Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 16, 2008

The supernatural kombatants of Mortal Kombat collide with the superheroes of the DC Universe in this crossover fighting game by Midway.

more crappy finishers

Lemegeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Lemegeton

its official. the fatalities in this game suck donkey balls. i know they had the teen rating to contend with, but they didnt even try. sonyas may even topple quan chi's neck stretch as worst looking fatality ever.
    i really hope the fighting engine is as good as it looks/sounds cos the finishers are awful

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Endogene

I would rather have them getting rid of all the fatalities then making these "T" approved versions, this is embarasing...

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Karmum

Wasn't it Rated M in the first place?

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4  Edited By kush

They might as well just call them "Teenality" for this version...

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kush
    Karmum said:
    "Wasn't it Rated M in the first place?"
    It was never rated M due to the DC license.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By pause422

Well I knew they sucked from the beginning, I mean, I have a definite interest in the game because I think the fighting looks pretty good....but yeah I can't help but feel real disappointed with Fatalities, even knowing they would suck with a T rating.

Even worse though- from listening to the 1up yours podcast, I heard that the only cool Fatality we saw so far, you know , where the Joker pulls out the Bang! gun then pops someone in the head? Well yeah, that's been toned down greatly, and now when he shoots them in the head, it cuts off screen and you don't even see the person get shot.....

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kush

^^^^ That Joker fatality got toned down a while ago which was really disappointing...it's not their fault though, they submitted the fatalities to the ESRB and they said they had to change them. There's nothing they can do in that situation.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By pause422

yeah I forgot that was the reason at first, and it was for sure not under their control. Still, it wasn't even close to an M rated finisher with the amount of blood they show in the game, and it sucks that now there is pretty much zero good fatalities :\

stucket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By stucket

look at the bright side,we still get to see death,well,a little bit.......if only there wasnt a ESRB!

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pause422

I still think the gameplay it self looks pretty good, just makes me honestly want them to get to work on MK9 faster.

Lemegeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Lemegeton
    Kush said:
    "^^^^ That Joker fatality got toned down a while ago which was really disappointing...it's not their fault though, they submitted the fatalities to the ESRB and they said they had to change them. There's nothing they can do in that situation."
    i didnt hear that before now. motherfuckin ESRB. that fatality was the best and could still be classed as teen in my book
    suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By suneku

man those fatalities do suck. And why is GT asking for age when its a T rating game... wtf.

Anyways, yeah pretty lame. They haven't revealed all character fatalities right? Hopefully there are some good ones later.

Lemegeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Lemegeton
    suneku said:
     Hopefully there are some good ones later."
    well i officially give up hope after seeing the joker one get edited. any potential that was left is now gone
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By mike

At least the Sub-Zero fatality shown in this video is similar to Sub's fatalities in past games, even though it's nowhere as cool as ripping the dude's head off with his spinal cord still attached.

The other fatalities are so bad, it's funny. If I didn't know any better, I would think that this is all a big joke and the real fatalities have yet to be seen.  Sadly, that's not the case.

krazychris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By krazychris

The Sonya fatatlity looks really really really bad not just the tameness of snapping the neck but it's so poorly edited, though Sub-Zero's fatality isn't bad

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Shadow

......lame

NeuroticOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NeuroticOwl

I don't know if the teen rating really hurts the game that much.  Yeah, there are a lot of neck breaking fatalities, but the more graphic ones are pretty surprising considering the rating.  What you don't see are the over-the-top ridiculous 9 rib cage detritus from MK3 or any of the weird we-ran-out-of-idea fatalities from the later MKs.  Things are toned down, but in the sense that the series kinda returns to how MK1 did fatalties.

Plus, I really like the gameplay.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By pause422

It isn't really surprising, seeing as there really aren't any graphic fatalities, the coolest one got toned down hugely(the Joker one, except for the UK) I think the gameplay looks very fun too. I can't wait for my copy to get here from gamefly, but I'll try to be ok with the fact that the game is T and has such terrible fatalities.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By neoepoch

I still think that the Liu Kang fatality they showed, is totally amazing. Arcade machine for the win!

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By TheGTAvaccine
    neoepoch said:
    "I still think that the Liu Kang fatality they showed, is totally amazing. Arcade machine for the win!"
    Yeah, arcade machine fatality salvages the fatalities in this game a little bit...but it's just not enough to call the fatalities good.
    NeuroticOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NeuroticOwl

Well, I guess it's all a matter of preference.  I thought that fatalities were kinda played out after MK3.  Once the Babalities, Brutalities, Friendships, etc were introduced, the series seemed like it kinda ran out of steam.  I mean, think about it...there are only so many ways that a person can be maimed before the well runs a little dry and you have to start pulling ideas out of your ass.

That being said, I know that fatalities are a staple to the Mortal Kombat series, but personally, I don't mind if they make a game where the fatalities are not a focal point to the appeal.  It's cool that they are there and Liu Kang's arcade one does kick ass, but maybe now that they have had the opportunity to make an MK that doesn't focus on the gore, they can start introducing some gameplay modifications that put the series on par with the other fighting games that have long since surpassed MK's popularity.  From what I've played of MK vs. DC, I think they have a good start on what they can do that other fighting games haven't even approached yet.

The only think that's kinda pissed me off so far about the game is that they changed the movesets of the existing characters (Raiden's teleport, EVERY ONE of Sonya's moves).

BTW, Subzero's new teleport and Captain Marvel ftw

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By pause422
    TheGTAvaccine said:
    "neoepoch said:
    "I still think that the Liu Kang fatality they showed, is totally amazing. Arcade machine for the win!"
    Yeah, arcade machine fatality salvages the fatalities in this game a little bit...but it's just not enough to call the fatalities good."
    Ok that is amazing, the one fatality that will be awesome. I forgot they put that in there, I love that they did that. Every other one though I've seen is just sad.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By kush

What is this Liu Kang fatality that you speak of!? ...I have never heard/seen anything about it.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By Snail

Ooooh! So cute!

TheJadeAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheJadeAngel

Poor Fatalities or not,  the game itself still looks great and the fact it has brought my 2 favorite franchises together is bonus.  Would i like to see gruesome Fatalities/Brutalities yeah of course but i won't hold it against the developers for not being able to include everything they wanted to.  At the end of the day i think MK vs DC should put a smile on a lot of peoples faces :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.