Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Battlefield 3 on Consoles Looks Like Battlefield 3 on Consoles

• 147 results
    emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#51  Edited By emem

@zodiac_motherfucker said:

IT LOOKS FUCKING AWESOME AND FUCK A PC

It does look great.

I don't think that elitism bullshit (from both sides, there shouldn't be sides..) is going on here though.. at least not yet.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

There's more then just the advantaged of graphics on PC there's also the 64 players which mostly means bigger maps like BF2 had but for the console players I hope they enjoy the game.Even if this game doesn't beat COD in sales I would hope it would start a trend of more tactical shooters out there then the run and gun arcade style that the FPS genre has turned into.I would like to think people are getting sick of it and would want a change for a smarter more challenging FPS games.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#53  Edited By pweidman

@SuperSambo:

He plays, just a casual gamer. But he's willing to play and show off games on his show so he's ace in my book. Anyway, the game looks great on PS3. Too bad he couldn't let that demo go a little further. The DICE guys were kinda stunned about how fast he wrapped it up and thanked them. Of course it's sp, this was exposure for the mainstream or those who might not even be aware of how fucking amazing games can look and play these days. Very cool.:)))

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

There are reasons other than just graphics to get this game for PC.

That said, anyone getting the console version probably won't be disappointed.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#55  Edited By Enigma777

QFT!

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#56  Edited By Simplexity

Looks good enough on consoles to me, will be getting this on PC though, just upgraded so it'll look effin sweet if nothing else.

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By defaulttag

@emem: I definitely agree with that. With new PC hardware coming out every 6 months or so, there will be PC games that utilize that hardware. The Witcher 2 is a great example you made. I have a 2-year old PC (DX10 gpu). I play Witcher 2 on High averaging at 30 FPS. I would love to play the game on Ultra with Ubersampling on and get 60fps. To do that, I would need a GPU that came out this year. Personally however, I do not necessarily need it. I have other financial priorities than 60FPS and enabling Ubersampling on a single game. Same thing goes for playing BF3 with max settings. I guess it's up to the person when he or she wants to run a certain game maxed out and finally upgrade. Money is always a factor. The number of games utilizing the technology could be a factor. Or, like you said, it could be a single game that that person really wants to play in it's full graphical glory. There is no doubt I will be upgrading my GPU at least in the next couple of years. It won't be because of BF3. It will be when I cannot tolerate medium settings anymore on so many games or when I finally have some spare change again. Or maybe I'll just buy the next-gen console and wait a couple of years after until PC hardware and PC games surpass that console's graphical power. What drove me to buy my gaming PC two years ago was that I wanted to play current gen games (games on 360 or PS3) but with better graphics. I was not satisfied with how multiplatform games looked on my PS3. The PC I had back then was a single core pentium 4 with an AGP 4x GPU. Games like Fallout 3, GTAIV, MW2, RE5 were several games I wanted to see in their full glory running at true 1920x1080 with AA and AF on. Neither my PS3 nor my PC at the time could offer that. I wasn't particularly looking at PC games at the time. However, with that hardware, I was able to appreciate Starcraft 2 and Crysis. For now, I'm fine with my current hardware. Most likely, I can play BF3 on medium. Since it's a great engine, it'll probably look awesome even at those settings similar to how Witcher 2 was for me. Yet with that, I can probably still play Batman: AC, Mass Effect 3, Bioshock Infinite, Assassin's Creed: Revelations, and MW3 on high settings as well. Like I said, it depends on the person's perspective on when to invest on an upgrade- whether it be for one game, or several games representing a new generation. For me, it's the latter.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By zombie2011

That was such a lame demo, instead of talking about the destructible environment why not show it. They just stood in the same area and shot dudes for 3 minutes.

Everytime they have shown this game it just looks like a boring MW.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By emem

@defaulttag: Yeah, all of that makes sense and I definitely agree that you will be able to play games with your current 2 year old hardware, on medium up to high settings, for at least 3 more years.. as long as they do not prioritize on the PC or are badly ported, of course.

Sometimes it's hard to decide whether to invest in new hardware for the PC or maybe get a new console. Well, right now it's not, but when the next generation comes around I also might get me a PS4 or a new Xbox, simply because it's cheaper. And we will still be able to play all of the upcoming great indie games for quite a while, even with older hardware. Indie games are great, by the way. :)

I own a PS3 for exclusives as well and I wouldn't want to live without it, but when it comes to multi-platform games I feel the same way.

