friend who can go with you and support you. It's only 5k every saturday but it really helps to give you a bit of a feeling of achievement, and a sense of your fitness improvement.

Above all, good luck and I hope it all goes well!

Avatar image for genocidalkitten
GenocidalKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By GenocidalKitten

@sombre: Your routine depends on your goal and also the type of exercise you want to do. Generally you will see a aerobic and a weightlifting section in the gym. It sounds like your goal is weight loss. Weightlifting is actually a great way to burn and keep off fat, it burns more calories, is surprisingly easier on the joints than most cardio and the muscle you build will keep fat off.

If you want to get started with weightlifting quickly then I think your best bet is to find a routine online. There's a bunch and it shouldn't take you long to find some for beginners that sound appealing to you. There is TON of differing opinions on what type of routines work best and it can get pretty complicated. If you're having trouble finding a routine I would just try to find one that has a lot good essential exercises that you will likely use under any routine (for chest bench press, for back dumbbell rows and pull ups, for legs squats,)

Here's also just some general terms so things make more sense.

• Rep - One full motion of the exercise. If you are doing a bench press a rep would be pushing the bar to top position, and going down again.
  • Set - A collection of consecutive reps. You might do 4 sets of 10 reps for bench press. You would take about a minute break between each set which is why it's not just 40 reps.

Pretty much all you need to know when you go is what exercises you are doing, in what order, for how many reps, in how many sets. I would also look up how to do whatever exercises are in your routine and start very light on weight so you can get the form down.

It sounds like you are in a great situation to try weightlifting out and see if you like it. I don't think starting at home is particularly great advice, if you don't know what exercises work for you or if you'll be able to get in the habit of it then the upfront cost of some equipment is prohibitively expensive. The gym is a great place to try things out and find your routine with all the equipment the gym has to offer.

I think that's pretty much it. The gym in my experience is a pretty solitary place, people leave you alone. The only spot of awkwardness you might run into is if someone is using the machine or bench you need, you can ask them if you can "work in" with them or skip to your next exercise and come back to the other once they are done.

Good luck!

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At the gym in my apartment there usually are not that many fit people - mostly, it seems like I see women in their mid-forties walking very slowly on the treadmill. It's not really an issue - people are not going to pay any attention to you. The only exception for me is if there is a very attractive girl on the treadmill right next to me - that will make me more self-conscious for sure!

Personally, I much prefer jogging outside if the weather is at all decent. This can also help with the self-consciousness, since you are running past everyone rather than staying next to them. They won't be able to tell how long or how far you've been running, so they won't be judging your fitness.

Also, I would say that working out is 90% mental. You have to figure out what works to make you feel rewarded for working out rather than concerned about your performance. Learn to give yourself serious props just for showing up and trying, even if you did not meet your goal for that session.

Of course, if I actually followed my own advice I would not be in the lousy shape I currently am... but hopefully that will change soon-ish!

Viktorija_Levi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lot's of good advices! Choose wisely, what is god for you what is not. A diet routine and a good old walk/run helps at first. then gym. In any case, good for you and good luck!!! Im very proud of you! The hardest part is to start to go to gym, then you'll be hooked up. I got a personal trainer and lost tremendously with her advices and diet.

dunc2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As many have stated building your workout into your weekly routine is a great way of staying motivated. Once its normality , you wont even think twice about going.

Dont worry about other people. Everyone starts somewhere, the "Adonis" people you refer to were not always like that and they most likely are way too involved in their workout to actually acknowledge anybody else, and if they do its very unlikely to be in a negative way. They very likely will remember where they started and possibly admire you for the hard work you are putting in.

If you are completely new to this I would suggest even just one session with a Personal Trainer at the gym. See if your local gym offer taster sessions or something of the like, this will help get you comfortable with the equipment. If you find it useful sign up with them for a month or two if its financially an option until you get completely comfortable in what you need to do to achieve your own goals. As someone who as always tried to keep in good shape I'm still considering some more PT sessions just to change things up and make sure i'm set for what I want to achieve, PT's know what they are talking about.

When you get a general level of fitness even look into other things outside the gym itself. Things like BJJ or any kind of combat sport are absolutely fantastic for all round fitness and you will be learning a new thing at the same time!.

