Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

What does Battlefield 3 have to do to compete on console?

• 54 results
    ryanmc94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By ryanmc94

I'm gonna put this out there right now. I plan on getting Battlefield 3 on PC like the majority of people who are seriously excited for this game. However consoles are where the mass market is these days. It's just easier for people to own a console because there really isn't that much incentive to own a PC. Let's face it what exclusive does a PC still have besides WOW and Starcraft? 

The call of duty franchise has always offered something for everyone. An intense single player, rather awesome coop and an addictive multiplayer. So what does BF3 have to do to compete? Pretty visuals aside there has to be something in there for the mass market. The reason so many of my friends were turned off Battlefield Bad Company 2 is because it was too hard to rank up, there was no coop (until the dlc was released), the campaign was strangely paced and their were only a handful of multiplayer modes. 

If Battlefield 3 wants to challenge Call of Duty for the FPS throne they need a big hit for singleplayer, coop and multiplayer. All I want to know is what do you think Battlefield 3 needs to add to improve apon Battlefield 2 and Battlefield Bad Company 2 to create an experience that all will enjoy? I personally think offline split-screen for console is a must...

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By RsistncE

It won't be able to. I'd argue that generally consoles have a lower barrier to entry and therefore the masses who own and play games like Call of Duty are of the...slightly more stupid variety. Those individuals cannot deal with the apparent "complexity" posed to them by games that involve anything more than running around and pulling the right trigger. It doesn't matter though either way; the game will rake in plenty of dough for EA on the PC alone and since I'll be getting it on the PC I really could give less of a shit if it doesn't do better than MW3 on the consoles.

Towers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Towers

If people want to play Battlefield they will play Battlefield and vice versa. The only people that might waiver are those on the fence and I would imagine they're only on the fence because Activision is rinse/repeating the COD franchise and they're looking for something new.

@RsistncE said:

It won't be able to. I'd argue that generally consoles have a lower barrier to entry and therefore the masses who own and play games like Call of Duty are of the...slightly more stupid variety. Those individuals cannot deal with the apparent "complexity" posed to them by games that involve anything more than running around and pulling the right trigger. It doesn't matter though either way; the game will rake in plenty of dough for EA on the PC alone and since I'll be getting it on the PC I really could give less of a shit if it doesn't do better than MW3 on the consoles.

This.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Sooty

It just needs to be a solid FPS while offering a somewhat different experience. I don't think it will eclipse Call of Duty on console but on PC Battlefield will absolutely swallow Call of Duty. Activision/IW (not sure which called the shots) have fucked PC gamers over big time. 

I'm not sure about World at War but every other Call of Duty game since 4 has been a horrible port. MW2 was an embarassment, IWNet lul. That worked out well...

It's a shame because 4 was a really good game, it was well optimised, had dedicated servers, free official maps (!!!!) and mod support.

@Ryanmc94

said:

Let's face it what exclusive does a PC still have besides WOW and Starcraft?

It has a few but a big plus of PC gaming is being able to play with superior visuals, better framerates and (usually) dedicated servers for multiplayer. Plus some games are just built better on PC. Valve and Bethesda games are two shining examples of course.
    Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

its probably going to be a good game.  unfortunately, i still think people are going to be suckered into buying Call of Duty even though its the same formula.  to be honest i thought Black Ops sales were going to falter last year but i guess i was wrong.  so i can assume that MW3 is going to do great

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By mikemcn

Well they've done everything they can to make it look like a Call of duty clone, so im sure it'll do fine. But it wont beat out MW3 on console.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By tim_the_corsair

BF3 won't beat out MW3... But, if the word of mouth is good and enough people play it, BF4 may well outsell MW13

ALMIGHTYCHEEKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By ALMIGHTYCHEEKS

it wont matter. sales aside, bf3 will be known as the better game

DaemonBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By DaemonBlack

It needs to be as accessible as COD but be fresh enough to convert the people who are getting sick of buying a new Duty game every year and having it be more of the same or just think it's becoming less "hip" But in all realism there's no way BF3 will top MW3 in console sales. But in the long term I really feel like its going to come down to how DICE handles BF3 this fall. I'm rootin' for Battlefield.

DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DAFTPUNK
    @Mikemcn: Sorry to say but it doesn't look like a call of duty clone at all, looks better, plays differently , actually teamwork!, vehicles, maps are much bigger(doesn't mean better), I am saying this from past battlefield games, no way it will be a clone.
    salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By salad10203

I think Battlefield 3 will compete but the PC is where its future lies.  If it gets anywhere near the community of Team Fortress 2 or Counter strike, it will be profitable for years to come.  And although Origin gets a lot of hate, BF3 and SW:TOR exclusivity could really ramp up EA's presence in the PC digital market.

Avatar image for deactivated-5de441812a230
    deactivated-5de441812a230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

60 FPS. Simple.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By subject2change

Mouse and Keyboard support. Stable smooth framerate. Leveling System. Perks.

Edit woot 2000th post on my Birthday!

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
    MW3 will probably outsell it more than 2:1.  I think of it like this.  The game to take down call of duty will have the "next big thing" in it.  Something akin to regenerating health, ADS, perks, or kill streaks.  I haven't heard or seen anything from BF3 that seems game changing.
    DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DAFTPUNK
    @Subject2Change: happy birthday! :)
    captaincool246

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17  Edited By captaincool246

i think accessibility is a big factor you wanna make it so that a wide variety of people can play it but at the same time not have a bunch of 12 year old(or older) COD people taking advantage of the glitches in the system and expoiting things that would make the game unenjoyable for a majority of people.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By AhmadMetallic

this thread is annoying

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Mikemcn said:

Well they've done everything they can to make it look like a Call of duty clone, so im sure it'll do fine. But it wont beat out MW3 on console.

Crazy talk. It looks nothing like CoD in any context.

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

this thread is annoying

Yes.

fuddles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By fuddles

It's been said time and time again in this thread, but they need to capture the accessibility of something like Call of Duty, or (I hate to say it) Halo, but maintain the scale and "complexity" of a Battlefield game. A game that's easily playable and enjoyable on the surface, but has a lot of meat on it's bones when you really dig in deep and try to explore all the things at your disposal. 

Revan_NL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Revan_NL

I do fear that if Battlefield 3 doesn't outsell COD (which is very likely), the excecs at EA will go bananas and will force DICE to make another COD clone. The past year various people from EA have been trying very hard to prove that they can be the same dicks as Activision, if not bigger.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By No0b0rAmA
    @Ryanmc94 said:
    Bahahahahahaha. Like every strategy game? You don't really seem to know what your talking about.
    Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Meowshi
    @No0b0rAmA said:
    @Ryanmc94 said:
    Bahahahahahaha. Like every strategy game? You don't really seem to know what your talking about.
    He probably meant exclusives that actually matter.  
    No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By No0b0rAmA
    @Meowshi: I would think there would be exclusives that would actually matter that's not FPS, like the Civilization franchise.
    Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Twisted_Scot

BF3 could be a strong contender on console if they actually give the console market the actual BF2 style gameplay instead of the campy one-man-army BS that is Bad company. The only thing that could still make that fail is the console gaming community. I'll be picking it up on Xbox (as I cant afford a new PC ATM) but I just know the MP is still going to be full of  racist, cheap kids. Ive been waiting for a proper BF experience on consoles (at least we got BF1943).

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Dylabaloo

@No0b0rAmA said:

@Meowshi: I would think there would be exclusives that would actually matter that's not FPS, like the Civilization franchise.

Civ doesn't make me want to buy a €2000 gaming pc.

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By sjupp

We're not marketing people, we're gamers. Lets just play them all and stop fighting about which one is the best etc, etc.

*gamerhippie*

edit: Really disliking the word gamer. Meh.