@zombie2011 said:

That was such a lame demo, instead of talking about the destructible environment why not show it. They just stood in the same area and shot dudes for 3 minutes. Everytime they have shown this game it just looks like a boring MW.

I wouldn't have let Jimmy Fallon play something with a lot of action either. :P

The more impressive stuff will come, I don't think they have to go all out like MW3 just yet. I mean, CoD nowadays shows almost all the great action scenes in their trailers.. I prefer to be suprised, the unknown is sexy. Hopefully the game will be great and offer some crazy shit.. I've got a pretty good gut feeling, but we will see/know once it's out.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By SeriouslyNow

You don't know what awesome looks like.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#61  Edited By Cirdain

It looked fine calm down.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By onarum

For me the main reason why to play it on a PC instead of consoles is player count/map size, but yeah.... the difference in the graphics is hard to ignore.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#63  Edited By EuanDewar

Game looks very nice on consoles, look forward to seeing more of it.

jkuc316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#64  Edited By jkuc316

I couldn't see much wrong in it, but I wear eyeglasses and I don't really pay attention to detail.

But I am sure, This definitely looks better than Black Ops.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I have been saying I would get it on consoles since it was announced, and this just solidifies that. The game looks great.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Origina1Penguin said:

@Roundlay: Thanks for posting the vid. Looks pretty good to me. I think console buyers will be plenty satisfied.

I agree. Sadly most people are gonna bring this up to just piss off console owners. I do not have the money to build a gaming PC. I barely even have 1400 in my bank account now. Food and rent come first. 
    thornie_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By thornie_delete

@StingingVelvet: I made similar comments in another thread. IMHO it's quite a significant downgrade, much less than let's say Crysis 2. My first impulse reaction was to say "wow this looks awful". After I slept on it, I realized that it looks just like Bad Company 2 on console, which is to say it looks "OK". The most jarring thing for me was the muddy textures, all of the aliasing, and the lower frame-rate.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#68  Edited By RIDEBIRD

The jaggies tried to poke my eyes out, and it's much lower res overall, as well as having post processing effects not look that great. Still though, it looks totally fine and like the best looking games on console anyway.

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By thehexeditor

I was playing Bad Company 2 on the 360 the other day, the singleplayer mission where you're in the desert. The sandy vistas looked like a reasonable console quality version of BF3's desert visuals.

This demo looks pretty much how I expected it to. And that's perfectly fine.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Arker101

Come on. That looks very nice to me, and I agree with whoever said "10 feet away from a TV is different then being a foot away from a Monitor." 
    PC beats consoles, no doubt, but friends beat PC.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

@Funkydupe said:

Funny how they always show the singleplayer missions and not the multiplayer.. I guess they really do want this to be more than a multiplayer game these days. I don't see what's wrong with just doing multiplayer really well. We've seen this exact same part on PC and I couldn't see the difference. Show me multiplayer and we'll talk.

You dont have to convince the MP crowd to get the game, they will get it no matter what. What they are trying to do (I think) is convince the people that never played a battlefield game to get it. By promoting the singleplayer they can do that.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#72  Edited By Jayross

@Grillbar said:

yeah ill proberly buy it for the ps3 even though i just spend 2700 bucks on a pc that is basicly just for civ 5 and diablo 3 if it ever comes out.

You spent nearly 3 grand on a pc and you are going to buy BF3 for the consoles? Dude.. what?

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#73  Edited By sopranosfan

Not smart enough to have a gaming PC so this version looks just fine to me. 
    Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Pibo47

Damn...i wish i had the PC to run this...but i dont have the cash. Even if i did, id probly buy other things i need more or save the money. I intend to get a nice compy one day, but i feel like that wont be for a while.

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Surkov

i still don't know if I want this or Twisted Metal, I guess I'll wait for the reviews. I'm glad Starhawk is coming out next year or else my multiplayer gaming would be all over the place. 

02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By 02sfraser

I still thinks it looks great one PS3 so will be buying in instead of spending £1000 on a PC. Obviously it doesn't look as good but it will definitely suffice.

StingingVelvet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#77  Edited By StingingVelvet
    @Arker101 said:
    Come on. That looks very nice to me, and I agree with whoever said "10 feet away from a TV is different then being a foot away from a Monitor."
    That's what I try to tell people when they say they're console gamers because of their "big TV."  Since you sit so close to a PC monitor my 28" monitor is larger than my 44" television.  I sometimes hook my PC up to my TV for games that use a controller well and the image is MUCH smaller that way.
    Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Sogeman

as long as it looks better than BC2 on consoles I don't care. I'm in for the gameplay.

