Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

I Think People Are Expecting This Game To Be Something It's Not

• 86 results
    N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By N7

@allworkandlowpay said:

@N7 said:

If it's anything like Bad Company 2, it will have three things: Snipers everywhere, a constant stream of spawn-camping and everyone will camp the vehicles, whilst the enemy team whoop our ass because I'm the only one who's actually trying to make an effort.

It was like I was my own worst enemy during my time with Bad Company 2. I was always put on the jerkass team and never the good teams.

Sometimes I just think that Battlefield isn't meant for me.

Sounds like every battlefield game I've ever played (all of them.)

I remember people putting anti-tank mines down on our own aircraft carriers in BF1942 just to make sure nobody but they would be allowed to fly. Usually half the team was there killing eachother on the carrier over the planes, while the rest of the team sniped from a distance at positions already taken long ago. Occasionally a medic or engineer would actually be on the frontlines fighting, but those were rare times indeed.

Well that's not good at all.

I really want to get Battlefield 3 because so far, the single-player looks amazing, but after what I went through with BF2, I don't think I really want to. I tried to play the game, but I was always put on really bad teams against the most MLG players I've ever seen. Call me crazy, but I'm not really into a game where you pretty much are forced to play with a huge group of people. That's why I stick with COD. No matter what happens, I don't NEED to have a group of friends to play with me in fear of douchebag teammates or huge amounts of campers.

I really want to get BF3 because it's something new, but I'll just have to see how it turns out first, because after hearing all about the jank from the other games, and seeing it first hand in BC2, I don't want to waste my very limited money on something I'll end up not liking.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By valrog

People are misguided and will be disappointed.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#53  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Mahonay said:

@VictoryBlixt said:

@Mahonay said:

Definitely being over-hyped but at the same time there is a likely a large segment of Call of Duty console players that have never played a Battlefield game. This will feel like an entirely fresh and new experience to those people.

The thing about people ruining the game on consoles by playing it like a death match game? Quite the opposite I think will happen. From my experience of BF:BC2 on the 360 is that those people get clobbered round after round. They might have a bunch of kills but their team is being walloped. If they want to hand me wins I'm fine with that.

not when the 11 snipers are on your team ha

Hah well this is true. Luckily I don't play Battlefield with out a squad.

Again, something i blame the consoles for. 

PC Battlefield has always been 64 players. when you have 32 people on your team, having 11 snipers was never a problem. We always had plenty of people and PLENTY OF SPACE for snipers to not be hated, but found "cute" 
    Because of fuck company 2 and its console focus, the player count had to be dropped and now the recon class has become a big pain in the ass, a game breaker that turns the game into team deathmatch  
    Battlefield 3, even though it has 64 players and supposedly big maps, will also have this general notion that snipers suck... poor snipers, man.

Proof that these complex games have no place on a console, and that includingconsoles in the mix always results in damage to design and assets.
    Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
    deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@N7: Unfortunately, N7, Battlefield has been and likely always will be a rather niche game. It has a specific appeal that serves an itch, but only if its the type of itch you need scratch. I'd say if you tried some of the previous games and couldn't quite get into it, it's multiplayer is likely not for you.

As for it's singleplayer? I probably wouldn't drop 60 bucks to see it. DICE are not singleplayer developers, and its doubtful the story, cinematics and level design are going to be all that interesting. I'd stick with COD.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I was hoping this game had a little more depth then the CoD ones.

That is, until I saw the co op thing yesterday.
    American cowboys, yeehaaw, get the fuck out.

Avatar image for nomorehalfmeasuresdoctor
    nomorehalfmeasuresdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Sign said:

What confuses me more than anything (and I see it more on reddit /r/gaming than here) is the people praying for this game to kill CoD while at the same time bashing CoD players. What I don't think these people realize is if BF3 does in fact dethrone CoD than all those people that play CoD are going to come over to BF3. Is that what they really want to happen? Do you really want the people you so actively mock and detest to move over to the game you are playing?

This made me laugh out loud. Common sense, you sir have it. The reddit gaming section not so much it seems.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#57  Edited By N7

@allworkandlowpay: Thanks for the tips. :)

Luckily though, my uncle is getting the game and I'll be able to play it either way. But I can definitely see what you mean by it being a niche game.

