Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight and I, @zombiepie, am honored to be your host as we look back at the best community generated offerings from the last week.
It would be entirely regressive to introduce this week's Community Spotlight without first recognizing the events from the prior week. As most of you already know, the United States Capitol was stormed by a violent insurrection. Let it be known, as my previous comment might suggest, Giant Bomb views the events of January 6th, 2021 as a violent and illegal attempt to undermine the democratic process of the United States. As Brad has stated on Twitter, attempts to excuse the event with "both sides..." rhetoric will not be tolerated nor will outright support of the insurrection attempt be tolerated. If you discover any comments that are in violation of this, flag or report them to the Moderation Team.
It does, however, comfort me to know that I have an inordinate amount of community and user-generated content that properly showcases the creativity that is forever imbedded in Giant Bomb. To everyone who has written a review, list, thread, or blog on the site that has maintained the community expectations on this site, I tip my hat to you. With that aside, let's review the site-related housekeeping!
- Giant Bomb's Community GOTY voting has begun! Help crown a community 2020 GOTY by filling out the form and you have until January 25th to submit a vote!
- If you experience any issues or bugs with the community voting, here's the thread for reporting issues. Be aware, the most common issues are related to games not existing in the database and/or confusion about a game's "official" release date. If your issue is the former rather than the later, please consider adding the game to the database!
- The staff and moderation team are aware of the recent influx of spambots, and are working on a solution. We are working to keep things under control, but given the time of the year, you will notice waves from time to time.
Author's Note: After a long delay, I finally got around to reviewing and compiling some, but obviously not all of the user-created lists on the site. If I missed your list or blog, PLEASE drop a link to it using the comments section and I will happily showcase it next time!
User-Created GOTY Lists
- GOTY 2020 Top 10 (By: @av_gamer)
- Game of the Year 2020 (By: @bondfish)
- Games of the Year 2020 (By: @aistan)
- Our GOTY of 2020: Again (By: @lcom)
- MezZa's Top 10 Game of the Year 2020 (By: @mezza)
- 2020 Sure Was Interesting, Wasn't It? (By: @drachmalius)
- TOP 10 GAMES I PLAYED IN 2020 (By: @serryl)
- I Liked These Games In < 2020 > (By: @humanity)
- GOTY (2020) Final Form (By: @valorianendymion)
- Best Games of 2020 (By: @aleen634)
- My Public, On the Record, GotY 2020 Prediction (By: @pacmantis)
- Games Of The Year 2020 (As Decided Upon In 2021) (By: @make_me_mad)
- Zackington's Top 6 Games Of 2020 (By: @zackington)
- GotY 2020 (By: @starvinggamer)
- Top 5 Games (That I Played) In 2020 (By: @totalpatoot)
- TFP's Top 10 Games of 2020 (By: @thefakepsychic)
- My Favorite 10 Games of 2020 (By: @mezmero)
- Top 10 Games Of 2020 (By: @taccyp)
- MocBucket62's Top Games of 2020 (By: @mocbucket62)
Hunt270 uses their 2020 GOTY blog to showcase the many classic titles they struck from their backlog during the year! Read all about the older titles they think still hold up to this day!
wonderBun ranks the games both new and old they played in 2020 from worst to best! Did a new title from the year take the top spot or a venerable classic from yesteryear? You're just going to have to read their blog to find out!
FRANZlSKA only felt comfortable putting five games on their 2020 GOTY blog, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't check it out! Give it a read and learn all about the games they think rocked 2020!
XenturiK makes a return to blogging on the site with an exhaustive review of everything they bought and played in 2020! Give it a read if you are in need of some video game recommendations.
ArbitraryWater usually plays a ton of "classic" games but that did not stop them from making a blog about their favorite games that came out in 2020!
With this blog Mento hands out their 2020 GOTY awards! If you are in need of a good laugh, give it a read as you discover the recipients of awards like "Weirdest F'n Game" and "Giant Bomb's Best Feature of 2020."
ItsMagicNeal avoided the traditional 2020 GOTY blog by looking back and reviewing every game they played in the year! Read their exhaustive month-by-month assessment of everything they played.
