Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Batman: Arkham Knight

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 23, 2015

Developer Rocksteady's return to the Batman series takes place one year after the events of Arkham City. It expands the open world from the previous game and allows players to finally drive the Batmobile throughout Gotham City's streets.

Less than 48 hours out, still no Steam pre-load

• 52 results
    korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By korwin

So this says one of two things to me.

• No preload, enjoy your 2 day download after launch time

or

• Hey you guys remember that sick streaming download we did for Mortal Kombat X that totally worked and wasn't a shit show at all?!?!

Ugh.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Would be a bad idea to try the MKX thing again.

Technician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yeah I guess you could try downloading when available and if you can't play on launch day, try to get a Steam refund and hit up your local Best Buy or GameStop for a boxed copy?

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korwin:

1: Get better internet, will take me 50.86 minutes to download it and that's assuming it's exactly 45 GB, but it's likely closer to 35-38 GB, if not less.

OR

2: Buy the box copy and spend 3 hours installing it, unless you have quad RAID 0 SSD's, then take 15 minutes to install it :)

Ah yes, get better internet. Why didn't I think of this before... I'll sell my house and move to one the few places in the city that doesn't use DSL.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

With great modern games comes great inconvenience. I can only wonder how long I'll need to wait for Fallout 4 to be ready when the time comes. It'll be worth it.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With great modern games comes great inconvenience. I can only wonder how long I'll need to wait for Fallout 4 to be ready when the time comes. It'll be worth it.

Well preload's more or less work around this for most part. If you can have 95% of the game on disk encrypted ahead of release date then it's not much of a problem.

@jjor64 said:

Would be a bad idea to try the MKX thing again.

WB aren't exactly known for their excellent decision making.

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I dont really understand why they dont enable pre-load. The game is 45 gigabytes and the day 1 patch is said to be 3.5 gigabytes. Instead of being able to play in a couple of hours after the release I have to probably wait several hours until I am able to play the game.

The problem for me is that I plan to play the game on PS 4 and since my console doesnt support a mobile 4G internet connection I have to use adls connection which is much slower (450 kb/s versus 4.5 mb/s).

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not losing my shit about this, but I am disappointed they didn't enable preloading (at least on PC, from what I understand it's available on PS4 at least). This will most likely at least a full day download for me, probably closer to two days.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just hope this game runs ok, i'm kinda regretting buying this on pc now even if it was only 36$. Never used this site before, and still don't have a key (not sure if it's because of lack of preload, or they are going to make me wait until release day.

mycoolhistory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: If you got it at Green Man Gaming, they say that the code will be given to you on the day of release. I've never used them before, but they have a solid reputation, so I wouldn't worry. Isn't like having the code is of any benefit at this point...

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@oursin_360: I've never had a problem on GMG (I got the game for $36 from them as well) & I assume they'll send it out release day.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Getting it early would allow for a preload if it actually happens at all, and yeah it does say day of release. But I didnt' see that when I bought it lol, not worried to much about the preload the saving is enough.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I THINK id rather own a house than have good internet. I THINK...

GMG always sends keys out pretty late (relatively speaking)

Also yeah. The mkx thing was pretty infuriating. At least give an option.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: Good internet was a need when I bought my house. Get both.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Well, uh, have you tried... caring less about playing it day one? lol :P

Good luck duder I feel for you. Too broke to get it right away anyways. I'd be curious to know why they decided to go this way / why any company their size doesn't do pre-loading. Is it really just fear of leaks? Or maybe some logistical thing? Or maybe the files are just gonna be so hot when they arrive?

xSeanZx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By xSeanZx

The preload is up .......

schlorgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Preload is active now. Restart Steam and you should see it.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

"Get both" is probably the worst advice I've ever heard since "just don't be sad."

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pre-load is up, glad to see that WB decided not to repeat the whole segmented download thing that happened with Mortal Kombat X.
    It's also 33.7GB.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maginnovision said:

"Get both" is probably the worst advice I've ever heard since "just don't be sad."

Housing affordability be damned :P

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By maginnovision

@korwin@the_nubster: It's not really all that hard. If you're looking in an area, you could just be 1 street over, same style house, same price, but one gets bad internet. You don't pick that one. You guys haven't bought many houses I'm guessing.

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hand over my damn key green man.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By korwin

@maginnovision said:

@korwin@the_nubster: It's not really all that hard. If you're looking in an area, you could just be 1 street over, same style house, same price, but one gets bad internet. You don't pick that one. You guys haven't bought many houses I'm guessing.