Zatoichi_Sanjuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Zatoichi_Sanjuro
    @NDart said:

@StingingVelvet said:

Not trying to be Mr. PC Elitist McJackass here, but that looks a lot worse than the PC footage. Worse than I expected it to look, frankly. I'm kind of shocked. I'm sure it looks "good enough" though, which is the console standard I suppose. In the end the real thing you guys should be upgrading a PC for is the 64 player battles and massive maps.

This a million times. Forget all the people who talk shit about graphics, the real reasons why the PC version of BF3 is the best are maps, mods and player caps.

Exactly. 12 v 12 is not a Battlefield game. Not after BF2. BF3 on consoles will be, at best, a sequel to BFBC2.  Most of the people buying this game on console will be Call of Duty players in any case, and that's ostensibly what they're going to get; small maps (for a Battlefield game), and a handful of enemy infantry to shoot.
    StingingVelvet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By StingingVelvet
    @Zatoichi_Sanjuro said:
    @NDart said:

@StingingVelvet said:

Not trying to be Mr. PC Elitist McJackass here, but that looks a lot worse than the PC footage. Worse than I expected it to look, frankly. I'm kind of shocked. I'm sure it looks "good enough" though, which is the console standard I suppose. In the end the real thing you guys should be upgrading a PC for is the 64 player battles and massive maps.

This a million times. Forget all the people who talk shit about graphics, the real reasons why the PC version of BF3 is the best are maps, mods and player caps.

Exactly. 12 v 12 is not a Battlefield game. Not after BF2. BF3 on consoles will be, at best, a sequel to BFBC2.  Most of the people buying this game on console will be Call of Duty players in any case, and that's ostensibly what they're going to get; small maps (for a Battlefield game), and a handful of enemy infantry to shoot.
    What will be exceptionally annoying is when most reviews and forum comments are based on the Xbox version.  "Not that different" they will say, while I smack my palm to my forehead.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#81  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @StingingVelvet said:
    @zudthespud said:

My PC meets the recommended specs so it prolly won't look as good as the pc demos but it should run alright. If it looks as good as Bad Company 2 then I will be happy.

The PC demos are probably max settings with super-sampling, no one is likely to run the game like that on release day online for performance reasons.  Singleplayer maybe, if you have the newest gear.  I really need a new processor (running an Intel Q9550 right now) before the game comes out.  My processor kept me in the 40fps range in Bad Company 2.
    Dice hasn't announced the recoomended specs yet...
    DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#82  Edited By DG991

@Jayross: No steam, no sale.

truckington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By truckington

I guess I'm the odd man out here, because I cannot stand playing most games on a couch. Even when I play my PS3, I'd rather play it hooked up to my monitor while sitting at my desk.

As for the quality of the PS3 version, probably best to hold final judgement until a proper video direct from EA/Dice comes out instead of a re-compressed clip from tv on youtube. That said, it looks pretty much like I thought it would.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#84  Edited By beargirl1

i don't even see a big difference. it looks really good to me. 

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Normally I would get this type of game on a console, but I'm actually going to have a new computer when this is out. I will also be able to play all these PC games I own that don't run on my 5+ year-old computer.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#86  Edited By Sooperspy

Looks very good to me. Not as good as PC, but that is expected.

InternetCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By InternetCrab

Looks really good. I will buy it on 360 though, since i have a laptop that is shit for games. I remember i had GTA: SA and i tried to run it on my laptop (i bought the GTA: SA game when i had a gaming pc, i had to sell it to pay up for student debts). And it lagged to the edge of broken after 10 minutes.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Sooty

Looks decent as I would expect it to.

Still heading to PC for the higher player count though.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Sooty
    @StingingVelvet said:
    @zudthespud said:

My PC meets the recommended specs so it prolly won't look as good as the pc demos but it should run alright. If it looks as good as Bad Company 2 then I will be happy.

