Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Perhaps this will put some peoples minds at rest....

mr_ace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mr_ace

All the forums I read about this game are full of people complaining about how this isn't really a beta, it's a demo, and is shitty. Well, i like the beta anyway, but dice have come out to say that this is an older build of the game, and is about stress testing servers, not demoing the game:

http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/battlefield_bad_company/archive/2011/10/03/battlefield-3-open-beta-update-2.aspx

so maybe some people will stop getting so upset

EDIT: Also, here's some other interesting reads:

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/devblog/

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @mr_ace said:

so maybe some people will stop getting so upset

No... no.
    DragonNinja789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By DragonNinja789

I dont know man and I don't really care lol.

I'm looooving the Beta so far. I think Dice has nailed the realism so far.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By Evilsbane

I have been having fun with the beta, I really want to get out of metro and play Caspian Border but I am looking forward to this game, it controls amazingly well and feels solid and it looks AMAZING!

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By lead_farmer

Do folks still fall "into the world?" That was the only thing that I had repeated problems with.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Three0neFive
    @lead_farmer said:

Do folks still fall "into the world?" That was the only thing that I had repeated problems with.

It was really frequent in the few hours I played of the PS3 version, but I've played almost 10 hours of the PC version and have literally never run into that problem, so I dunno.

I'm no expert, but I think it has to do with the terrain detail settings on the console versions.
    DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DonPixel

@mr_ace said:

EDIT: Also, here's some other interesting reads:

You mean people can read and get informed before spitting bullshit bitching on the internet?

OMFG you're out of your mind dude!

Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
    deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People are going to hate on Battlefield 3 because it's the in thing to do. BF2 fanboys hate it because they hyped themselves up for far too long, and the COD fanboys are flaming the fire because they feel threatened by another Fall shooter for some reason. Nothing you can do will change that, no logic in the world will stop it. Just ignore it, shut it out, pay your $60 clams when the game comes out and enjoy it.

Battlefield 3 is the new Obama.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Slaker117
    @Three0neFive said:
    @lead_farmer said:

It was really frequent in the few hours I played of the PS3 version, but I've played almost 10 hours of the PC version and have literally never run into that problem, so I dunno.  I'm no expert, but I think it has to do with the terrain detail settings on the console versions.
    I don't know if it's as frequent, but it is definitely present in the PC version.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Evilsbane

@rebgav said:

@allworkandlowpay said:

Nah, BF3 will deliver eventually.

LoL Burn.

mr_ace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mr_ace

@Evilsbane: this shit's getting political

EmuLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By EmuLeader

@allworkandlowpay said:

... BF2 fanboys hate it because they hyped themselves up for far too long...

For the fans of BF2, they should check out footage of Caspian Border, which people have said is just what they want. I've never played BF2 so I can't say, but someone posted a video by TotalBicuit on that map, and it sounds like its amazing:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@EmuLeader: NO ... Noooo! Do not try to reason with them. Just move on. No video in the world will bring them on board with BF3.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Subjugation

"Beta is beta."

"Naw man, it's a glorified demo derp!"

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Branthog

I don't feel sorry for the developers. The ignorance and stupidity of so much of the userbase is off-putting, but they put themselves in this situation. They commoditized the beta process by making it a reward for buying other games or pre-ordering the game, itself. You can't treat it as something other than a beta when it's convenient for you and then get pissy over people not treating it like a beta when you decided that it is a beta, again.

In my line of work, our beta products are never something that is provided as some reward. Our beta product is something we approach some customers about and negotiate a process based on our needs and their willingness to work with us to improve the product before release, so that it addresses the things they car about (and should be representative of much of the rest of our customer base). We appreciate their assistance. We rely on it. We don't make beta a bonus tied onto another product or otherwise turned into commodity or reward.

As for the beta, itself. I got my fill during alpha and I could only tolerate so many full games that disconnected at the very last second (after the game ended), and never rewarded me my points or other stats. So I'm done, until the final release. I don't have any demand or expectation that it should be behaving better (again . . . beta). I just don't have the time or stamina to put into this same map another five hundred times - a fifth of which won't even count. Glad that many do. I'm going to spend my time working with my landscapers to get some final work done on my property before winter comes, instead. :)

Zatoichi_Sanjuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Zatoichi_Sanjuro

@allworkandlowpay said:

People are going to hate on Battlefield 3 because it's the in thing to do. BF2 fanboys hate it because they hyped themselves up for far too long, and the COD fanboys are flaming the fire because they feel threatened by another Fall shooter for some reason. Nothing you can do will change that, no logic in the world will stop it. Just ignore it, shut it out, pay your $60 clams when the game comes out and enjoy it.

You ruined your argument with your own analogy.

Obama, even with a majority, failed to deliver on many of his campaign promises. When even George Bush is more successful at getting Republican legislation passed, you know Obama is a lame duck.

