Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Artifact

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Nov 28, 2018

A digital collectible card game spin-off of Valve's MOBA game Dota 2. Designed by Richard Garfield, the game combines the mechanics of Garfield's signature card game Magic: The Gathering with elements found in MOBA games.

Is this hearthstone with three boards?

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Giant_Gamer

From the way the game is described as "three lanes card game", i thought that they are somehow making you play on the same board which i thought is interesting. However, i found that the game actually have three boards and health bars for each which kind of makes me understand the novel of it but doesn't look like something that make me a buy a game for it. If hearthstone have added this as another mode then i would be fine with it but i'm not sure about this.

I got this from videos so i could be wrong as i haven't tried it, yet.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2 chaser324  Moderator

The three lane thing makes sense from the perspective of them trying to turn Dota into a card game, but yeah, I haven't seen anything here that has convinced me this will be fun to play.

bson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm so done with digital card games. I even finally gave up completely on Hearthstone and don't see myself ever coming back. Nothing about Artifact looks like it will revolutionize the genre or even breathe new life into it. Valve feels completely out of touch as of late ..can we expect their own Battle Royale game in two-three years from now?

hansolol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

• Heroes are worth more in Artifact than Minions in HS. You don't just throw them at the opponent without care.
    • Positioning matters more in Artifact(in individual lanes, not just what lane a Hero is in.) Plenty of abilities and spells in the game with the text, "target enemy/allied neighbors." HS has always been lacking in cards that deal with positioning in my opinion.
    • Turns and combat work differently. Watch videos and you'll get it. Very different from HS turn structure.
    • Units have active abilities while in play in Artifact. HS minions have abilities that can be triggered but they're not controllable(WIld Pyromancer, Gadgetzan Auctioneer etc.)
    • Understanding the Keywords helps in understanding the game while watching videos. Condemn=destroy, Siege X=deal X damage to tower when blocked(kind of like Trample in MTG,) Piercing=ignore armor
    • There seems to be a lot of potential complexity/strategy with the 3 lanes. Arrows near the mana at the top of a spell mean it can hit things in other lanes. / Casters are talking up TP as a very strong item. Allows you to save a Hero from death and move him to another lane./ Blink Dagger lets you teleport around and surprise enemies or save a Hero.

I've tried getting into Solforge, Eternal, Elder Scrolls, MTG Arena, MTG Origins, Duelyst and fell off all of them. They were either too similar to HS or they had a free to play model that didn't keep me interested or they were just boring or whatever. I've played a lot of Hearthstone over the past 5 years and I'm ready for something to take its place. Artifact is different enough and seems to be a lot more complex. Artifact is my most anticipated game of 2018.

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

#6  Edited By Savage

The 3-boards idea actually originated with Richard Garfield, not the Dota IP. Garfield wanted to create a card game where winning a game was like winning a best of 3 series, hence playing 3 boards at once and you must win 2 of them. He approached Valve, Valve liked his ideas, so they teamed up and that's when they decided that the Dota universe would suit the game well (3 lanes, rich yet extremely open-ended canon, huge number of existing heroes/items/abilities, etc.). They've said that if neither Dota nor any of Valve's other existing IPs happened to be suitable for the kind of card game they wanted to make, then they would have created a new IP for it.

Also, Valve and Garfield started making Artifact before Hearthstone came out. So although they have since looked at Hearthstone to learn positive and negative lessons, Hearthstone was not the inspiration for Artifact.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hansolol: i really hope that they have plans to release a demo because i can't decide whether or not i will like it from video footage alone.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.