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#58  Edited By Twisted_Scot
    @Ahmad_Metallic: I was a big fan of BF 1942 up to 2142 and also played some BC and BC2 and while I agree that for me the Snipers ruined the BC MP games I cant say that it's because it came out on consoles. I don't mind if people camp / snipe it was for me that the class with its unlock was overpowered. They could sit on a hill with a motion sensor and then call in air-strikes while using the huge orange arrows. That (as well as other things form other classes) I felt de-valued the team work aspect that made BF2 what it was.  Instead of them giving such powerful unlocks I would have liked to seen more tool based unlocks like the grapple rope or flying fox stuff from the BF2 Spec ops expansion.
    Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Clonedzero

i dont really see this as some amazing glorious game or anything. it just looks like a pretty awesome shooter is all.

also i dont we need to be "saved" from call of duty, while ive grown tired of its very specific style of play, it doesnt make it bad. lots of people like it, thats not a bad thing.

anyhow. BF3 looks to me, like BF2 and BC2 had some sort of incest love child and make BF3. this really oddly attractive inbred baby will have features from both of its parents. it'll look real great, but obviously it'll have its flaws just like every other game. i'm looking forward to it, but theres other games out there too.

Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#60  Edited By Evilmetal

It's been said the console version would be less than the PC version, yet they both retain the same name. I think it's a crafty choice, to use the same name, because console players, who's possibly only experience with the Battlefield world was BC1,  and/or BC2 and/or BF2:MC, will have a different expectation to gaming than players who have been a part of the Battlefield game since 1942. So all of a sudden one person, who's background may be of only PC, will get into a conversation/argument online with a person who's experience is from console; yet both parties won't necessarily know the backgrounds of each other.

This creates a situation where some people's thoughts can be changed by someone with a different background.... I don't know if I explained it well, but I'm sure if you think about it you may be able to see the angle.

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

I was hoping this game had a little more depth then the CoD ones.  That is, until I saw the co op thing yesterday. American cowboys, yeehaaw, get the fuck out.
    The co-op was funny, I thought. Here they are talking about 'let's do this in a stealthy way', they break out the silenced pistols. "Hey you take the guy on the left" ... "DERP DERP... OTAY!!!" ... "PEW, PEW". Then all of a sudden the in-game character starts yelling expletives! HAHA. The stupid in-game automatic voice overs. I laughed because why would you shout? so the enemy can hear you? The enemy can't hear voice? So silly.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#61  Edited By Seppli
    @Evilmetal

Because soldiers usually are overgrown boys with guns and explosives and other toys - and are up for some killing. Ever watched a youtube video from Afghanistan or Iraq? Yeah - expletives are common when under fire.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Seppli
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:

I was hoping this game had a little more depth then the CoD ones.  That is, until I saw the co op thing yesterday. American cowboys, yeehaaw, get the fuck out.

So having a 'bad attitude' does negate depth somehow?

Each and every kit and vehicle and gun and gadget has more depth to it than most other action games have in their entirety. You don't actually believe that being an 'ace' pilot will be easy?

What a shallow assessment.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#63  Edited By mikemcn

@FourWude said:

@Napalm said:
    I think I'm going to laugh when this gets four stars, and everybody starts crying heresy. I'm of the mind that modern military first-person shooters are on their way out.

8.8.... Gerstmann still has cold sweats to this day...

Never Forget. Where were you.

I didn't know what you were talking about, then I googled it, wow people are idiots, and the wolf sections of that game were so bad it should have gotten a way lower score.

Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Evilmetal
    @Seppli
    no, no no... you missed the point. You're going to make me pull up the video... Look when they have to shoot the first camera. The other character whispers about taking out the camera. When the main guy takes the camera out, the other character screams "He can't move, I've got him pinned down!" . <<------- WTF? he shouts it too. Isn't this supposed to be silence? sneak around like in MGS? These voice overs remove immersion. Then Karl Magnus says "The guy really don't like cameras, apparently" .  And there are more examples later on of how the voice overs are out of control.

If they wanted to do what they did, they need more coding logic. Shouldn't be do difficult, Star Wars Dark Forces employed it. When there is active shooting and you have been spotted by enemies and/or are engaging enemies, the music is faster. When you are undetected and little to no action, the music plays slow.  Shout when actively engaging many enemies in out of control situation, silence/radio communications when doing things in stealth.
    Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Dude that 64 player trailer was what i was waiting for, completely sold I will still hire COD for my annual 5 hour Micheal Bay movie

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Seppli
    @Evilmetal said:
    @Seppli:  no, no no... you missed the point. You're going to make me pull up the video... Look when they have to shoot the first camera. The other character whispers about taking out the camera. When the main guy takes the camera out, the other character screams "He can't move, I've got him pinned down!" . <<------- WTF? he shouts it too. Isn't this supposed to be silence? sneak around like in MGS? These voice overs remove immersion. Then Karl Magnus says "The guy really don't like cameras, apparently" .  And there are more examples later on of how the voice overs are out of control.  If they wanted to do what they did, they need more coding logic. Shouldn't be do difficult, Star Wars Dark Forces employed it. When there is active shooting and you have been spotted by enemies and/or are engaging enemies, the music is faster. When you are undetected and little to no action, the music plays slow.  Shout when actively engaging many enemies in out of control situation, silence/radio communications when doing things in stealth.
    Work in progress obviously. Evidently bugs. The last line of VO has been recorded today. There also was a crosshair bug. The LMG had oddly scaled shotgun crosshair. And so forth.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Slaker117

