Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Baditude

Concept »

Baditude is being "edgy" in an obviously forced or fake manner. Games with baditude often feature excessive swearing, gratuitous violence, and content meant to shock or offend.

The concept of baditude

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By DJ_Lae

I think the whole point of this page is lost on a lot of people doing the submissions - things like Goldeneye and Halo really are not good examples of baditude. Are people confusing mature with this concept?

Shadow the Hedgehog is a good example of baditude - it's edgy, teenage angst-fueled forced maturity into a series or genre that traditionally hasn't gone that direction. Prince of Persia took that route too. So did Jak.

And even then, why was Sands of Time submitted? It preceded the whole Prince of Persia baditude phase. Man, I don't understand people sometimes.

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Termite

Yeah, some of the things on that list really don't belong there

Avatar image for deactivated-63cabd6b28362
    deactivated-63cabd6b28362

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

My favourite element on the list: Super Mario Galaxy. Say WHAAAAAAAT?

Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Oilers99

Baditude can be anything that is fake edgy; it doesn't necessarily have to be a series that shifts in tone. And a shift in tone toward a darker style does not necessarily mean baditude either, as few will argue that Twilight Princess, despite being a darker game than Wind Waker, had much baditude.

The Sands of Time is the exact opposite of baditude; a charming fairy tale about two people who fall in love while the world falls apart. If you could isolate the cover of the American version, though, definite baditude. In fact, I think Warrior Within is a sequel to the cover of The Sands of Time.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By DJ_Lae

True, I would probably give it to Sands of Time based on the US boxart compared to the Japanese. I mean, obviously we're not sophisticated enough an audience to get art that actually represents the game itself - no, we need additional incentive. A darker image of a lone prince, glaring into the camera with an evil looking enemy reflected in his massive sword.

And yeah. Mario Galaxy? Prime baditude, apparently.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#6  Edited By LordAndrew

There are way too many games listed as having baditude when they have none.  Smash Bros.? Goldeneye? Half-Life? Ocarina of Time? Mario Galaxy?

Anyone willing to give the entire list a once-over and remove the games that don't belong?

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Brad

You should submit an edit removing those games from the list.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is the fact that some items in the list are kind of bogus just a by-product of the ridiculous length of the submission queue and things just slipping through in an effort to deal with the tide? If so I'd argue that we leave the page as-is for the time being and revisit it when the same games won't just get added back into the list.

I mean, that's just me though.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#9  Edited By LordAndrew

Yeah. It might be better to wait for everything to calm down a bit before attempting to remove them.

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10  Edited By Termite
    LordAndrew said:
    "There are way too many games listed as having baditude when they have none.  Smash Bros.? Goldeneye? Half-Life? Ocarina of Time? Mario Galaxy?

Anyone willing to give the entire list a once-over and remove the games that don't belong?
    "
    Ok Mario Galaxy doesn't make sense but Smash Bros, at least the newest one, has Sonic in it. So that one counts. Half-Life doesn't really belong there, Gordon seems to be very mature and collected although some of those soldiers....

Ah, I'm getting ahead of myself.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd argue that containing a character with some degree of baditude doesn't make the game a good example. That's why you link the character to the concept, not every game the character is in. Or in this case the Sonic games that had baditude. If we focus on the minutiae then people are going to miss the point because they'll see a bunch of games and not really make the connection.

JakeB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JakeB

Would Gears of war be acceptable in baditude, because according to the description on the overview page, I think it fits. It has lots of swearing, a protaganist dressed in dark gray armor, gratuatous violence, etc.
    I'm just trying to get an idea of the concept.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.