Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Midway Games

Company »

A now-defunct publisher and developer that was based in Chicago. Best known later in its life for the Mortal Kombat series, Midway's legacy traces back to early pinball and arcade releases, when the company was known as Williams.

Your Tuesday Morning Layoff Report

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
    Arrow, pointing down.
    Arrow, pointing down.
    Well, it wasn't too hard to guess that Midway would eventually be seeing some cuts as the economy gets weirder and weirder. This morning, the company issued a release stating that 25 percent (or around 180 individuals) of the company's worldwide staff. Some games that were previously scheduled for release in 2010 and 2011 have been "suspended." These are listed as "non-core" projects that were never publicly announced, which I take to mean as "we'll keep making Mortal Kombat games." I'd also imagine that the TNA Impact! sequel will still be trucking along, and it's hard to imagine them canning This Is Vegas after so much work (and money) has already been sunk into it. Additionally, Surreal Software--the Midway-owned developer doing This Is Vegas up in Seattle, wasn't mentioned as a location that would see cuts. Nor was the Newcastle studio in the UK. But it's getting harder and harder to determine what Midway views as "core" these days, so I'm just sort of trying to fill in a few of the blanks.

While the layoffs will cross multiple departments, the Austin studio is taking the brunt of the blow, as it's being shut down completely. This was the studio that was working on the already-canceled "Criminal" project, and it sounds like the studio had become a skeleton crew working on tech for the other teams and perhaps working on some of these now-suspended games for 2010-11. Chicago and San Diego have also seen cuts of some kind.

Matt Booty, Midway's CEO, had this to say on the issue:
    “The cost-reduction measures are vital for us to rationalize our operations and provide the resources necessary for our core properties to succeed. These initiatives, along with the other steps we have taken this year, are a response to the specific challenges we are facing at Midway, many of which have been amplified by the current economic conditions.”

In other layoff news, Edge is reporting that 37 people have been let go over at Factor 5. This is said to be around 50 percent of the company's workforce. You may remember that an employee--now a former employee--named Sam Baker posted on his personal blog that employees weren't getting paid on time and that health benefits for employees had been cut. According to Edge's source, Factor 5 is considering legal action against Baker, who has resigned in the wake of all this.

Factor 5 hasn't issued any official comment on the matter.
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff
    Arrow, pointing down.
    Arrow, pointing down.
    Well, it wasn't too hard to guess that Midway would eventually be seeing some cuts as the economy gets weirder and weirder. This morning, the company issued a release stating that 25 percent (or around 180 individuals) of the company's worldwide staff. Some games that were previously scheduled for release in 2010 and 2011 have been "suspended." These are listed as "non-core" projects that were never publicly announced, which I take to mean as "we'll keep making Mortal Kombat games." I'd also imagine that the TNA Impact! sequel will still be trucking along, and it's hard to imagine them canning This Is Vegas after so much work (and money) has already been sunk into it. Additionally, Surreal Software--the Midway-owned developer doing This Is Vegas up in Seattle, wasn't mentioned as a location that would see cuts. Nor was the Newcastle studio in the UK. But it's getting harder and harder to determine what Midway views as "core" these days, so I'm just sort of trying to fill in a few of the blanks.

While the layoffs will cross multiple departments, the Austin studio is taking the brunt of the blow, as it's being shut down completely. This was the studio that was working on the already-canceled "Criminal" project, and it sounds like the studio had become a skeleton crew working on tech for the other teams and perhaps working on some of these now-suspended games for 2010-11. Chicago and San Diego have also seen cuts of some kind.

Matt Booty, Midway's CEO, had this to say on the issue:
    “The cost-reduction measures are vital for us to rationalize our operations and provide the resources necessary for our core properties to succeed. These initiatives, along with the other steps we have taken this year, are a response to the specific challenges we are facing at Midway, many of which have been amplified by the current economic conditions.”

In other layoff news, Edge is reporting that 37 people have been let go over at Factor 5. This is said to be around 50 percent of the company's workforce. You may remember that an employee--now a former employee--named Sam Baker posted on his personal blog that employees weren't getting paid on time and that health benefits for employees had been cut. According to Edge's source, Factor 5 is considering legal action against Baker, who has resigned in the wake of all this.

Factor 5 hasn't issued any official comment on the matter.
    Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Thrawn1

yeah, i saw this on kotaku a few minutes ago. it's a shame, especially the Sam Baker part

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By OmegaPirate

:( i hate whats happening to the world, cant we all just call it quits and start the economy over? 

Superchris129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Superchris129

This isn't a N64 son, no reset button here. UNLESS it's hidden at the bottom of a bottle! Let's go find it!

Axion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Axion

One day, it'll all be Wal-Mart.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By StaticFalconar
    OmegaPirate said:
    ":( i hate whats happening to the world, cant we all just call it quits and start the economy over? "
    You mean like anarchy where we destroy all forms of governments and corporations Fight club style so everybody does get a new start? I don't think its that bad.
    SlowHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By SlowHands

That Arrow is Pointing Down.  Ahhh... memories...

ScottEFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By ScottEFresh

This economy sucks!

dtran1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By dtran1212

so videogames aren't recession-proof after all

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Claude

Someone once told me that a smaller team of people can develop games more efficiently. I don't know about that, but I do feel for the people losing their jobs, my heart goes out to them. Get well soon economy, get well soon.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By Snail

Ha.. Arrow pointing down... Oh that takes me back...

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By jakob187

The AUSTIN studio?  WOW!!!  That's been their bread-n-butta for a while now.  Crazy to see that one go before anything else *cough*MIDWAYCHICAGO*cough*.  Oh well.

ferrarimanf355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By ferrarimanf355

Damn shame about Midway. Their classic catalog could have been better utilized. Like how midwayarcade.com hasn't been updated since launch. If they do eventually update it and get the arcade version of Rush 2049 and The Grid in there, I'd bite...

walreese55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By walreese55

hello? what about aaron and shanker from "from the bleachers"? best. podcast. ever. FUCK CNET!

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#16  Edited By godzilla_sushi

:(

Geeze, these suck.

Bent0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bent0

Even wal-mart is going down too. this is a shame and it's not going to stop... the second wave is coming! 

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kennybaese

Not that the economy doesn't suck balls and isn't the main reason for all of this, but hasn't Midway been pretty much tanking for a while now?

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By Lies

Damn, sucks for them and hope they have luck finding another job in this roubled economy.

Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Evilmetal

At some point one will think if it's even worth buying video games over buying food and clothing. In these times buying used games, from the point of the consumer, yields cost savings. In these times the developer tries to find ways to 'nickle and dime' the consumers because they need money... so you have Gears of War 2 having special access code that can only be used once, so used games do not get access... anti-consumer action. A defensive act by the dev that will make the consumer become more defensive, yielding a down fall chain.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21  Edited By kagato

More sad news it seems, Free Radical is to shut its doors soo all staff members are effecively jobless!  A huge hole has opend up and is swallowing all but the most sturdy developers, i just hope this dosent get any worse.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Media_Master

yup, its all going according to plan

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.