Solemn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Solemn

It just needs to be a solid FPS while offering a somewhat different experience. I don't think it will eclipse Call of Duty on console but on PC Battlefield will absolutely swallow Call of Duty. Activision/IW (not sure which called the shots) have fucked PC gamers over big time. 

I'm not sure about World at War but every other Call of Duty game since 4 has been a horrible port. MW2 was an embarassment, IWNet lul. That worked out well... 

It's a shame because 4 was a really good game, it was well optimised, had dedicated servers, free official maps (!!!!) and mod support.

I agree with this. I miss all those free maps that came with the patches. Now you have to pay $15 to get around five maps when four years ago they gave us more than that and you didn't need to pay a cent.  
    Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Meowshi
    @No0b0rAmA said:
    Do you honestly consider Civ 5 in the same vein as Infamous or Uncharted when it comes to selling platforms?
    No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By No0b0rAmA
    @Meowshi said:
    @No0b0rAmA said:
    Do you honestly consider Civ 5 in the same vein as Infamous or Uncharted when it comes to selling platforms?
    Good point.
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By pweidman
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@fuddles said:

It's been said time and time again in this thread, but they need to capture the accessibility of something like Call of Duty, or (I hate to say it) Halo, but maintain the scale and "complexity" of a Battlefield game. A game that's easily playable and enjoyable on the surface, but has a lot of meat on it's bones when you really dig in deep and try to explore all the things at your disposal.

That's Bad Company all over. One button for all squad messages, one button to use doors and your basic steering/flight/aiming/shooting stick and button combo. BC2 is very simple to get into.

Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Agent47
    @Ryanmc94: All those complaintents with BFBC2 just proved an early poster that the COD crowd really can't handle anything more than running and gunning.That's why the campaign is "weirdly paced" because it takes breaks in action to add dialouge and such where as COD is a nonstop rollercoaster ride.And from the rest of your comment BF3 has everything you mentioned a CO-OP campaign, more multiplayer modes.Of course BF3 is going to be even harder to level up.Because high levels provide bounses for your team.

The only thing it doesn't have that I want is splitscreen.Sadly EA is known for never implementing that.They would get more sales if they did though, I know alot of places and family where internet connections are VERY limited or non existant so they play splitscreen.I keep hearing "Oh the Frostbite 2 engine can't handle splitscreen BULLSHIT, if it can handle 24+ players online it can handle 2-4 players on splitscreen.I think they coud add like a bots feature so players could have more people.Of course DICE will do ZERO of this.
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By TheHBK
    @the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:
    its probably going to be a good game.  unfortunately, i still think people are going to be suckered into buying Call of Duty even though its the same formula.  to be honest i thought Black Ops sales were going to falter last year but i guess i was wrong.  so i can assume that MW3 is going to do great
    I wonder why so many people say it is the same formula for this game.  I mean it doesn't mean it is not true, but you could argue the same for other games.  Battlefield is basically turning out to be more and more like Bad Company with the changes they have made and less like the Battlefield 2 we know and love.  So could we not say, well Battlefield 3 is the same formula of Bad Company, just with better graphics and better characters than BC, because lets face it, those characters sucked.  Or other games too.  Gears of War 3 is the same kind of game but there might be new sequences added.  Or Skyrim, here we go, another RPG where you level up and have to save the land of Tamriel, again.  There are 3's and even 5's in these game titles because we want to play kinda the same thing again, just with new weapons or environments or a continuing story.  No one is really suckered into buying a sequel.  That only happens if the game is worse, which MW3 probably won't be.  Or more often than not, the first game was not so good but the sequel promises to be way better and then it is not. 

As for Battlefield 3, my gut tells me the real difference maker for this and MW3 is simple 60 fps.  It is what makes PC gaming so awesome and why I remember turning down details on games before when the machine wasn't up to spec to get those 60fps.  It makes a big difference for the feel of the gameplay, especially in multiplayer.  And when you bring that to consoles, people will appreciate it too.  Battlefield 3 going at 30 fps is going to be the difference.  Just running around, no shooting just moving,  will feel better in MW3 and its what people first notice.
    fuddles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By fuddles
    @SeriouslyNow said:

@fuddles said:

That's Bad Company all over. One button for all squad messages, one button to use doors and your basic steering/flight/aiming/shooting stick and button combo. BC2 is very simple to get into.

