Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Asteroids: Outpost

Game » consists of 0 releases. Released Mar 26, 2015

Asteroids: Outpost is an "open world, sandbox style survival experience" that focuses on mining, building a base, and then defending it.

This game is no longer available for sale.

Avatar image for reasonablesteve
    reasonablesteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Steam seems to have delisted it. Strangely, the game's website is still up. There's been no activity from the developer on any channel since 2015, and the last contact anyone has had with them seems to be a news article about changing the direction of the game that went up in February of 2016. So, probably dead? I figure they want people to forget it ever existed. Joke's on them, I never forget anything!

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By OurSin_360

Quick read of the steam forum and seems it's been dead over a year but steam was still selling it...

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say that it's almost certainly dead. Are there any examples of games coming back from something like this? I could only imagine it happening if it was like one developer cranking away in a basement and without time or skills to communicate.

It's really a shame what the Atari properties have become. I know that most people here are too young to have any nostalgia or memory of the Atari era (and truthfully I mostly am too, though I had a friend with a 7800 growing up) but these are absolutely the classic foundations of video games. It's like the silent movie era of the medium, and it deserves a lot more respect than this. I wish some deep-pocketed company like Microsoft would buy the rights out from these scamsters, but I guess the numbers don't add up.

To be fair, though, those Atari arcade and 2600 game collections they put out for the PC, Xbox, and PS4 recently were alright, so maybe this is just them cutting ties with a bad era of terrible games and focusing on selling the catalog. That'd be much better.

It's funny to think that Activision split away from Atari to pursue credit for gamemakers and more ambitious games. Now Activision is a massive publisher and one of the most powerful forces in the gaming industry and Atari is just some IP floating around from hand to hand.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

Figured this was going to die someday. About this game not updating, is there a case where a game is pulled from early access due to lack of activity? Like say a game not being updated in over a year like Asteroids. My assumption is no, and they just pulled the plug on it in hopes nobody noticed.

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: I mean, what do you do with Asteroids? I don't think this is a situation where no one is trying figure it out, but I just don't feel like there's money to be made.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.