Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

Interesting Switch usage data from Nintendo

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I guess Nintendo had an investor presentation or something and they broke down the usage that they've been seeing on the Switch (I guess this data gets uploaded as people play?). It's kind of interesting:

No Caption Provided

I guess only 30% of people use it 80% of the time or more in handheld mode, but a full half of the users are switching back and forth pretty constantly. When I was using a switch for Zelda it was pretty much exclusively in handheld mode, but I guess for things like Mario there are advantages to sitting down it in docked mode.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

The portability is nice and I have taken it places, taken it out of the dock, played it in my bed, and so on and so forth. But damn, that right analog stick on the Joycons is uncomfortable as hell. I would definitely use it in handheld mode way more often if the analog sticks had the Wii U tablet placement. I have no problem with the left analog stick, I can use that without issue.

Whenever possible, I keep the Switch docked and use my Pro controller. The Pro controller is probably the best controller Nintendo has ever made. Probably the least original, sure, but I've never been a huge fan of Nintendo's insistence on unorthodox controller design, although the only Nintendo controller that actually pushed me away from the system was the Wii-Mote.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

It would be interesting to see that data really blown out. Differences between regions. Differences between dense urban areas vs. suburban or rural areas. Game specific stats.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

@justin258:I also don't like the right joycon. I feel like the stick is too far from the buttons so stretching my thumb from stick to buttons makes my hand sore after a while. I prefer the stick below the buttons vs. the Wii U design, but I wish it wasn't such a stretch from one to the other.

I would say I play more in handheld but play in both pretty evenly. Their games have such strong art that I enjoy seeing it on my big tv, but their games are so light on story and dialogue they are easy to play in handheld while watching tv. I've never taken my switch outside of my house except one time to show my parents it.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm guessing Japanese players skew the data a lot for the handheld mode.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I play indies in handheld mode but mostly stick to docked for the larger games. I played all of Mario Odyssey and probably 90% of Breath of the Wild docked. Splatoon 2, Fire Emblem Warriors, and ARMS are also docked only. Shovel Knight, Stardew Valley, Picross S, etc. have been exclusively in handheld. I guess it's just a mindset thing for me. I really like to sprawl out on my couch with my Pro controller for Mario and Zelda. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is probably the only game that gets an equal 50/50 from me, as I only play docked for multiplayer, and do all my singleplayer stuff handheld.

I've definitely seen stories online of people who still have their dock in the original packaging, and are just treating it like a portable console.

As a quick aside, I find the joycon grip pretty uncomfortable but have no problems with the joycons in handheld mode. It's probably from years of contorting my hands around a 3DS.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven’t really used mine in portable mode, especially after buying a pro-controller. I also haven’t travelled by train or bus in recent months, so haven’ had that excuse either.

I’ll probably do grab it with me when I’m visiting family this christmas at least.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

I probably fall into that 80% handheld bucket. If I'm at home I would rather play PS4 or PC games on the big screen, so all my Switching has been on lunch breaks or trains.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I'm 75% Handheld mode. Mario Odyssey I've pretty much solely been playing docked because works better with Pro Controller that way. Botw I was mostly playing handheld but might play that docked too when I go back to it.

Pretty much everything else has been in handheld - on the couch while my kids watch some tv at the end of the day, or just before bed etc. Great handheld system

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

Almost exclusively handheld here. My wife has an iron grip on the TV when the children are sleeping.

vasta_narada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By vasta_narada

I use both modes pretty regularly. I've got a 25 minute commute to work, most of which I can play games during so I take my Switch with me. With Mario, so far it's been play on the train, play on my break, and play docked for a bit when I get home.

Edit: My hands are baby hands, so I've never had a problem with the joycon stick placements.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By nicksmi56

I'm probably in that middle percentage. Mario Kart has been mostly handheld besides multiplayer, as was Sonic Mania, but my girlfriend and I play Overcooked exclusively docked. Octopath Traveler's demo was also a purely docked experience, and I like to use the eShop on the TV.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use mainly docked but play handheld when charging my Pro Controller or something.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have the tiny hands required for comfy joycon usage so I've basically been docked all the time.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By Tom_omb

Right now I'm playing Picross in handheld on my commute and Mario at home, docked. Before Mario came out it was handheld all the time. The only other game I have is Mario vs Rabbids. I bought my Switch in early September.