Ever since they announced the sequel to BF2 would be multiplat, it's been a series of disappointments, and awful marketing, from DICE/EA. This "beta" is just another one of those disappointments. You don't market a sequel to BF2 with a small; sectioned-off map, in Rush mode, with 32 players max, and no vehicles.

insert <It's just a beta! It's released! They'll patch it! .jpeg> here

btw, I like some of what I've seen in the demo, and I still haven't given up hope that there will be 64player conquest maps for all the maps, but EA/DICE don't make it easy to keep the faith.

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Twisted_Scot
    @Evilsbane said:

@rebgav said:

@allworkandlowpay said:

LoL Burn.

At least until the public vote to remove medics from the classes.
    selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By selbie

@Twisted_Scot: But, but..... the free healthcare!

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ravenlight

@random13yearoldontheinternet

wat is bata lol how i tebag ur fag

Do not attempt to reason with this crowd.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Zatoichi_Sanjuro said:

@allworkandlowpay said:

Obama, even with a majority, failed to deliver on many of his campaign promises. When even George Bush is more successful at getting Republican legislation passed, you know Obama is a lame duck.

Ever since they announced the sequel to BF2 would be multiplat, it's been a series of disappointments, and awful marketing, from DICE/EA. This "beta" is just another one of those disappointments. You don't market a sequel to BF2 with a small; sectioned-off map, in Rush mode, with 32 players max, and no vehicles.

btw, I like some of what I've seen in the demo, and I still haven't given up hope that there will be 64player conquest maps for all the maps, but EA/DICE don't make it easy to keep the faith.

I figured my analogy would make sense paired with my original statement, but since it flew over your head, I'll spell it out, and slowly.

Battlefield 3 is the new Obama because regardless of what it/he does, a large segment of both its/his disenfranchised fan-base/constituents and opponents will hate it/him.

Has nothing to do with failing to deliver, its about it being the cool to direct their ire at.

Zatoichi_Sanjuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Zatoichi_Sanjuro

@allworkandlowpay said:

@Zatoichi_Sanjuro said:

@allworkandlowpay said:

I figured my analogy would make sense paired with my original statement, but since it flew over your head, I'll spell it out, and slowly.

Battlefield 3 is the new Obama because regardless of what it/he does, a large segment of both its/his disenfranchised fan-base/constituents and opponents will hate it/him.

Has nothing to do with failing to deliver, its about it being the cool to direct their ire at.

No, the first thing you mentioned was BF2 fanboys "hyped themselves up for far too long". The disappointment coming from them has nothing to do with unrealistic expectations. Just like Obama, DICE have made a lot of "promises" about what they will deliver with BF2. Obama's rhetoric turned out to be empty. DICE's rhetoric is, with the reasons I point out in my above post, looking dubious.You're just trying to wash away criticism behind your own illogical assumptions of 'they only hate it because it cool to hate it'.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Zatoichi_Sanjuro said:

@allworkandlowpay said:

@Zatoichi_Sanjuro said:

@allworkandlowpay said:

No, the first thing you mentioned was BF2 fanboys "hyped themselves up for far too long". The disappointment coming from them has nothing to do with unrealistic expectations. Just like Obama, DICE have made a lot of "promises" about what they will deliver with BF2. Obama's rhetoric turned out to be empty. DICE's rhetoric is, with the reasons I point out in my above post, looking dubious.You're just trying to wash away criticism behind your own illogical assumptions of 'they only hate it because it cool to hate it'.

BF2 fanboys hyped themselves up for far too long because they had unreasonable expectations, because they expected it to be a HD BF2. This is reality, face it or walk away, that's your choice. Look at yourself, you can't even help but make the Freudian slip and call BF3 BF2 in your own second sentence. I'm not the one washing away anything.

Now get off my lawn.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
    @Evilsbane said:

@rebgav said:

@allworkandlowpay said:

LoL Burn.

Correction, sick burn!
    Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Cloudenvy

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@Evilsbane said:

@rebgav said:

@allworkandlowpay said:

LoL Burn.

Correction, sick burn!

Hella rad burn!

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By AlexW00d

@DragonNinja789 said:

I dont know man and I don't really care lol.

I'm looooving the Beta so far. I think Dice has nailed the realism so far.

What realism?

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
    @Cloudenvy said:

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@Evilsbane said:

@rebgav said:

@allworkandlowpay said:

LoL Burn.

Correction, sick burn!

Hella rad burn!

Really, the only possible reaction to the burn was

ze_ro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ze_ro

@EmuLeader said:

@allworkandlowpay said:

For the fans of BF2, they should check out footage of Caspian Border, which people have said is just what they want. I've never played BF2 so I can't say, but someone posted a video by TotalBicuit on that map, and it sounds like its amazing:

I will have a great time with BF3,

that said, I still really kinda would've wanted to see artillery, supply- and vehicledrops make a comeback, and going thru the list of vehicles ... no blackhawk :o ? I am disappoint.

