Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox Series X|S

Platform »

The fourth Xbox console from Microsoft launched on November 10, 2020 with two distinct models; Series X and Series S.

Weird issues waking Xbox Series X from sleep (no sound and.or 480P video)

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bigsocrates  Online

For the last six months or so I've had intermittent issues when waking my Xbox Series X from sleep (I have it set to full shut down power saver mode.) For some reason about 5-10% of the time I get one of two errors. Either the video is super low res and stretched out, like a 4:3 480p picture stretched to 4K widescreen or the console has no sound. Both issues can be fixed by going into settings and doing a restart of the console (not a factory reset, just a normal restart.) I have no idea what causes it though it's obviously a software issue of some kind since restarting fixes it, but it's defintiely annoying. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this.

robinpersaud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: This is a strange one - I have an Xbox Series S & X...and haven't seen this issue before. My first thought...bad or loose HDMI cable?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bigsocrates  Online

@robinpersaud: I don't think it's a cable because that's not something that can usually be fixed by just rebooting. It's more likely that there's some kind of weird incompatibility between the Xbox and my TV but I don't really understand what that would be because it never has issues when I'm using it (only when I first turn it on) and 90%+ of the time shutting it down and turning it back on it's fine.

permanentsigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: the 4:3 640x480 resolution is a common-ish issue that is also known to Microsoft but they haven’t been able to fix it. I believe it has to do with a HDMI handshake issue when turning on the console before the screen/input.

In future, turn on your TV/monitor first, make sure you’re switched to the input you’re using for the Xbox, then turn on the Xbox.

For reference, I have a Series X plugged into the 2.1 port of my LG C1, but I also have a PS5, Switch, and Apple TV so I’m often between different HDMI inputs.

permanentsigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By permanentsigh

Microsoft has also asked people to use the “Xbox Report a Problem app” whenever this happens to them so they can get logs and maybe trace the root cause. Whenever it happens to me I do that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.