Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Midway Games

Company »

A now-defunct publisher and developer that was based in Chicago. Best known later in its life for the Mortal Kombat series, Midway's legacy traces back to early pinball and arcade releases, when the company was known as Williams.

A world without Midway is a sad world.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Edited By Dalai

In the early 1990s, Midway was king!  I am a fan of the Midway of old... the Mortal Kombat franchise is one of my favorites, NBA Jam was made of 100% pure awesome, and even the Cruis'n games were mindless fun back in the day.  I had pumped plenty of quarters into Jam, Blitz, and even their pinball machines way back when.  Unfortunately, the 90s ended and Midway just couldn't keep the momentum going... and now, the end is looking imminent.  Midway's last ditch effort was certainly a gamble... and Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe is going to be a hit, but I don't know if it can wipe out the massive debt they've piled on over the years.  Maybe if the arcade industry turns around and blows up, Midway has a chance.  I would be all for an arcade version of MK vs. DC right about now.

In a few months, we'll know for sure if Midway is sticking around for another year.  I'm pulling for them... but Midway has to recapture that 90s Midway magic.

So, your thoughts on Midway... tragic downfall of a giant or just a sign of the times?

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Dalai

In the early 1990s, Midway was king!  I am a fan of the Midway of old... the Mortal Kombat franchise is one of my favorites, NBA Jam was made of 100% pure awesome, and even the Cruis'n games were mindless fun back in the day.  I had pumped plenty of quarters into Jam, Blitz, and even their pinball machines way back when.  Unfortunately, the 90s ended and Midway just couldn't keep the momentum going... and now, the end is looking imminent.  Midway's last ditch effort was certainly a gamble... and Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe is going to be a hit, but I don't know if it can wipe out the massive debt they've piled on over the years.  Maybe if the arcade industry turns around and blows up, Midway has a chance.  I would be all for an arcade version of MK vs. DC right about now.

In a few months, we'll know for sure if Midway is sticking around for another year.  I'm pulling for them... but Midway has to recapture that 90s Midway magic.

So, your thoughts on Midway... tragic downfall of a giant or just a sign of the times?

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Vinchenzo

On the topic of Midway, I find this commercial (below) endlessly amusing. Just check out all the Midway product there is, lulz everywhere.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

Can't say I remember ever caring about Midway.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By StaticFalconar

while everything you said was fun, it was never THAT fun like how you make it out to be.

I'd like to see them stick around, but even at their peak they never really wowed me much.

Maybe its just best to see them die off. But a Mortal Kombat without Midway does seem odd.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I hope some how Midway can miraculously pull through. Being a huge MK fan, I've always had a lot of love for Midway. They were really awesome back in the day. They always were more focused on arcade games, so yeah, I guess adapting has been tough for them. Over the last few years, they've had severalfailedattemptsatbringing backbigfranchises. :(

chronicsmoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#6  Edited By chronicsmoke

if midway does go it will be a very very sad day,MK franchise is one of my favriote all time franchises

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I can tell. :P

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Dalai
    StaticFalconar said:
    "while everything you said was fun, it was never THAT fun like how you make it out to be.

I'd like to see them stick around, but even at their peak they never really wowed me much.

Maybe its just best to see them die off. But a Mortal Kombat without Midway does seem odd."
    I guess your definition of fun is different than mine.  No biggie... I think Midway couldn't do no wrong between 1992 and 1996.  But, yeah, the thought of Mortal Kombat minus Midway just seems dirty on many levels.

TheGreatGuero said:
    "I hope some how Midway can miraculously pull through. Being a huge MK fan, I've always had a lot of love for Midway. They were really awesome back in the day. They always were more focused on arcade games, so yeah, I guess adapting has been tough for them. Over the last few years, they've had severalfailedattemptsatbringing backbigfranchises. :("
    The past few years have been extremely rough and they have produced a lot of garbage recently.  Even some of the more recent MK games were pretty average.  Midway is a former shell of itself, but I don't want to see them fade away... maybe MK vs DC is a start in the right direction.
    coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By coakroach

Its a shame a company with such a proud legacy has finally hit rock bottom
    But that's what happens when a company is run into the ground by poor management

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PureRok

I can't think of any good game Midway has ever done... ever.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By Snail

In the 1990's SEGA was king as well. End of story, nothing else need be said.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By TheGreatGuero

If a company were to merge with Midway, that could probably work out pretty good. I'm sure they would benefit from the help of another game company. However, it seems much more likely that they'll go the way of Atari and have to sell all their franchises to various companies, which could get ugly. I'll keep my fingers crossed for them. Even in a worst case scenario, I imagine the MK series will still fare pretty well. Hopefully Ed Boon and co would still be able to work on the games, even if it's under another company.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Pibo47

WHo cares about midway?

Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Gameboi

I love each of those games as well -- especially MK games -- and I'm pulling for Midway to survive.

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

What the hell is with all the Midway hate?

Fucking MK, Spy Hunter, Psi-Ops, Rampage, Smash TV, and plenty of other good arcade games. Shit.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I like Midway, but from what I hear they have way to much debt to do anything, even if MKvDC sells like crazy. 

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By oraknabo

Psi Ops was one of the best games for the PS2 and I was really expecting a new surge of quality from them after that.

They should merge with Capcom or something.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.