I think your confused as to which country I live in (Australia). The only places with access to decent internet in my town are up north. The prices weren't terrible however the local rules with regards to pet ownership essentially crossed them all off my list.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korwin: I've been to a couple countries now and the housing markets are largely similar. With Australia I never hear anything good about the internet though, so you'd probably be better off leaving it behind entirely. Taiwan maybe.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

It's probably not "that simple", but digital downloads are becoming more and more prominent and games are getting much, much bigger and internet connections just can't keep up. Pre-loading should be available a full week before the game launches if publishers really want people to play the game on the day they bought it. I just can't fathom why not - allowing a week for everyone to pre-load could ensure that most customers get to play their copy on day 1 and it could help alleviate server issues.

Raspharus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You guys jumped to conclusions to fast, indeed the preload was up. Also can someone update me on the internet issues that the other countries have? I'm living in Romania and frankly my internet is not that bad at all(downloaded gta v in like 5 hours).

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You guys jumped to conclusions to fast, indeed the preload was up. Also can someone update me on the internet issues that the other countries have? I'm living in Romania and frankly my internet is not that bad at all(downloaded gta v in like 5 hours).

I wouldn't call less than 2 days before a game launches a fast conclusions, it's very late by most standards and WB has a track record with this stuff. Internet wise I get at best 6.5 mbps down, and that's really dependent on things like the weather.

Raspharus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korwin: The fastest I went for is about 12 mb/s. But I have like the slowest internet(100 mb/s browsing speed, my ISP has some offers with even 2000 mb/s)

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ezekiel

I can only download at 1 mb/s, but currently I'm downloading at half that because it makes browsing the internet easier. Yet I'm not bothered by the late pre-load. I don't wanna play it in the middle of my work week anyway.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korwin: The fastest I went for is about 12 mb/s. But I have like the slowest internet(100 mb/s browsing speed, my ISP has some offers with even 2000 mb/s)

Mbps =/= Mb/s. The download speed I get is around 650kb/s, at least it's better than the 400 kb/s I was getting at my last place.

DrBroel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Just finished preloading. Took about eight hours.

pkmnfrk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a good thing that AAA games aren't broken on launch these days, and that everyone who wants to play on day 1 will totally be able to.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any other GMG pre-orders get your codes yet? They said they should be out in the next few hours, my game page has a download link now but no code yet.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Tennmuerti

@pkmnfrk said:

It's a good thing that AAA games aren't broken on launch these days, and that everyone who wants to play on day 1 will totally be able to.

So far Rocksteady's Batman games have all been rock steady.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The preload is up but i wont use it. The crazy decrypting process takes longer than downloading the game.

Guybrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

Any other GMG pre-orders get your codes yet? They said they should be out in the next few hours, my game page has a download link now but no code yet.

I just got mine. Got an email.

MOAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360 said:

I got mine. Downloading @ 15 MB/s!

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@oursin_360: yup just got the email and am currently preloading!

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By xanadu

I dont have any code or emails sent for GMG yet :(

EDIT: And just as I typed that I got my code! Preloading on steam now! I still don't understand how GMG works. How can they afford to give away steam keys for a game at literally almost half price? Did these codes "fall off the back of a truck" or something?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By OurSin_360

Just got mine, wish was still in texas where they had affordable fast internet. My top speed here is 2.7Mb/s, would have hated waiting 3 hours to play this game.

Whats the word on the unlock time?

MOAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanadu said:

I still don't understand how GMG works. How can they afford to give away steam keys for a game at literally almost half price? Did these codes "fall off the back of a truck" or something?

DON'T QUESTION IT!

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By OurSin_360

GMG probably buys the codes bulk for a retail discount and takes what they feel like is an acceptable loss to gain new customers over time. It definitely won't last forever, probably end up with 5% discounts when they reach their goals at the most.

Punched

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GMG probably buys the codes bulk for a retail discount and takes what they feel like is an acceptable loss to gain new customers over time. It definitely won't last forever, probably end up with 5% discounts when they reach their goals at the most.

They're not a new site. They've been doing this for at least 5 years now. They're buying their keys directly from the publishers. It's like an online Best Buy.

Batman games are often strangely cheap. The first one was $30 the day it was released. And AK is just about the only big game released on Steam in Canada for $60.

dodgyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By dodgyc

For anyone in the UK, got my pre-order code for ~£16 on CDKeys, which comes with the Harley Quinn DLC. Pre-Load on Steam finished for me this morning.

CD-Keys is a bit odd, as you only get the discount when you like their page on Facebook, but I've been able to reset it and just get a new code.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punched: yeah also (usually) GMG doesn't have quite as insane specials as they used to. I recall getting two free games and gmg credit when preordering bioshock infinite for like $36. I think theyre past the building a customer base phase (if that was their intention back then)

Punched

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: Bioshock Infinite was similar to Batman in that AMD bought a billion keys to give away with their gpus and had to unload them.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice GMG has a 40% voucher up on their site!

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By flameboy84

Well PC gamers you aren't alone...I just had to call Best Buy as my copy isn't even being processed turns out it won't be released for packaging until tomorrow.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.