Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

So the retail game isn't supposed to feel like the beta at all?

defaultprophet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By defaultprophet

Well....damn. I liked the beta. The glitches sucked but it's to be expected. To change the whole feel of the weapons back to BC2-esque? That's kinda messed up.

WiqidBritt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By WiqidBritt

I don't think they said anything about changing the way the weapons feel or anything like that.

skyline7284

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By skyline7284

@WiqidBritt: From Joystiq's Preview Article: (Found here)

There are major gameplay balance differences between the two. Weapons feel different, with different fire rates and recoil. And the damage model has been radically shifted. Death comes quickly in the beta, situated more towards Call of Duty's durability, or even last year's DICE-developed Medal of Honor multiplayer. Firefights in the beta prioritize reflexes over tactics, which is a departure from Bad Company 2.
    This is not the case with Battlefield 3 as it is now. The version of Battlefield 3 that I spent hours playing last week has weapons and damage that feel like Battlefield Bad Company 2. This, if you aren't sure, is a good thing. It changes the dynamics of firefights, allowing for each side to take and hold positions, and making flanking and tactical coordination much more viable. The increased player survivability also make vehicles in Battlefield 3 more fair than they would be with the beta's damage models.
    WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By WickedCobra03

One, that is not a good thing if Battlefield 3 plays like Bad Company 2... that would essentially make this a Bad Company game without the characters in single player. This is NOT a mainline battlefield series, so naming it one was a mistake and a misstep!

Now onto the my 2nd point... sure this game may feel better, but should DICE/EA really still be pushing it out the door to customers? If you can give me an unequivocal yes, fine, but I happen to think that you may have some doubts yourself on how ready this game is. This slightly negative view by me is not because of the beta really either, but when since they started showing the game did it ever look like it was actually "ready" or in a super stable state? Never is the answer.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By mosdl

The ign videos of the 2 new maps looked good, no weird color flashes, squad ui, etc.

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Twisted_Scot

Didn't like the beta much to be honest. I know its a Beta but didn't feel like a BF game (more like a BC game) to me. Thought if you wanted to let people get a sense of what was coming Operation Metro was a piss poor choice of map to use. A map with no vehicles is not a BF map. And why Rush? If they were only going to let us try 1 map it should have been a bigger map with vehicles and conquest (or conquest AND rush). The more you limit the beta the less info you can gain so it's not a case of me complaining "I didn't like the BF3 demo". My hopes are a little shaky after it all.

WiqidBritt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By WiqidBritt

@skyline7284: written by someone who was very vocal about how much he didn't like the way the game played before (he's said he was 'worried' about the game), he wanted it to play more like BC2 to begin with. DICE had said that there was a glitch where you take way more damage than they expected, especially when running, so fixing that could account for a lot of what he said.

personally I hope the rate of fire of the AEK-971 hasn't changed, that was my favorite AR in the game.

HoM3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By HoM3R

Hoping they would balance the game around 64 player conquest but seems like 24 player rush won :(

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Contro

I never expected to be floating in a Jeep shooting at Jets.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @DefaultProphet said:

Well....damn. I liked the beta. The glitches sucked but it's to be expected. To change the whole feel of the weapons back to BC2-esque? That's kinda messed up.

Hardcore mode is for you :) 

@WickedCobra03 said:

One, that is not a good thing if Battlefield 3 plays like Bad Company 2... that would essentially make this a Bad Company game without the characters in single player. This is NOT a mainline battlefield series, so naming it one was a mistake and a misstep!

How does BF3 play like BC2? They only lowered the bullet damage. In previous BF games, the damage was high yes, but the bullet deviation and bad hit detection made you spray a lot in order to kill. BF3's shooting is so spot-on that the bullet damage causes instant deaths. Lowering the damage will bring the balance back to the galaxy.
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By big_jon

That sounds great t me, but hey, if you don't like it, just play hard core .

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By Liquidus

@Twisted_Scot said:

Didn't like the beta much to be honest. I know its a Beta but didn't feel like a BF game (more like a BC game) to me. Thought if you wanted to let people get a sense of what was coming Operation Metro was a piss poor choice of map to use. A map with no vehicles is not a BF map. And why Rush? If they were only going to let us try 1 map it should have been a bigger map with vehicles and conquest (or conquest AND rush). The more you limit the beta the less info you can gain so it's not a case of me complaining "I didn't like the BF3 demo". My hopes are a little shaky after it all.

Well, I liked the Bad Company games and I hated the BF3 beta. I can excuse the glitches and bugs(although considering what some of the bugs were, it's amazing they made it this far into development) but the shooting and pacing of the game felt very much like CoD to me. It was slow and campy and punished you for playing aggressive which is exactly how I play my Battlefield. Also, having Rush mode was a mistake, I agree. I hated Rush mode before and it most certainly isn't any better here.

mr_ace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mr_ace

man i hope this isn't true, i hated the stupid amount of bullets you had to pump into someone in bad company 2 and i loved the damage in the beta

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Pinworm45

@mr_ace said:

man i hope this isn't true, i hated the stupid amount of bullets you had to pump into someone in bad company 2 and i loved the damage in the beta

The damage is going to be between what it was in the beta, and BFBC2. It'll be more like BF2 than BFBC2. Also, you can play Hardcore if it bugs you that much.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hitchenson

This can only be good. BF is not CoD.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DrPockets000

I don't much care for the CoD style of damaging. So dialing it back will make me happy.

mr_ace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mr_ace

@Pinworm45: i felt the beta damage was pretty comparable to BF2's.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By 137

until the game comes out it's going to be the speculation of crybabies that rages on.

mr_ace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mr_ace
    Zohar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Zohar

The author of that article was probably just experiencing a polished version of the game without any serious netcode and lag issues or the "shooting a running target kills him instantly" bug. Also, he could have been playing with weapons that have been tweaked and balanced since the Beta build which doesn't really mean there was a wholesale change to the damage model.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.