While I believe that BF3 will be a finely executed game, the idea that some people seem to have that it will roll out and kill CoD is ridiculous. The amount of times I've seen it used as a excuse to be hostile to the franchise for no good reason kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Seppli said:
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:

So having a 'bad attitude' does negate depth somehow?  Each and every kit and vehicle and gun and gadget has more depth to it than most other action games have in their entirety. You don't actually believe that being an 'ace' pilot will be easy?  What a shallow assessment.
    I'll wait till I can play the game till I make such claims as you do.
    Battlefield is supposed to be quite realistic no? At least away from the american cowboy yeehaw specc ops bullshit other games pull.
    I had high hopes for some surgical army missions but all the yelling and swearing for no goddamn reason just ticks me off.

I mean, he silently shoots a guy who never knew what hit him and then yells: IS THAT ALL YOU GOT?
    Right, no thanks.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    @Seppli said:
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:

So having a 'bad attitude' does negate depth somehow?  Each and every kit and vehicle and gun and gadget has more depth to it than most other action games have in their entirety. You don't actually believe that being an 'ace' pilot will be easy?  What a shallow assessment.
    I'll wait till I can play the game till I make such claims as you do. Battlefield is supposed to be quite realistic no? At least away from the american cowboy yeehaw specc ops bullshit other games pull. I had high hopes for some surgical army missions but all the yelling and swearing for no goddamn reason just ticks me off.  I mean, he silently shoots a guy who never knew what hit him and then yells: IS THAT ALL YOU GOT? Right, no thanks.
    First of all, Battlefield was never about realism. 
    It's more about fun and balance, so don't expect anything too realistic. 

And secondly, one of my few remaining gripes with the game is those ridiculous autotriggered VO shouts, I agree. Most fans think they're extremely stupid (in multiplayer), abd especially in this co-op case where it's supposed to be a stealth mission
    I conversed with the VO director on twitter and he said that during the polish phases, they'll adjust those VO files so that they don't contradict with the context. 

Still, i wonder how bad VO control during a co-op mission makes you completely dismiss a video game that is mainly about a refined vehicular combat multiplayer experience and an authentic-feeling single player campaign?
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Seppli
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@Seppli said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

I'll wait till I can play the game till I make such claims as you do. Battlefield is supposed to be quite realistic no? At least away from the american cowboy yeehaw specc ops bullshit other games pull. I had high hopes for some surgical army missions but all the yelling and swearing for no goddamn reason just ticks me off.  I mean, he silently shoots a guy who never knew what hit him and then yells: IS THAT ALL YOU GOT? Right, no thanks.
    First of all, Battlefield was never about realism. 
    It's more about fun and balance, so don't expect anything too realistic. 

And secondly, one of my few remaining gripes with the game is those ridiculous autotriggered VO shouts, I agree. Most fans think they're extremely stupid (in multiplayer), abd especially in this co-op case where it's supposed to be a stealth mission. I conversed with the VO director on twitter and he said that during the polish phases, they'll adjust those VO files so that they don't contradict with the context.  Still, i wonder how bad VO control during a co-op mission makes you completely dismiss a video game that is mainly about a refined vehicular combat multiplayer experience and an authentic-feeling single player campaign?
    DICE (and everybody else who wants to be AAA) does what Naughty Dog did with Nathan Drake & Co. in Uncharted 2. AI-triggered VO banter is extremely awesome when done right. Even what little of that was in BF:BC 2 was often quite awesome and has saved my life many times. Obviously the VO banter implementation is currently far from being polished, but it will be somewhat better at release. I want the AI-triggered VO banter. DICE would be stupid not to work this stuff into BF3 and develop the skill and tech to do so even better in future games. It is a step-up from BF:BC 2 and it will only get better.

