Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

Nintendo deserves a lot more flack for having an online-focused games lineup and a terrible chat solution

• 64 results
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#51 MattyFTM  Moderator

Nintendo have been getting a ton of criticism for their busted voice chat. Every podcast I listen to has been critical of it, every community I visit has been critical of it. Countless gaming websites have posted articles criticising them. Literally everyone is talking about how broken the system is. If anything, when you consider how few people actually use voice chat on consoles, you could consider this response disproportionately harsh on Nintendo.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#52  Edited By sammo21

Here's how it goes with Nintendo:

1. They do something poorly or not all.

2. People complain and make fun of them non-stop

3. Nintendo announces new products or service that's implemented poorly

4. People open their wallets and proclaim undying love to Nintendo. They cite how innovative and original they are.

5. Start back at step 1.

Like other people have said, if you are required to go outside of the hardware you have to use the system best then it is garbage. This is different on PC where people use Discord for team chat or something as it is another option. All this does is ensure I will never a multiplayer game seriously on the Nintendo Switch and I will 100% never get a 3rd game with multiplayer on it either. Saying "just use discord" for a console game is losing the entire plot of why its on a console in general.

@hippie_genocide People who want to party up with their friends and play an online game?

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By hippie_genocide

@sammo21: I was just being cheeky, saying the thing he knew people were going to say anyway.

DanishingAct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@bigsocrates: I love how you ended this, and immediately someone raised their hand.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

It feels they are getting tons of flack, but I do also appreciate the strong "I don't care" sentiment people have. Personally, using console-side voice chat is something I have never really done. Always been phone, skype or discord now. It almost would have been better to just NOT provide any solution frankly, and leave it entirely to 3rd parties. I feel it's unnecassary for game consoles / platforms to really need to take care of this anyways, though there are some benefits to a whollistic approach.

SteveVice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I honestly dont care about the voicechat in any of those games, and id rather use stuff like discord anyway.

And this topic reads to me as "why are you guys not as angry as me, lets be angry instead"

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Nintendo would release a car with no wheels on it, people would still praise that car for being different cause Nintendo made it.

MrPlatitude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By MrPlatitude

@odinsmana said:

I 100% agree. There are certain things like online Nintendo can apparently get away with being terrible at because people will jut shrug and say "It`s Nintendo, what did you expct?" as if that absolves Nintendo of doing a terrible job. It`s espcially baffling because this time it`s not just "not as good as the competition", but so terrible it seems like it was designed by someone who had never seen a video game before.

Yeah its definitely time to stop giving them a pass on boneheaded decisions, particularly in regards to online infrastructure. I don't really care about voice chat personally, but come on Nintendo, Microsoft had this shit figured out in 2002. Everytime it seems like Nintendo does something to take a step forward they do something else to take a few steps back.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure what's the worst part about this chat debacle, Nintendo or the people that make lame excuses for them and for some reason don't care about communicating with anyone regardless of the game.
    I do know that myself and two cousins I play games with most that bought the Switch have no intention on buying Splatoon 2 because of it. So there's that I guess.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#60  Edited By monkeyking1969

We knew this is how it would be, and low & behold that is how it is in reality.

This is not a make or break feature for the fan base nor the typically Switch purchaser. It not like it wouldn't be nice or convenient to have a party chat system that was robust; but that just was not going to happen.

We can just find our zen state by chanting the Giant Bomb Psalms

"Big Jeffy in the sky... grant me the serenity to accept the Nintendo choices I cannot change, the courage to by-pass with other tech the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

@franstone: I would say it's equally/more baffling that someone wouldn't buy a fun looking game solely because the voice chat solution is sub-par.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We can just find our zen state by chanting the Giant Bomb Psalms

"Big Jeffy in the sky... grant me the serenity to accept the Nintendo choices I cannot change, the courage to by-pass with other tech the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Didn't Big Jeffy here on earth savage Nintendo about this on the latest Bombcast?

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: I agree with you that it's incredibly dumb that they didn't include an on system voice chat option. Equally as dumb are people hand waving it away as not an issue because we have things like discord, skype and smartphones. Or that they don't use voice chat so it doesn't affect them.

You absolutely should not need a third party software or a second device to communicate with people while playing games online. That should just be a standard feature by now.

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I feel like Nintendo is kind of in that Fallout 3-era Bethesda area where they can do whatever they want and people will overlook the overall quality to a certain degree because they're doing things nobody else is. "It's Nintendo", "You know what you're getting into", etc.

Fallout 3-era? People did plenty of that even on this site's GOTY discussion for Fallout 4...

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By odinsmana

@musclerider said:
    @mindbullet said:

I feel like Nintendo is kind of in that Fallout 3-era Bethesda area where they can do whatever they want and people will overlook the overall quality to a certain degree because they're doing things nobody else is. "It's Nintendo", "You know what you're getting into", etc.

Fallout 3-era? People did plenty of that even on this site's GOTY discussion for Fallout 4...

With Bethesda at least you can make the argument that the jank in those games are unavoidable considering how they are really complex clockwork games. So that the get those games at all the jank is part of the deal. That does not mean the jank is not bad, but it can be considered a price you must pay for those kinds of games. Wether or not you buy that argument is up to you, but you can not make the same argument for Nintedo at all.

Marv89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Once again, imagine this was a car with no solution for plugging your iPhone in

I don't have an iPhone, and I don't play online... so no

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.