Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Midway Games

Company »

A now-defunct publisher and developer that was based in Chicago. Best known later in its life for the Mortal Kombat series, Midway's legacy traces back to early pinball and arcade releases, when the company was known as Williams.

Midway/Warner Deal Approved

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff

If Warner's first move is to do a Sinistar sequel, then this will all have been worth it.
    If Warner's first move is to do a Sinistar sequel, then this will all have been worth it.
    The Chicago Tribune is reporting that the objections standing in the way of the $33 million sale of Midway assets to Warner Bros. have been resolved, and a judge has approved the sale.

The objections came from companies like Tigon Studios, the Vin Diesel-founded company that's partially responsible for Wheelman. Another objection came from Threshold Entertainment, the company that produced the Mortal Kombat movies, TV shows, and other MK-related properties. The Threshold objection was especially crazy, as it asserted that the company had created the bulk of the Mortal Kombat series' fiction, going so far as to mention that having things like pallette-swapped ninjas meant that the game story was flat or non-existent or something. Do not get me started on the the deep history of strife between Sub-Zero and Scorpion. Back when the first few games were coming out, MK was noted for having significantly more lore than most of its fighting counterparts.

Meanwhile, there are a pair of studios that weren't included in the sale to Warner. Midway's San Diego and Newcastle studios will be open for 60 days, according to a report from Joystiq. Provided that no one comes in to buy them from Midway, they'll close at the end of that period.

Newcastle, you might remember, recently started showing off its latest production, Necessary Force. Midway San Diego was most recently the home of TNA Impact! 2. It also happens to be the home of some of the guys that worked on Midway's other sports games, like NBA Jam and NFL Blitz, which may explain why I had a dream last night in which basketball was played while longtime Midway announcer, Tim Kitzrow, provided commentary. My mind's weird sometimes.
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff

The Chicago Tribune is reporting that the objections standing in the way of the $33 million sale of Midway assets to Warner Bros. have been resolved, and a judge has approved the sale.

The objections came from companies like Tigon Studios, the Vin Diesel-founded company that's partially responsible for Wheelman. Another objection came from Threshold Entertainment, the company that produced the Mortal Kombat movies, TV shows, and other MK-related properties. The Threshold objection was especially crazy, as it asserted that the company had created the bulk of the Mortal Kombat series' fiction, going so far as to mention that having things like pallette-swapped ninjas meant that the game story was flat or non-existent or something. Do not get me started on the the deep history of strife between Sub-Zero and Scorpion. Back when the first few games were coming out, MK was noted for having significantly more lore than most of its fighting counterparts.

Meanwhile, there are a pair of studios that weren't included in the sale to Warner. Midway's San Diego and Newcastle studios will be open for 60 days, according to a report from Joystiq. Provided that no one comes in to buy them from Midway, they'll close at the end of that period.

Newcastle, you might remember, recently started showing off its latest production, Necessary Force. Midway San Diego was most recently the home of TNA Impact! 2. It also happens to be the home of some of the guys that worked on Midway's other sports games, like NBA Jam and NFL Blitz, which may explain why I had a dream last night in which basketball was played while longtime Midway announcer, Tim Kitzrow, provided commentary. My mind's weird sometimes.
    Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Venatio

Finally

McQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By McQuinn

Tigon is full of delusional assholes.  Just like the Vinster.

SpiderX20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By SpiderX20

Sometimes Jeff? Sometimes?!?!

Actually I wouldn't know, I felt a need to question though.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#5  Edited By ahoodedfigure

"Beware, I live"

MK's always had lore, but beyond opening and closing messages, where else was the lore built up?  There was that Sub Zero adventure game, wasn't there?  Maybe that had more detail?  Or maybe the manuals did? 

Jeff, you have permission to geek-out and set the record straight.  Do it for MK!

Man, I hope someone snatches up Newcastle.  At least they're trying hard to promote their project.

MjHealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By MjHealy

Well I don't have the most amount of love for Midway. Not growing up in the Arcade days certainly helps but all power to them.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By buzz_killington

Poor guys.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By JJOR64

As long as WB doesn't mess with them, I so go Midway!

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#9  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

Well hopefully MIdway can get their act together.

But Jeff you so crazy! How the hell would you do a modernized sequel to Sinistar, a twitch based shoot'em up, without making it suck? Some games should just be left alone and Sinistar is one of those.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Black_Rose
    @ahoodedfigure said:
    " "Beware, I live"MK's always had lore, but beyond opening and closing messages, where else was the lore built up?  There was that Sub Zero adventure game, wasn't there?  Maybe that had more detail?  Or maybe the manuals did?  t. "
    The story mode of the last few games was pretty good, specially in Deception.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By MrKlorox
    @McQuinn said:
    " Tigon is full of delusional assholes.  Just like the Vinster. "
    When you're knee deep in tang and blang, you can get away with being a delusional asshole. The rest of us just have to stick with being regular assholes.
    xionpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By xionpunk

As long as the MK9 remains on course, I'm good.

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By FlipperDesert

Dear EA,

Now is your chance to earn more kudos with me! I liked Dead Space and Burnout Paradise a whole bunch, now you can totally help make a pretty game about a cop.

With warm regards,
    FlipperDesert.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I hope someone buys Midway Newcastle. They are a local  and it's nice knowing there is a games studio just up the road.

Reverseface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Reverseface

Vin diesel always in the background plotting to JACK THAT CAR!!!!

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#16  Edited By MeatSim

Well at least that Threshold Entertainment objection was thrown out because that was just insulting.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

HES ON FIRE!!!
    BOOM SHIOCKALOCKA!!!

thecombine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By thecombine

MIDWAY PRESENTS NFL BLITZ 2000!

surely the most in-your-face announcer in any sports game.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By AuthenticM

"Do not get me started on the the deep history of strife between Sub-Zero and Scorpion."

Is that sarcasm?

George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By George_Hukas

Is Threshold really out of line making that statement about the lore?

The Mortal Kombat movie fleshed out the finer details of the mythos.

Avatar image for deactivated-6406b1cb85b6d
    deactivated-6406b1cb85b6d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Yes! A Sinistar movie would be great, it could be like "RUN,RUN COWARD, RARGGHH!" and Matthew McConaughey could play the coward.

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Damian

LMAO @ Threshold!

You gotta be kidding me with that foolishness. Do they really need proprietary rights explained to them?
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#24  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @Black_Rose: Yeah, I guess my point was the early stuff.  Jeff's point was that the people claiming that they built more lore than the MK games were targeting a specific time frame, the early few games as opposed to the whole series.  But maybe I misread it.
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Media_Master

I'm sure MK is still going

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.