The PC demos are probably max settings with super-sampling, no one is likely to run the game like that on release day online for performance reasons.  Singleplayer maybe, if you have the newest gear.  I really need a new processor (running an Intel Q9550 right now) before the game comes out.  My processor kept me in the 40fps range in Bad Company 2.
    Bad Company 2 isn't CPU limited so it won't be your processor keeping you in the 40FPS range.

http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/battlefield_bad_company_2_tuning_guide,7.html

Even dual cores can run that game at 60FPS consistent with the right graphics card.
    StingingVelvet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By StingingVelvet
    @Ygg said:
    Bad Company 2 isn't CPU limited so it won't be your processor keeping you in the 40FPS range.  http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/battlefield_bad_company_2_tuning_guide,7.html  Even dual cores can run that game at 60FPS consistent with the right graphics card.
    I have a GTX 480.  Bad Company 2 likes AMD cards much more than nVidia, which is why the numbers on that comparison are so high with a 5870.
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Sooty
    @StingingVelvet said:

@Ygg said:

Bad Company 2 isn't CPU limited so it won't be your processor keeping you in the 40FPS range.  http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/battlefield_bad_company_2_tuning_guide,7.html  Even dual cores can run that game at 60FPS consistent with the right graphics card.
    I have a GTX 480.  Bad Company 2 likes AMD cards much more than nVidia, which is why the numbers on that comparison are so high with a 5870.
    My friend has a GTX 460 and gets a consistent 60FPS on BC2, I believe he has an E6600 overclocked to 3.4Ghz, I have another friend that plays it maxed with 4xAA, he has a Q6600@2.8 and 285 or something, although I've not been to his house and see it play but from what he's said it runs super smooth.

I have a 4Ghz i5 though so my own results are a bit irrelevant. I find it odd you're getting such low numbers with a 480. :|
    StingingVelvet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By StingingVelvet

@Ygg said:

My friend has a GTX 460 and gets a consistent 60FPS on BC2, I believe he has an E6600 overclocked to 3.4Ghz, I have another friend that plays it maxed with 4xAA, he has a Q6600@2.8 and 285 or something, although I've not been to his house and see it play but from what he's said it runs super smooth. I have a 4Ghz i5 though so my own results are a bit irrelevant. I find it odd you're getting such low numbers with a 480. :|

Well I thought the game performed below what it should but when I googled it everyone kept telling me my performance was about right. Note that my processor is at stock speed, 2.8Ghz.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#93  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Ygg said:
    Even dual cores can run that game at 60FPS consistent with the right graphics card.
    Aren't dual-core CPUs from the AM2 MOBO era while "the right graphics cards" are mostly AM3 compatible? (or are MOBOs AM4 now? haven't been keeping up)

I could be wrong though. But the only reason i haven't bought a GTX 580 yet is because it requires a new MOBO while my AMD Athlon dual cores need an AM2 MOBO, which is what i have, And i can't afford to upgrade the whole thing just yet

So ? how could a dual-core CPU (lets call it last gen) work on the same MOBO with a new GPU (current/next gen) ? I'm not saying you're wrong, i'm a little MOBO-ignorant.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#94  Edited By natetodamax

It's looking great. I just wish the multiplayer could have 64 players like the PC version. Oh well.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#95  Edited By MooseyMcMan

The stuff on Jimmy's show looked fantastic. Not as fantastic as the PC version, but still great. 

withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By withateethuh

Why is it that when it comes to multi-platform games, the PS3 version is always the worst looking? I've always noticed in comparison shots it generally has muddier textures and less AA.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#97  Edited By MysteriousBob
    "Video game week"? 

So this American channel is essentially replacing all its programming with paid video game marketing? 
    Thats actually pretty clever.
    Zatoichi_Sanjuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Zatoichi_Sanjuro
    @withateethuh said:
    Why is it that when it comes to multi-platform games, the PS3 version is always the worst looking? I've always noticed in comparison shots it generally has muddier textures and less AA.
    Because SPU's are mind-numbingly awesome.
    Applederp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Applederp

I would rather play it on PC

All you guys thinking it won't matter on consoles are sorely mistaken. Even Bad Company 2 (a Battlefield game MADE for consoles) was ten times better on the PC. It will be the same thing with Battlefield 3. Granted not everyone has a good rig to play it, which is a tragedy.

Also, anyone who says you need $1500 to make a decent gaming PC doesn't know jack about PC Gaming.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Nice to see they aren't downgrading the pc version giving us so many frames and slight DX11 in exchanged for lower quality graphics. Now they are aiming for the stars and consoles will scale to it. 

If only crytek remember this was like them before, aiming high and everything else be damned. Instead of constantly selling out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.