I'm playing Mario with the untethered joycons and having trouble with right face buttons. Sometimes they aren't registering presses. Pretty detrimental for a platformer if you can't jump when you need to. Had it skrew me over in the jump rope challenge a few times.

...but I don't wanna buy a pro controller 8(

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#16  Edited By isomeri

I've probably spent 80% of my time playing at home with the pro controller. But the portability of the Switch has been neat for my short train commutes and for playing games at the summer cottage. There have even been times when I've pulled the thing out for some quick rounds of Tetris at parties, akin to the commercials.

ElixirBronze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I counted 4 "I guess":s in your OP.

The sort of indecisive news reporting I can appreciate!

Here's also some stats on who's using the switch for those who are interested:

No Caption Provided

elmorales94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I vaguely remember taking a survey that asked these sorts of questions, so I believe the data was provided voluntarily, for what it's worth.

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

100% Handheld here, couldn't be arsed sitting in front of the telly when I could be playing it at my PC, on the toilet or in bed!

TehBuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have yet to connect my dock to the TV. Not what I got it for.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Always Switchin'

While it feels like I play on the go a bit more, I bet if I did the math I'd find it's pretty equal.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It used to be 100% portable for me but now it's probably a 75/25 split docked versus portable for me now. However, the portability of the Switch is still one of the biggest pluses for me. Some games just feel like they suit portable mode better, like Golf Story, Binding of Isaac, Puyo Puyo Tetris, or Picross S, while Zelda and Mario Odyssey fit docked mode a bit better.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So judging by that data there's no chance of a switchless switch then? Shame, the thing would functionally be another Wii U if I got it, only I would need to get up to dock it.

That being said i'll be getting one eventually because Nintendo make some pretty damn good games.

fenster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

I'm actually kind of surprised at how much handheld there is. For me, the handheld is a nice perk for certain games like Stardew Valley, Shovel Knight etc. But for big marquee games (which I feel I have spent most of time playing on the Switch), I like having it docked. Big screen with surround sound is the way I'd rather play those games, otherwise I (and this is just a personal thing) I feel like I'm robbing myself of the experience or something.

But I've also never been a huge handheld gamer so to each their own. At any rate, I love the Switch and love the ability to take it on the go if I want to.

disco_drew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My television only has one working HDMI port after a storm broke the other, and the PlayStation earned that slot via seniority. The Switch will just have to wait to be docked until I have a fully-functioning display.

Marv89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fenster said:

I'm actually kind of surprised at how much handheld there is. For me, the handheld is a nice perk for certain games like Stardew Valley, Shovel Knight etc. But for big marquee games (which I feel I have spent most of time playing on the Switch), I like having it docked. Big screen with surround sound is the way I'd rather play those games, otherwise I (and this is just a personal thing) I feel like I'm robbing myself of the experience or something.

But I've also never been a huge handheld gamer so to each their own. At any rate, I love the Switch and love the ability to take it on the go if I want to.

I exclusively play handheld, but the reason is also that I don't own a TV at the moment and my switch sees most use on frequent business travels. But even with a TV, I think I would play it handheld most of the time

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a dog and I exclusively use the Switch docked. My dog wife uses it more than I do, and sometimes in pawheld mode.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Axersia

@disco_drew22: You do know there's such a thing as an HDMI switch, right? Thing costs like 5 bucks.

Anyway, I've been trying to play the system handheld as much as possible, but the non-existent battery life really kills the experience for me. The 2 hours you get on Xenoblade won't even be enough to make it over to my girlfriend's parents for Christmas.

disco_drew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@axersia: I do, but I’ve always had terrible experiences. My first switch would randomly stop playing audio. The next few I bought wouldn’t switch inputs automatically; I had to use the remote to switch active inputs, but I found that the remotes they came with seldom worked unless you were right by the switch, anyways.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Has anyone else used their switch on the John yet?

Exclusively. I had to eat a lot to make sure I was on the pot enough to beat Zelda!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.