Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Warlord Pro +1 = Battlefield 3

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

The Lowdown on Weapon Customization

Copy 'n Paste from the official Battlefield Blog

Battleblog #8: Build your weapon of choice

We have well over 50 weapons in Battlefield 3. But each weapon in itself can be tailored to wildly differing play styles and combat roles. Read on for the full details on our deepest weapon customization ever.

Two weeks ago, we detailed the general design philosophy behind the gun play in Battlefield 3 together with Senior Designer Alan Kertz. Today, we are delving deeper into the thousands of weapon customization options you will have in the game.

Basically, each main weapon in the game has three accessory slots, where you can attach weapon accessories you have unlocked. Weapon accessory unlocks are received on a per weapon basis, meaning that the more time you spend with a particular weapon, the more options you will have to customize that weapon to fit different your combat role and play style.

A rifle in Battlefield 3 can be customized for wildly different combat roles. The carbine directly below has been equipped with a heavy barrel, bipod, and a 4X magnification combat scope. This would be ideal for a soldier who wants to engage targets at medium to long range and use suppressive fire to support his team mates.

In the picture above, the same carbine has instead been equipped with a suppressor, foregrip, and quick acquisition holographic scope. This setup would be well suited for Close Quarters Battle, especially indoors where stealth can be a vital factor.

The unlockable weapon accessories include an assortment of optics, suppressors, bipods, barrels, underslung grenade launchers, underslung shotguns, foregrips, flashlights, laser sights, and more.

While the class and model of your weapon will determine a number of basic values (like muzzle speed, energy, and fire rate), you can always modify it to tweak it towards anything from long range to close quarters combat.

So. Are you a long range sniper or a close quarters combat type of player? The neat thing is, in Battlefield 3, you can easily switch between both. With our powerful weapon customization features, there are no limits to the types of gameplay we support.

Oh yeah! Now that's design I approve of. No arbitrary limitations on customization. Unlocking gun specific attachments by using it. With a tonne of options to experiment with for every gun. Balancing by specialization for an in-game task and the drawbacks that go along with it. Just like in real life. Warlord Pro - choke on my big brazzen balls!
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Skald

Sounds great. Hope they manage to keep the guns balanced.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Three0neFive

The thought of actually having a use for a flashlight in a multiplayer shooter makes me wet.

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Dylabaloo

Sounds good, wonder how it will work in practice.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By meteora

Hell yeah, more customizability for the win.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By mikemcn

When MW2 let me put 2 attachments on a gun, my mind was blown, this is even better, unfort

@Three0neFive said:

The thought of actually having a use for a flashlight in a multiplayer shooter makes me wet.

Its what keeps me coming back to Counter Strike. I intend to have a flashlight on all guns at all times, incase shit gets dark, or for whenever im in the mood to light something up.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mikeeegeee

I wonder how easy it will be to switch the parts around. In my experience with BFBC:2 on 360, I found it somewhat clunky and time consuming to quickly alter my weapons between lives. 

For instance: Rolling as assault, if I wanted to switch scopes and attachment (smoke grenade exchanged for shotgun), I tended to fumble through the menu. The concept of loadouts will likely rub some people the wrong way, but I think I'd prefer it. Especially if there's even more variables to account for.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8  Edited By Seppli
    @mikeeegeee said:

I wonder how easy it will be to switch the parts around. In my experience with BFBC:2 on 360, I found it somewhat clunky and time consuming to quickly alter my weapons between lives.  For instance: Rolling as assault, if I wanted to switch scopes and attachment (smoke grenade exchanged for shotgun), I tended to fumble through the menu. The concept of loadouts will likely rub some people the wrong way, but I think I'd prefer it. Especially if there's even more variables to account for.

You'll take 3 vehicle specializations into the field too. Don't think there was an official blog post about it yet though. Something like 'Offensive' / 'Devensive' / 'Active'. I'm quite looking forward to that blog post.

I really need my tanks with smoke screen again. There was just too much trade-off in BF:BC 2 to roll with countermeasures. I'm still hoping countermeasures are taken out of specializations, but having 3 slots is neat nontheless - allowing for fully functional and well-rounded vehicle loadouts, rather than the somewhat crippled vehicles of BF:BC 2.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.