Well, I don't recall Bad Company being a bad game or anything, I'd personally be fine with the Bad Company multiplayer concept applied to a new set of equipment and rules. I think that the Call of Duty crowd is finally dying down, maybe a refreshed version of Bad Company is all that players need to make the switch over to Battlefield. 
    groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By groin

@Agent47 said:

@Ryanmc94: All those complaintents with BFBC2 just proved an early poster that the COD crowd really can't handle anything more than running and gunning.That's why the campaign is "weirdly paced" because it takes breaks in action to add dialouge and such where as COD is a nonstop rollercoaster ride.And from the rest of your comment BF3 has everything you mentioned a CO-OP campaign, more multiplayer modes.Of course BF3 is going to be even harder to level up.Because high levels provide bounses for your team. The only thing it doesn't have that I want is splitscreen.Sadly EA is known for never implementing that.They would get more sales if they did though, I know alot of places and family where internet connections are VERY limited or non existant so they play splitscreen.I keep hearing "Oh the Frostbite 2 engine can't handle splitscreen BULLSHIT, if it can handle 24+ players online it can handle 2-4 players on splitscreen.I think they coud add like a bots feature so players could have more people.Of course DICE will do ZERO of this.

"if it can handle 24+ players online it can handle 2-4 players on splitscreen" is certainly not a good assertion. Each player's console only loads and renders what that player can actually see. When you introduce splitscreen you have to load and render what every player on your console can see. In the worst case, each player can be in a different corner of the map. There can be some resource sharing with textures and sounds but the level geometry cannot be shared and those poor little consoles do not have the memory to deal with that. The game already struggles to achieve 30 fps when rendering one player's viewpoint.

The server can handle 24+ players because it only loads the collision geometry. No textures/sounds/etc are loaded on the server. The server receives data from every player, checks for collisions, determines the outcomes, then returns that data back to the clients. The server is not rendering the viewpoints of 24 players.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheHBK: im saying it feels similar because to me, MW2 and Black Ops had the same feel.  I went into Black Ops thinking it would be a bit different but i just got very bored of it because i had a feeling i already played like that already.  So after that i felt that i was suckered into it because i bought what felt like a very similar game to MW2.  the difference is that many people are willing to play a CoD game until they become familiar with every map.  more people invest hundreds of hours into the multiplayer and it can feel overplayed for most people.  ok in Bad Company 2 they sucked.  in Bad Company they were alright.  the stereotypically southern character was a bit amusing.  
    SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SlasherMan
    @Dylabaloo said:

@No0b0rAmA said:

Civ doesn't make me want to buy a €2000 gaming pc.

Who the hell buys €2000 gaming PCs?

As for the topic, while I don't see BF3 overtaking MW3 on consoles, it'll still probably have Activision sweating a bit. Ultimately, it's still a PC game (hopefully, anyway), so expect it to do its best on PC.
    Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Donos

I don't think there's anything a modern military shooter can do to take the COD audience, because they've got their shooter and have no reason to look for another one. If you want Battlefield to get that audience (which I would argue you don't, really), you need enough marketing to overcome several years of memories.

NickBOTT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By NickBOTT
    @RsistncE said:
    It won't be able to. I'd argue that generally consoles have a lower barrier to entry and therefore the masses who own and play games like Call of Duty are of the...slightly more stupid variety. Those individuals cannot deal with the apparent "complexity" posed to them by games that involve anything more than running around and pulling the right trigger. It doesn't matter though either way; the game will rake in plenty of dough for EA on the PC alone and since I'll be getting it on the PC I really could give less of a shit if it doesn't do better than MW3 on the consoles.
    This.  I think BF should just stick to what they do best and not worry about  how they could compete with COD bc in the end the game is going to sell.  Don't fix what isn't broken. 
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41  Edited By Seppli
    @Ryanmc94

Show up.

