Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

Do you wish Switch had an achievement/trophy equivalent?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Poll Do you wish Switch had an achievement/trophy equivalent? (243 votes)

Yes 57%
    No 43%

I know ppl aren't that into achievements these days but I still do like that it serves as a history, a timeline, a gamer profile of sort. I like to scroll through and see what I've played and how much I put into each game. I also like to look at other ppl's as well to get a sense of their "body of work."

Do you like that you can get away from that on the Switch or do you wish it had something like it?

• 
    jeremyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 11

Keep in mind that if Nintendo were to implement achievements they would screw it up somehow.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
    citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I enjoy trophies and achievements just for extra things to do in games I really love. And occasionally trophy hunting can elevate an otherwise mediocre game experience. PS3 didn’t launch with trophies maybe Nintendo will add them when that new model comes out (not a chance).

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think In General sure but the question is would Nintendo implement achievements in the way they eventually became which is more aimed at encouraging unique ways to play a game or would they do as they do everything else and adopt the most primitive form available and just be like Jump On 1000 of Each Mario Enemy.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm happy enough with the approach that games that want an achievement system can implement their own.

Yes this is missing some things that a system-level solution would provide (most significantly the "compare to your friends / strangers" aspect), but trading that for 90% of games having 90% phone-it-in "achievements" is worth it for me.

Also in an ideal "play our game on any system" future, system-level achievements seem like a half-baked idea; either a multi-system unified approach (which I can't imagine happening on consoles, though this is what MS is trying to do for Xbox + PC at least) or an approach where each publisher has to build their own system (uPlay anyone?) seem to fit better.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm not pining for them, but I've always liked them and would be happy if they existed. Getting some achievements for doing weird things in Breath of the Wild would be a fun time.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm kind of glad they don't, to be honest. Achievements never really give me anything but a small feeling of not really "completing" a game until I say fuck it and turn to the next game so nt having them is a nice change.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really couldn't care less. I will say that I do enjoy the uninterrupted flow of a game without something dinging across the screen, so I'll say no. I don't really like the shift to focus on them nowadays.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes it should have achievements but Nintendo is incompetent so there would be some dumb caveat

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, I haven't cared in probably a decade. Earning them is completely passive for me

echasketchers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It'd be cool to have them but it isn't necessary. What I really want is to be able to see my total playtime in any game down to the exact second, and not have to wait 10 days to access that information.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Onemanarmyy

I don't pay much attention to achievements, but i do like it when they pop up. So yeah, it would be a nice thing to have. I definitly remember moments where reading the achievement description made me realize that something was a fun thing to do that i didn't know about yet. Last instance i remember of that, was finding a diver in The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think if they had a "landmark moments" thing that was recorded in an activity feed, I'd probably take that over full-blown achievements. I agree with people that I am not sure I trust Nintendo to handle an achievement system, but maybe marking thing like dates of completion, getting all the highest ratings or unlocking this, that and whatever in a timeline could be nice.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly because theres nothing tying everything together i feel like my switch is just a really good android tablet rather than a game console. really bothers me. I just got the platinum in Spider-Man, trophies/achievements are sometimes boring, but in the right situations give new context and reasons to play past the end credits.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely. I mean, why wouldn't i? There are no downsides. If there was tropies you could either ignore them or use them to get that little bit extra enjoyment out of your games.

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am kind of relieved that there is no trophy system. I can play games on easy and not have to stress out about 100 percenting a game or grinding mundane tasks just for a trophy. I have so many games on PS4 I gave up on because I missed a trophy that would require a 2nd playthrough or didn't start a game because I knew I could never platinum it.

Switch is the console I play to relax, PS4 when I want to achieve something.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank god no, I know I do this too myself but being trophy free is kinda great, imagine if Monster Hunter Gen had trophy's, it would kill me.

flatblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish switch had a more cohesive platform backend in general. I love my switch, but Nintendo still feels ten years behind on most interface/account based stuff.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I wouldn't mind an optional achievement system, but I absolutely don't want games to be obligated to put in achievements to fit some system-wide criteria.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm indifferent. On one hand, I do look at what achievements/trophies a person has to quickly determine how much progress someone has made with a game. But on the other hand, I am not an achievement or trophy hunter. Those people are crazy. So the Nintendo variant of that would be as important to me as Steam achievements in that they'd just be there to be there.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

Sometimes I really wish they would do it. It would give more meaning/gamer cred to, say, collecting all 900 Korok Seeds in Breath of the Wild in a save I could potentially lose one day. But, I think overall I'm totally fine without it. It makes me play through games for the sake of enjoying the gameplay. And I've gone back to ignoring side content that I don't find compelling, because there's nothing in it for me.

Then again, sometimes I gravitate toward PS4 games just so I can pump up my nerd cred points. It's just a psychology I need to break away from.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Definitely. People who don't care about achievements can just ignore them, others would ideally get to do some fun extra stuff in their games.

There's really no downside if you aske me, except that Nintendo would probably fuck their system up real bad.

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Nick

i would like this, not even as a way to compare my progress to others', but as general direction for games i want to see all the content of

ElectricViking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I play a lot of pre-achievement times games and at some point I realized that even though I don't hear a little chime and make a server-side number someplace grow incrementally larger, I still enjoy those experiences. Sorta lump this together with non-Steam games on PC as well. Couple that line of thinking with the "Now I can play Tales of Vesperia on a train" factor and yeah, I don't really miss the cheevos.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No don't care. I have reached a point where i disable system sounds and notifications on every console i have. I don't need to hear a peep or see a pop-up while playing. So if they ever did implement that stuff i wouldn't mind as long as i had the option to not make it in my face.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I don't really care about achievements anymore. If people want them that's cool, but I eventually just decided I didn't like the influence they had on the way I played games. Granted, you can turn off notifications on pretty much any system, so it's not that big of a deal. Nintendo does feel like the last platform where it's just about playing and not about social comparisons.

BLACKNEND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

I do wish they had one in place for certain games, (like Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey and Smash Ultimate). It would make it more fun to help find everything. I don't care much for achievements, but I think it would be a nice touch for Nintendo Switch.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#28  Edited By Undeadpool

Sometimes? Mario Odyssey kind of does, it's called the Moons. You get them for doing all the weird stuff that you'd normally get achievements for, so it was weird to hear people complain about oversaturation of them.

I think Hyrule Warriors has an internal achievement system as well, so they KIND OF do, if you take a step back and examine what IS an "achievement."

That having been said: I still wish they had them because, at their best, Achievements make me play games in ways I wouldn't normally. I just unlocked one in Dead By Daylight, for instance, that required me using a character loadout I never would have tried. And you could say "Well, why don't you just try it on your own?" but apparently I'm one of those people who needs a prod sometimes.

Oh and I do sometimes find wry, dark humor in them. After an especially harrowing scene in The Last of Us, having a little trophy notification pop up almost felt like the game was grinding my face in it. Like the tooltips in Spec Ops: The Line eventually becoming stuff like "It's all your fault."

MrGreenMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Achievements to me in games to me are completely meaningless unless it's something built into the game itself I dont need some pop up telling me what I did was good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.