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By awe_stuck

@allworkandlowpay said:

Most kids never played Battlefield 2. They dont know BF2 is still a much better game then MW2. MW2 itself is in fact similar to BF2 and CS Source as well as predating CoD games. The fact is you get kills you get a killstreak, in BF2 you fly away, and a sniper says gn ;)

Seriously, BF2 was a HUGE game back in the day (you know 50 years ago). Bad Company was an attempt to make a good single player game (kinda B movieish), the multiplayer was added on to sell the game. BC2 had good multiplayer, in contrast to BF2 though. BF2 was about real war, BC2 was more about skirmishes. When PC users think of BF3 they think of BF2 and not the similarities to BC2. Consoles users shove their heads in inappropriate places and pretend they know what a beta. And, when you tell them about google and how it works, their heads explode. Thats about a 20 second statement.

BF3 isnt the new Obama, thats MW3. BF3 is the new BF and its AWESOMEE SOKERKOSMAEOFMFOSFO :D

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By Sooty

I already knew this was an old version of the game because I'm not an idiot.

Zatoichi_Sanjuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Zatoichi_Sanjuro

@allworkandlowpay said:

BF2 fanboys hyped themselves up for far too long because they had unreasonable expectations, because they expected it to be a HD BF2. This is reality, face it or walk away, that's your choice. Look at yourself, you can't even help but make the Freudian slip and call BF3 BF2 in your own second sentence. I'm not the one washing away anything.

Now get off my lawn.

At the very least they want it to be a HD BF2. What's the point in even calling it BF3 if they're just going to do away with everything that made BF2 ground-breaking? It's not unreasonable to expect a sequel to improve upon the original.

All we can do is base our opinions on what DICE have put out there to promote BF3: Op Metro/Rush mode. And that map, and game mode, in no way improves upon BF2. It doesn't even have any vehicles! And you claim criticism of that is just 'BF2 fanboys hating something because it makes them cool'.

That's as ridiculous as you owning a lawn.

If they open Caspian up again, show some mp footage of other maps, then people won't be so harsh.

TEHMAXXORZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TEHMAXXORZ

My mind! It's still restless!

shhetghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By shhetghost

Obama, giant bomb, battlefield. how many more keywords have to be mentioned before the feds get involved

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By thehexeditor

@shhetghost said:

Obama, giant bomb, battlefield. how many more keywords have to be mentioned before the feds get involved

naked, cartoon, pussy

mr_ace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mr_ace

@shhetghost said:

taliban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Zatoichi_Sanjuro said:

@allworkandlowpay said:

Now get off my lawn.

At the very least they want it to be a HD BF2. What's the point in even calling it BF3 if they're just going to do away with everything that made BF2 ground-breaking? It's not unreasonable to expect a sequel to improve upon the original.

All we can do is base our opinions on what DICE have put out there to promote BF3: Op Metro/Rush mode. And that map, and game mode, in no way improves upon BF2. It doesn't even have any vehicles! And you claim criticism of that is just 'BF2 fanboys hating something because it makes them cool'.

That's as ridiculous as you owning a lawn.

If they open Caspian up again, show some mp footage of other maps, then people won't be so harsh.

Ah-ha, that's what it is. Your one of the crazy butt-hurt BF2 fanboys. Explains it.

Also, get off my lawn.

Mikewrestler5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Mikewrestler5

People are still playing that beta? I deleted that trash after the first day I downloaded it.

bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By bwmcmaste

@allworkandlowpay said:

BF2 fanboys hyped themselves up for far too long because they had unreasonable expectations, because they expected it to be a HD BF2.

Yes, this is the correct summary of this whole issue. I will happily set this whole matter right by declaring that BF2 was not, in fact, as good as people thought that it was, and that the Bad Company sequels were the highest point in the series since BF1942.

BF3 appears to be one of those strange-brew sequels, which will disenfranchise some, and please many others. If there truly exists any "BF2 purist," then I would argue that such individuals are of a vestigial minority, and are thus not relevant to any future discussions of the franchise. Besides, if EA/Dice was really going to trouble with a remake, why would they not remake the original game (which is far more deserving of such treatment in every respect)?

Zatoichi_Sanjuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Zatoichi_Sanjuro

@bwmcmaste said:

@allworkandlowpay said:

BF2 fanboys hyped themselves up for far too long because they had unreasonable expectations, because they expected it to be a HD BF2.

Yes, this is the correct summary of this whole issue. I will happily set this whole matter right by declaring that BF2 was not, in fact, as good as people thought that it was, and that the Bad Company sequels were the highest point in the series since BF1942.

BF3 appears to be one of those strange-brew sequels, which will disenfranchise some, and please many others. If there truly exists any "BF2 purist," then I would argue that such individuals are of a vestigial minority, and are thus not relevant to any future discussions of the franchise. Besides, if EA/Dice was really going to trouble with a remake, why would they not remake the original game (which is far more deserving of such treatment in every respect)?

@bwmcmaste said:

Battlefield 2 wasn't really PC-exclusive:
    No Caption Provided

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#39  Edited By MachoFantastico

@EmuLeader said:

@allworkandlowpay said:

That's all I needed to have faith in this game again, thankful that TotalBiscuit was able to get onto the server.

CounterShock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By CounterShock

Yeah it actually does serve a purpose, not just being a demo. I remember World at War had a "beta" two weeks before it shipped, I mean come on.

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By awe_stuck

Ya, but the real beta went on before that. It drove my friend insane. He hated it. All you needed was to email them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.