BF:BC 2 sold apparently more than 7 million copies worldwide since release and BF3's pre-orders are over 300% up from BF:BC 2. Apparently BF3 tops MW3 in pre-orders at Gamestop currently. As for mass market appeal. There will be proper and straightforward team deathmatch, the most 'mass-appeal' MP mode of all. A first for Battlefield. Why your friends don't like Battlefield? Because classic Battlefield modes such as Conquest and Rush both have more direction and real life logic to them. In Arena shooters such as Call of Duty, most maps and modes are built to create some form of controlled chaos - chaos being the skill-equalizer. Where-as classic Battlefield maps and modes are built for natural direction and allowing for high amount of control. Especially Rush mode is about frontlines and learing how to shatter an organized and fortifyied foe and push them away from the objective by brute force or infiltration or step by step in a war of attrition.

Then there's the factor of depth and mastery. More organic open maps with lots of far lines of sight and tons of vehicles add a lot of depth to the game. How to operate any given vehicle. What to do? When to do it? How do I counter a vehicle? And so forth. Imagine BF3 being on a map with an ace A-10 pilot (air to ground plane) on one team together with a good fighter jet pilot (air to air). The other team has no good pilots to balance them out from the air. Those two dudes have air superiority and rain down hell from the skies. How to deal with that threat? Carelessly engaging them from the ground is an invitation for grief. Learning when not to engage. When and where to hide and waiting for an opportunity to strike. What else to do instead of engaging in a losing battle against flyers with air superiorty. And so forth.

It's relying on 'Mastery' as a key design philosophy which makes Battlefield unique and appealing, but it's also the hump preventing new players from getting into it. With the rumored support of 'infantry only modes', this will be less of an issue.

BTW. This ain't Godzilla roaring.
    Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#42  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Just being on a console means it will sell more than the PC, no need to do anything else.

SeanTheBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SeanTheBomb

Be so simple and boring that stupid little kids can play it (*ahem* call of duty)

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@RsistncE said:

It won't be able to. I'd argue that generally consoles have a lower barrier to entry and therefore the masses who own and play games like Call of Duty are of the...slightly more stupid variety. Those individuals cannot deal with the apparent "complexity" posed to them by games that involve anything more than running around and pulling the right trigger. It doesn't matter though either way; the game will rake in plenty of dough for EA on the PC alone and since I'll be getting it on the PC I really could give less of a shit if it doesn't do better than MW3 on the consoles.

As someone who started out a console gamer, I feel totally entitled to calling you a dick. Or at least a narrow sighted idiot.

That said, the games are very very different. Even if the shooting is more like CoD, the gameplay structure is very different. I know people who HATE one but totaly adore the other. It's not quite as ridiculous as Halo vs CoD comparisons, but the overlap of the audiences isn't as big as you might think.

I'd be curious to see the sales of MW3 on PC vs Battlefield. I hope Battlefield pounds CoD into the ground on at least one platform, but I dunno at this point.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By RsistncE
    @MordeaniisChaos said:

@RsistncE said:

As someone who started out a console gamer, I feel totally entitled to calling you a dick. Or at least a narrow sighted idiot.

That said, the games are very very different. Even if the shooting is more like CoD, the gameplay structure is very different. I know people who HATE one but totaly adore the other. It's not quite as ridiculous as Halo vs CoD comparisons, but the overlap of the audiences isn't as big as you might think.

I'd be curious to see the sales of MW3 on PC vs Battlefield. I hope Battlefield pounds CoD into the ground on at least one platform, but I dunno at this point.

This is hilarious. 