Good luck with everything dude!

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As others have either outright said or alluded to, the goal here is to feel healthy and happy in your own skin. While it can be demoralizing to look around and be like "Jesus, what even is that person's life" I think these thoughts are often internal roadblocks that we set up for ourselves to prevent ourselves from doing something that isn't always going to be fun. Which is, honestly, okay, but realizing that that is what is in your way and breaking through it is important. I'm someone that will NEVER be classically fit because even running 5-10 miles a few times a week doesn't take away my paunch and overall doughy look. And I'm okay with that. I still am a victim of thinking "How on EARTH does he or she look LIKE THAT!?" but on the whole I'm happy with what I do and how it makes me feel. The first step is the key point though, and once you start going I think you'll lose that trepidation pretty quickly.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Deathstriker
  • Athlean Xon Youtube is my favorite fitness guy online, so I'd recommend starting there to see how to do certain exercises, what not to do, and you'll learn about your body.
  • Listening to music or podcasts while working out will probably help stop making you think about people watching you as you workout and it helps make the time go by faster.
  • Unless someone is new to working out and very big, I'd say stay away from most cardio machines, since actual cardio (jump rope, hitting the heavy bag, etc) or lifting weights (bench press, squat, deadlift) is better exercise, but I get someone new using something like a treadmill as "training wheels".
  • I disagree with @oldmankenobi that someone new shouldn't lift weights for months, but you should lift what that you're comfortable with and make sure you have proper form. Looking at videos and/or working out with a buddy can help you with form. Leave your ego at the door and don't try to lift more than you can handle in order to look cool.
  • For someone intermediate I'd say do certain body parts on certain days. An easy one is day 1 back & biceps, day 2 triceps, chests, and shoulders, day 3 is leg day then you just loop back around and day 7 is rest.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6f0f4262550
deactivated-5d6f0f4262550

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathstriker: In response to that. I make that blanket statement about weights because of the varying abilities of people. I have found often when I have taught both men and women how to do a squat, they don't have the basic flexibility to perform one safely. Putting knees, hips and lower back in great risk of injury. Also risking a hernia, which I have seen happen. Everyone is different but do not start weight lifting until you have comfortable with your natural movements.

The other idea behind me saying delay weights, is if you are having trouble completing body squats and pushups. You do not need to be adding weight to possible unnatural movements that many workouts demand.

The area I would say is safer to start weights at is rowing movements as they are simple and the shoulder joint moves naturally and you can drop the weight easily.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Realize that the people will likely not give you a second glance. Most people feel that all eyes are on them when they just start, but know that people are into what they're doing and now what others are doing. Figure out what you want to accomplish. Lose weight? Tone certain areas? Get muscle? Once you answer that question you can start to figure out the specific things you need to do. I recommend you check online, watch tutorial videos, or get a personal trainer to figure out your exercise. Once you know that you can start off slow by going a few times a week for 20-30 minutes. You'll naturally ramp that up over time. The key to success is to make going to the gym part of your routine. As long as you stay consistent you'll get results.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Forewarning, this is all from second-hand advice as I've never been in good enough health to train at a gym:

Does this gym have a personal trainer option? My mum found having a few classes with them to be extremely helpful in getting over her anxiety of training in public. Personal trainer sessions get you acclimatised to training with someone watching except with the reassurance that the person watching wants you to do well and has the expertise to give solid advice. Plus, they teach you what to focus on while training (i.e. how to use the equipment and they can help to structure your goals and expectations) which stops you getting distracted by your anxiety over the strangers around you.

Personal training sessions can be expensive but from those I've talked to, they seem to definitely be worth it in allowing you to actually ustilise your time at the gym in future. In my mum's case, they got her through the first few weeks where her motivation could have waned and caused her to give up.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Cheers for all the lovely advice gang.

I've been off work for the last 6 weeks, and I've kinda fallen off the wagon a bit. I lost a stone and a half simply by walking to and from work every day, but I've put 6lbs back on because I've been largely sedentery this last few weeks. Once I get back into work next week, and walking every day again, I'll look into the gym seriously.