This year dudeglove excitedly shares their GOTY picks in the form of a handful of videos! Check them out and marvel at their impressive editing skills.
ALLTheDinos uses their 2020 GOTY blog to explain why they think it was one of the strongest years for games in recent memories! See which games helped them get through the year using the link above!
MCCash4Gold finally got around to making a 2020 GOTY blog on the site! In it, they ranked every game they played last year from worst to best!
Like many others, Justin258 exhaustively explores all of the games they played during 2020 and discusses what they discovered about themselves as well as the games that help them relax during stressful times.
Shoutout to hentai.— Giant Bomb Out of Context (@giantbomb_ooc) January 4, 2021
- Michael Higham, 2019
Jeff: Alright Vinny. Now that we are in the soccer, which I know is your wheelhouse.— Giant Bomb Nonsense (@GB_Nonsense) January 5, 2021
Jeff: How do you feel it's doing?
Vinny: Now I'm done. ... ["accidentally" closes game] Oops.
Jeff: Alright, Vinny, now how do you feel about 'Lords of Football'?
Vinny: Pretty good.
Jan: Oh! 'Sonic XX' this can't be bad.— Giant Bomb Nonsense (@GB_Nonsense) January 7, 2021
Jeff: Yeah, it's just two Xs.
[Jan clicks to see thumbnail]
Ben: Why does Sonic have giant knockers?
Vinny: Have you not seen Sonic Boom?#FarewellFlash 12/23/20 pic.twitter.com/trW9FAfC0K
Many thanks to Giant Bomb user Vextroid for taking Brad from episode 668 of the Giant Bombcast and turning it into a banner for the next Hitman!
Whelp, the tradition of people taking Jeff's "meme pictures" and making them worse continues! From the Giant Bomb Reddit, we have these attempts to realistically age two of Jeff's most "iconic" pictures/photos!
nateandrews takes to Giant Bomb to posit a rather "controversial" idea: the original Half-Life is a platformer with shooting in it. Get the full details to their theory using the link above!
Moderator Gamer_152 writes why The Cyberpunk 2077 fiasco is reflective of the enormous power of modern marketing departments and the pointlessness of throwing critics under the bus.
The indie games Timberman Vs. & Mad Age and This Guy are the subject of user imunbeatable80's latest blog on the site! Likewise, earlier in the week, imunbeatable80 finally got around to playing and completing Yakuza 0 and ranks it as part of their on-going "What's the Greatest Video Game?" blog series!
Mento checks out Catmaze for their latest "Indie Game of the Week" blog on the site! Give it a read and learn why they think it's a fun metroidvania for anyone interested in learning more about Slavic folklore!
New footage of Hitman 3 hit the internet last week and you can click the link to the thread above to give it a watch if you have not seen it yet. After giving it a watch, feel free to share your first impressions of what has been shown of the game!
Here's a discussion thread everyone in the community can be a part of! Which games on your 2020 GOTY list do you most worry will get "lost in the shuffle?" Which games are you fearful will not get airtime?
Calling all Assassin's Creed Valhalla players in the community! What are your impressions of the recent batch of patches? Do you think the game has gotten better since launch? Are you playing on a console or PC?
To all of you with a Game Pass on PC subscription, how do you feel about it? Do you think it compares favorably or unfavorably to the Xbox-only version of Game Pass?
Are there any Giant Bomb users that have checked out the latest gameplay footage for The Medium by Bloober Team? Give it a watch and join the community discussion about it using the link!
Ubisoft's pirate game, Skull & Bones, has been delayed delayed several times since its announcement. Do you think the game will actually launch in 2021? Are you excited to play the game? Also, did you know that pirates stole shit back in the day?
- @wemibelle finally got around to playing Rakuen and uses their review of the game to share why they think it is one of the most humanizing depictions of life and death in a video game.
- @shirayuri's VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action review goes over how the game provides an excellent cyberpunk experience with timely critiques of modern culture that still hold up to this day.
- @phanboy4 has a major soft spot for FromSoftware's Shadow Tower on the original PlayStation. Read all about why the game has become one of their all-time favorite guilty pleasure video games
- @s10129107 uses their review of Super Meat Boy Forever to share how the game completely changes the formula of the original game but for the worst!