Fact: the barrier to entry (in terms of money and intelligence) for PC gaming is much higher than it is for console gaming. Greater financial independence (besides those few kids whose parents will buy them a gaming PC) is usually positively correlated with greater age. In general the PC audience is composed of older more intelligent people. This conclusion is analogous to the conclusion that "generally people who buy Luxury Car A are individuals of a more wealthy variety."
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@RsistncE: No, it is analogous to those people being snobby for being rich, and as a result are more likely to insult people. You assumed they were older because they had the money to purchase a PC (which costs about $4-500, not much compared to a fully stocked 360 and a $50 a year subscription fee) and therefor more intelligent and therefore desired more complex games. There are plenty of people out there that only own a 360 and play games like Battlefield (most of which had done very well on consoles), or whatever "more advanced and mature" game you get into, but it doesn't change the fact that PC gamers aren't all that difference from console gamers. They play smaller less popular games more often? That's about it. Oh and realy really REALLY simple games like Quake and UT thrive on the PC and then go to die on consoles.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By RsistncE
    @MordeaniisChaos: You can believe what you want, but I've worked at computer speciality stores, tech stores and games stores and I can tell you right now that on average console players tend to be younger than PC players. Additionally I think you may have missed my entire point in regards to intelligence; generally most PC gamers (not including those playing browser games) build their own PC. There's a certain level of hardware savvyness required to get into PC gaming since you have to put together your own PC...unless you want to pay out the nose for a prebuilt system. Additionally you'll get a pretty average PC for $400-500...not exactly something you'll be able to run all the latest and greatest on at high settings. And even that that price is only really obtainable if you build the thing yourself, again bring up the intelligence point I mentioned in terms of barriers to entry. 

And your analogy...what is that, I don't even...
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MrKlorox

Become a fundamentally different game. Console players just aren't as into the methodical style of gameplay required to make BF play right.

MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@RsistncE: I can play Crysis at max settings (no AA) at my resolution just fine on my $500 PC. No, it won't run everything at 2560x1600 with FSAA at 60fps, but those games are MORE than playable. And games like TF2, Bad Company 2, L4D2 all run with AA and max settings over 80FPS most of the time for me. You don't need a kick ass rig to play games. People on consoles get away with graphics being sub HD, absolutely no AA, tiny draw distances, etc etc etc. I can run those games better at higher settings than a console. Your shitting yourself if you think a $500 computer isn't enough to game on.

It's not to say that, yeah, you have to be more knowledgeable about certain things to, for example, build your own PC. But I figured it out pretty much on my own when I was maybe 9 years old. It's pretty easy, everything pretty much only even looks like it fits in one place. Maybe picking out the components takes more knowledge, but it all knowledge. And having a job has nothing to do with the IQ of the person. I know idiots with $3000 PCs and I know geniuses that are looking at ivy league schools that don't own anything but a PS3 or 360 for gaming.

My point is that, yeah, there is some difference. But it's not massive. It's not like there aren't a shit ton of asshats who don't know what a fuckin Rhombus is playing Dragon Age on their $10,000 rig, nor is it like there was never an intelligent owner of a 360, or PS3. The audiences aren't identical. There is a higher barrier to entry. But most of that is just bullshit. It's not hard to get a decent PC on the cheap, it's stupid easy to find out what you should buy and how you should put it together. Knowing what goes where in a computer case isn't intelligence, it's knowledge. Yet ask half (hell, almost all...) of my PC gamer friends, and how many would know the difference between ipv4 vs 6, or how to do something as simple as force settings through your video card's drivers.

In fact, you could argue that the people who spend less time and money just to play games, because they have busy lives making a living, are more likely to be intelligent, or even educated, than the asshole sitting on an overpriced alienware piece of shit most of his day and working at McDonalds.

This is all coming from someone who greatly prefers gaming on a PC, and is planning on building a crazy awesome rig in the near future if he gets a chance, and has been building PCs since he was like 7 or 8, and would rather play a complex and 'unforgiving' game like Stalker: CoP than CoD.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By RsistncE
    @MordeaniisChaos: Fair enough. Although in the future it would probably have been better just to explain to me why you thought I was wrong instead of calling me a "narrow minded idiot"...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.