Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Atelier Rorona: Alchemist of Arland

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jun 25, 2009

The eleventh installment of the Atelier series and first of the Arland trilogy. Rorona has taken up the task to keep the alchemist workshop from closing by completing assignments issued by the Arland Kingdom.

May Millennials 12: Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland (Intro)

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

Edited By Mento  Moderator
    Not to be confused with Atelier Rororie, which is about using social media accounts to create gold.
    Not to be confused with Atelier Rororie, which is about using social media accounts to create gold.

I changed tracks on May Millennials just a tad, with my previous Eurojank CRPG plans falling through for one reason or another - Gothic 3 sounded like it would take over 100 hours, which I don't have to spare in what remains of May, and I got a few minutes into Drakensang before realizing it wasn't going to work out between us - and so we're back to trolling through my PS3 library for something that would count as a '00s release. Like the first game of this year's May Millennials, Tales of Graces F, Gust's Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland was originally a 2009 release in its native country so that's good enough for me. Atelier Rorona is actually the eleventh game in the Atelier franchise: most of them have been Japan-only games due to their niche appeal, the exceptions being the Atelier Iris trilogy for PS2, which were broader "traditional" RPGs, and the Mana Khemia duo for PS2 and PSP which presumably reminded publishers NIS America of Persona with its highschool life-sim elements.

Atelier Rorona focuses on the titular Rorona: a well-meaning but klutzy teenaged apprentice to a slovenly master alchemist named Astrid. Astrid's chief goals in life are to nap and to constantly hit on her comely assistant which, despite being Big Mood and all, hasn't left her alchemical workshop in a reputable or profitable situation. The local kingdom's governance is now threatening to close it unless it can produce something of value every quarter, and Rorona is left to her own devices to make those royal assignments happen after Astrid mysteriously bails and leaves the business in her apprentice's name.

Unlike Graces, which I had been saving for a rainy day before realizing that it'd somehow been almost a decade since I bought it, I'd put off Atelier Rorona for a long while because it's one of the few in the Atelier franchise to see significant improvements for its enhanced "Plus" version, released a few years later with the experience and feedback Gust acquired from several intervening entries. Upon its first release, Rorona reset the Atelier franchise to put the focus back on item synthesis as the core gameplay mechanic as opposed to a convenient means to create curatives and equipment for what were standard RPG dungeon-crawling gameplay loops and linear narratives to follow. This also meant that it was the first of its type, at least in a long while, and thus as much of an experiment as the alchemy it features. Its direct sequels Atelier Totori and Atelier Meruru then further tweaked and enhanced those mechanics, and those tweaks found themselves re-introduced to Rorona's enhanced remasters. Presently, Atelier Rorona can be purchased on PS3 and Vita via the "Plus" edition and on Steam and PS4 as the "DX" edition. Along with graphical upgrades, both remasters seem to be much better regarded mechanically as well; hence my reticence with ever booting up this original version, despite already owning a copy. Still, I needed something with which to finish off this batch of May Millennials, so...

Atelier Rorona is essentially Deadlines: The Game, taking the breezy energy and wholesome art style of the franchise prior and turning it into an anxiety-inducing roller coaster of rushing around and juggling a dozen different tasks before they expire. As well as the main Kingdom Assignments, which need to be completed if your atelier workshop is going to stay in business (they fortunately give you three months to work with, though that can still vanish in a flash), you have the Front Desk Tasks given to you by the knight Esty Dee (she's easy to catch - just visit the front desk of the palace and ask for the receptionist) and Friend Tasks handed out by the major NPCs that either accompany you on ingredient runs to fight off monsters or are vendors with specific materials for sale. Often, accepting an alchemy task only to buy what you need from the store and handing that in is a much more convenient method than, you know, doing any work. Most tasks will require alchemy or materials found in the wild or monster spoils, however, and there's no guarantee you'll be able to find them and return back to town in the time permitted, especially if you've been putting off tasks to move other goals ahead. I suppose I should just be thankful that time doesn't appear to move on its own when you forget to pause the game. (At least I think that's the case...)

Synthesizing new items also takes time and they'll often round up to whole days, making it that much easier to let weeks pass and assignments lapse trying to make just one thing.
    Synthesizing new items also takes time and they'll often round up to whole days, making it that much easier to let weeks pass and assignments lapse trying to make just one thing.

On the other hand, there's something relatively quotidian and low-key about Atelier Rorona's approach to treating alchemy as a day job, as opposed to the world-saving antics of Atelier Iris or the school drama of Mana Khemia, that paradoxically makes the whole enterprise seem a little less... urgent. Rorona's just a normal girl put under a lot of stress by her deadbeat boss and is doing the best she can with a rough situation: a reality far more relatable to those who have toiled in the private sector than hunting dragons and saving princesses. It's not a million miles away from other retail industry adjacent RPGs like Recettear or Moonlighter, especially in the way it balances some basic RPG exploration and combat systems with a novel mercantile format. I'm going to keep at it a little while longer, if only to determine just how demanding its time management becomes as the stakes and difficulty rise in the later chapters, but I can't say being rushed around so much is as conducive to enjoying an RPG as taking the time to explore all my options or procrastinate with side-quests. As always, I'll be sure to hit you all with an Outro later next week to see if it's improved any.

< Back to May Millennials

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I got a few minutes into Drakensang before realizing it wasn't going to work out between us

Real Dubious RPG-ers play at least three hours of Drakensang before realizing that they're wasting their lives. PFFT cute anime girls doing alchemy? Why not play a worse version of Neverwinter Nights 2 with a more impenetrable and Deutsche ruleset?

(in all seriousness you made the right call there)

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 212

#2 Mento  Moderator

@arbitrarywater: Drakensang was a combination of it not running too well on this ancient laptop, a Byzantine ruleset I had zero familiarity with, and a distinct feeling that if I was going to make the effort to finish a whole playthrough despite both of those setbacks it would need to be a game most people are more than just fairly ambivalent about at best. Das Schwarze Auge could really use a Temple of Elemental Evil, or even a Shadowrun Returns, to onboard newcomers; I don't think Drakensang or those Realms of Arkania remakes are going to do the trick.

Turns out I own fewer janky '00s RPGs than I originally thought, at least those I haven't played yet. I figured my GOG library was full of the things. Right now, all that's really left is NWN2 and Gothic 3, both of which are a tad too big to want to dedicate the last week of this month to. Gonna have to go back to the drawing board for May next year (or buy more crap in preparation).

Atelier Rorona has proven to be an entirely different brand of horseshit though, so I'm wondering if I made the right choice.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 42

This was my introduction to the series and I can't say it was a pleasant one. Balancing learning the game's mechanics with the schedule was just too much. I am coming to realize deadlines might be among my least favorite mechanics in gaming. Looking at you, XCOM 2.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Efesell

Yeah I'm a big fan of Atelier games in general but usually because they're very comfy experiences. The Arland games are a little too stressful to play blind.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.