I've wanted to go to the gym for years, but I've just been too embarassed about going, and social anxiety doesn't help at all. I'd be going at somewhere between 2-4 though, so I expect most people are still going to be at work at that time.

I hear that my gym has a pretty good induction service though, where they can help you learn how to use all the equipment, and help you develop a routine that suits your needs (in my case, losing weight)

Will keep you all up to date as to how it goes on :D

Alias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@sombre: Yeah consistency and routine is a big part. Just showing up goes a long way because it's a case of "well I'm here so I might as well do something" even if it's not personal best.

Also don't underestimate what your capable of doing. I don't mean push yourself until you hurt yourself but more of "if a coach was here he'd push me to do 10 instead of 6 reps" and maybe you only hit 7 or 8 but that's more than you thought you could.

I know what's it's like not feeling comfortable in an environment like that but from my own experience the more you do it the more you get used to it. If you pick a consistent time you'll start to see the same faces again and again and it'll all just blend into the surroundings as you go about your business. Like you said everyone is there for their own personal reasons. I make a point of reseting the weights back to the lowest settings on the machines after I'm done with them under the mentality that it shouldn't matter to you what I can lift when you come over to use the machine.

Aside: You probably already know this but diet as well is most of the battle. I almost view it as you change your diet to lose weight and start exercising to increase your fitness / health.

Nethlem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sombre said:

How do you know what "routine" to do when you get there? How do you know what "reps" (?) to do? How do you know how to use the machines? What do you wear?

I'm in over my head. Any advice would be very appreciated

Isn't one of the main reasons for going to the gym so you can have educated and knowledgeable people show and tell you this stuff? It's also really important to have somebody correct your form, doing exercises with the wrong form can do more damage than good.

If you are looking for resources how to structure and build your own routine, then I suggest you head over to the bodyweightfitness sub-reddit. They have a really handy guide on routines.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By NTM

True, people don't really care about you being a blob. If anything, most people would probably think 'hmm, yeah a bit chubby, but at least he's working on it!' (That is, if they even think about it.) Then they'll go on to worry about their own looks. I wouldn't go to the gym myself; I think it's kind of a waste of money since there are many other ways to work out, and for free. Plus... I don't know how bacteria-laden those places are. Some may argue it's good for you, but eh, why go somewhere I can get sick if I can avoid it? I'd rather just go for a jog and use the weight equipment I have at home. If you're really into going to the gym, then just do it and don't think about what others may think, just think about what you want to achieve in losing fat and gaining muscle. I think what you eat is probably most important, the weightlifting is just for muscle gain rather than weight loss.

Edit - To clarify, weightlifting is probably ideal for weight loss and muscle gain, but do what makes you comfortable (don't stress out too much over how you're going to achieve your weight goal). You can also do some cardio workouts as well. When you take breaks from gaming (as in, you're playing a game, but want to get up and move around for a minute), do some jumping jacks. Oh, and like said, eat well. I don't work out all that much myself aside from what I do at work, which deals a lot with lifting things and just sweating a bunch, but I feel like if I can manage to eat better, I'd be much better off. It's hard to put down unhealthy food that I enjoy eating. I think my biggest issue is drinking mocha drinks, which is high is sugar. It's all about burning more calories than you take it.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@ntm said:

I think what you eat is probably most important, the weightlifting is just for muscle gain rather than weight loss.

Not only does weight training itself burn calories, but muscle mass burns more calories than fat. Building muscle increases your metabolism and helps you lose even more fat.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike: Yep. Yeah, what I wrote made it seem like weightlifting isn't a good way to lose weight. My point was that if your main goal is to lose weight, weightlifting isn't the only way to go about it.

GIynny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dude, if you're out of shape and a total beginner. Any exercise is better than nothing. Your body will drastically improve.

I would try jumping into a gym where they have group classes you can go to. And only do the group sessions. Don't bother working out on your own. You will lose motivation.

When you train and surround yourself with others. You will naturally want to compete. You will want to go to the gym as you will feel like you won't want to let them down. You can also talk to them and get a social circle going.

jppt1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been working out at the gym since 2015. Loving it despite at times some health reasons. But I concentrate on cardio not weights. As working for my heart and my lungs and organs. I try to workout at least five times a week, two hours a day. Resting usually on the weekends.