That is if you aren't some whiney old veteran who wants games without gameplay relevant presentation like blinding lighting effects or AI-banter giving away your position (of those there are quite a few on the official EA UK BF forums indeed).
    FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#71  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

People seem to froth at the mouth whenever a new battlefield is coming out.  Why would they stop now?
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ahmad_Metallic
    Excuse me, but I never dismissed the entire game.
    Its still on my to buy list, I bought CoD Black Ops too for example.
    I was just saying I see no place for these silly vo's.
    But hey, thanks for the update on it.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    @Ahmad_Metallic:  Excuse me, but I never dismissed the entire game. Its still on my to buy list
    Good, looking forward to jet bombing you to hell ;) 

But hey, thanks for the update on it.
    That's what i'm here for!
    VictoryBlixt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By VictoryBlixt

I think that the PC crowd is expecting this to be BF2: 2 and it doesn't seem it will be that. It seems it going to be a continuation of the series as a whole and not just a continuation of the the numbered games in the series.

VictoryBlixt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By VictoryBlixt
    @Seppli: well if you go to this link, http://www.examiner.com/video-game-in-national/battlefield-3-ps3-performing-better-than-360, then you will see that currently the PS3 is outperforming the  Xbox
    RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#76  Edited By RIDEBIRD

I expect it to be the best team based shooter since BF2142 (yes, I prefer 2142). After the Caspian Border trailer and from playing the alpha, I really have absolutely no doubt - DICE will knock this out of the park. But people are getting excited as well because this is the first next-gen game (I expect a little bit above BF3-fidelity on next-gen release games) - on PC that is. It's a quite big leap forward graphically that will actually require an upgrade, and the sheer scope of the maps is crazy. It's a shooter that's breaking new ground and is tearing down some barriers, even though the majority of these are purely technical, it's still a leap forward.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Scrawnto

I am expecting a sequel to Battlefield 2 that incorporates some technological innovations from the Bad Company games. So far, that is what I have seen, and that is why I am excited. The maps look big and pretty. The destruction looks nice. Sounds like there will be tons of unlocks, which I am down for. Unlike some purists, I actually really liked BC2, though I never played the first Bad Company. Even so, I am really looking forward to a return to 64 player combat in the Battlefield tradition.

I really couldn't care less about the CoD vs. Battlefield fandom war. CoD 4 was a great game, but I kind of lost interest after that. I don't have any problem with other people liking that series.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By FourWude
    @Mikemcn said:

@FourWude said:

@Napalm said:
    I think I'm going to laugh when this gets four stars, and everybody starts crying heresy. I'm of the mind that modern military first-person shooters are on their way out.

8.8.... Gerstmann still has cold sweats to this day...

Never Forget. Where were you.

I didn't know what you were talking about, then I googled it, wow people are idiots, and the wolf sections of that game were so bad it should have gotten a way lower score.

I don't know what results Google brought to you, but there were serious death threats sent to Jeff Gerstmann. People account suicided on Gamespot, forums blew up. All manner of shouting, profanities, it was absolute mass carnage. Most of it coming from the mild mannered Nintendo lovers.... which just made the whole affair even more ludicrous.
    Zedap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Zedap
    @VictoryBlixt:  I agree, it looks really good but it seems to me that the infantry side of BF3 isnt as good as the rest of the BF games. I dont really know why but im not expecting this to be a 5 start game, it seems like BF3 has lost some of its style and in my opinion some parts of it looks slightly similar to MoH.
    JuggertrainUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#80  Edited By JuggertrainUK

I am really looking forward to this game but i think alot of people got seriously hyped just because the game looks great and then automatically assumed the gameplay would be amazing also. Regardless of how good it is, at the end of the day its still just another modern day shooter. I also still think Call of Duty is a very well made series, but it has got so popular that some people are starting to hate it for no good reason and are now rallying behind battlefield to take it off its throne.
    Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Funkydupe
    @JuggertrainUK said:
    I am really looking forward to this game but i think alot of people got seriously hyped just because the game looks great and then automatically assumed the gameplay would be amazing also. Regardless of how good it is, at the end of the day its still just another modern day shooter. I also still think Call of Duty is a very well made series, but it has got so popular that some people are starting to hate it for no good reason and are now rallying behind battlefield to take it off its throne.
    Well. Its pretty amazing that video gamers can't just allow both games some success. Playing both games is an option, you know.
    ethan_raiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#82  Edited By ethan_raiden

I don't want to discuss how I feel about a game that isn't out yet, I just wanted to let you know that I love the use of capital letters at the beginning of each word.

khopps17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By khopps17

Nobody should be expecting something new... Just a refined well made battlefield experience. I've not seen any testimonials to bring anything new... Besides, something doesn't need to be new, to be good or fun.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By jmrwacko

Nope, game will be the savior of all mankind.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @jmrwacko said:
    Nope, game will be the savior of all mankind.
    Inorite?
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By jmrwacko

But honestly, I haven't played a game like BF2 since BF2. If BF3 is BF2 with better graphics and a full-fledged singleplayer campaign, it's basically an auto GOTY nomination.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.