Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 4

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 29, 2013

DICE's popular multiplayer-focused shooter series continues, making its debut appearance on the PS4 and Xbox One.

Screw Origin

• 84 results
    Mike17032

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mike17032

I really want to play this game on the PC, but I want to buy it through Steam instead of having to install a 2nd service to buy games from. Not having it on Steam just to force people to use Origin is the living suck.

God damn EA for making me choose between the shitty choices of installing their awful game service that I don't want or need, and the equally shitty choice of just not buying their game.

I considered just going with the PS4 version, but I think the PC version will be better and I really don't want to reward EA for their awful practices. Steam won, just sell your games there like a normal company.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By csl316

Oh, swears in the title aren't necessary.

Edit: I wasn't offended before and I'm even less offended now!

w1n5t0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thinks swears in the title are necessary.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

'Fudge' Origin is more like it.

schreiberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By schreiberty

Origins not bad, its totally serviceable. it also takes about 2 minutes to set it up and 5 seconds to launch it every time. Get over it.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm not really hostile towards Origin as the OP seems to be, but we both share overlapping feelings about installing it on our respective PCs. I guess I'm okay with just not playing EA games. And Ubisoft games. And Homefront. Fuck Homefront.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd wait for the PS4 version, it won't be long. I'd also buy the disc. Yes I know you still deal with Origin, but more in passing rather than starting a digital download hassle. I'm getting used to this bs of social clubs, Dark souls windows requirement (which has temporary screwed me out of the game), and EA. Just the way it is.

Gotta think outside the steam box when required, though I am unhappy with GoG over an issue right now.

Steam is pretty good, I know.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Welcome to the world of competition. Not everyone shares such a narrow-minded dream of letting one-single platform control an entire space.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Sterling

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/056/364/dave-chappelle-fuck-yo-couch.gif

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having only read the thread title, I thoroughly agree.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/056/364/dave-chappelle-fuck-yo-couch.gif

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

No Caption Provided

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Origin is fine. I'd rather have a service that's relatively unintrusive and hassle-free like Origin (which, for how often I launch it/use it, it is) than a bloated piece of shit like Uplay that, even if I buy their games on Steam, still fucking launches anyway.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Yeah...

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Some competition for Steam is a good thing, even it is from EA. It keeps Steam on their toes.

Does it kinda suck that you have to have two different program? Kinda, but it's not too much of a bother. And if you really hate it that much, buy a console. Your closed system is right there and you can have all of your games on it.

Or you can stick with a more open system and accept that you might have to open more than one program to play all of your games. It's really not a big fucking deal. I could understand if Origin had proven itself to be a rotten program, but it's not. It's fine. It's not Steam, but it works without many issues.

Mike17032

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mike17032

@csl316 said:

Oh, swears in the title aren't necessary.

Sorry, I can't edit the title.

And I agree that competition is a great thing, but that's not what this is. If the game was for sale on both platforms, that would be competition. People would buy it on the one they like more. That kind of thing is good for everyone.

This is using exclusivity to force people to use their service, the exact opposite of competition. It goes into the same category as retailer specific preorder bonuses, shitty.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You could always buy it on Uplay instead :P (it's totally available there). But seriously though... relax.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Yeah its annoying, but honestly Origin is fine. Super minimal and hidden and takes a second to set up. The only drawback is the different friends list, but battlelog is a thing I suppose.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Honestly the overlay on Origin works much better (especially the web browser)

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Battlefront is coming up.

Mike17032

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Mike17032

@korwin said:

You could always buy it on Uplay instead :P (it's totally available there). But seriously though... relax.

I would rather cut my balls off with a spoon.

I guess it's reassuring to hear that Origin isn't the shit I had heard that it was, maybe I will breakdown and buy the fucking thing after Blizzcon. I just hate rewarding companies that make shitty things to customers.

schreiberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is using exclusivity to force people to use their service, the exact opposite of competition. It goes into the same category as retailer specific preorder bonuses, shitty.

Or like consoles? Platform exclusivity has been happening for decades, now its taking a different form on pc. And in this form you dont have to drop 400-600 dollars to play the exclusives. If your not going to play what is probably going to be the best version of a game just because its on origin then thats your choice, I just think its a stupid choice.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It really is a hassle to take the time opening a different client software to play a game, just like if I were to use Steam. Especially for just one game.

Mike17032

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mike17032

Ya know what, that was pretty much my reaction when I found out I couldn't get it on Steam.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Spoonman671

People are still crying about Origin?

squirrelnacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By squirrelnacho

Complaining about Origin is just tiring at this point. It works fine, and it seems like most of the bleating comes from people who haven't used it. Sure steam is great, but do you really expect a company the size of EA not to have their own system?

Complaining about exclusivity doesn't hold up. Does Origin have Half Life 2 or other games from that series?

Mike17032

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It really is a hassle to take the time opening a different client software to play a game, just like if I were to use Steam. Especially for just one game.

Having 2 clients? Not to bad.

What about 3? or 4? I don't want to have to keep track of where each game I bought is, that's why I like Steam. All my PC games are now in the same place in the same library. They work offline, and unlike other companies I trust Valve to not just shut their service off a few years from now and take my games away.

Console exclusive games are annoying too, is that really what we want the PC world to turn into? I am surprised how much people are willing to accept this, no wonder EA is willing to do it. If people are willing to let companies greed take away more and more of their choices, I guess they deserve the world of online passes, exclusive DLC, and other shitty choice killing practices they end up with.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@mike17032: profanity is not permitted in thread titles. I was going to edit it to something like "I <3 Origin" but I'll save that for some night when I'm drinking.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Welcome to 2011

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@mike17032: you could just put shortcuts on your desktop for games that aren't on Steam... it's not that hard.

and I've spent a grand total of 20 dollars on Origin but hey I guess that means I want EA to fuck me in the ass forever?

(seriously it's not a big deal, get over it )

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By GreggD

There's nothing wrong with having multiple services. I use GOG, Origin and Steam. They all have exclusives I'm interested in, and it's really, really not that big a deal navigating into them to download the games. Launching the games is as easy as making a folder on your desktop full of shortcuts to them. A few clicks, and you're playing the game you want to be playing.

LeYcH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't even have Origin open when I'm playing it.
    Install Origin and the game, install Outscome and just never have to use Origin ever again.

Mike17032

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb said:

@mike17032: profanity is not permitted in thread titles. I was going to edit it to something like "I <3 Origin" but I'll save that for some night when I'm drinking.

Thanks for the heads up on that, I will remember that for future posts. Sorry.

Avatar image for roarimadinosaur
    RoarImaDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really want to play this game on the PC, but I want to buy it through Steam instead.

Give it a chance and play Battlefield 4. It might just be worth your while. Origin is pretty competent and if you can't run both clients while in a game you need to think about upgrading soon.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb said:

Due to miscommunication, now I'm going to tell everyone about the inventor and invention of the common screw.

But really, from what I've seen, Origin isn't that bad. Sure, it's frustrating not having everything consolidated under one service, but I can't really fault EA for not wanting to give Valve any portion of sales revenue (that's how Steam works, right?). Origin is a household name, both way-back-when and today, so their strategy seems to have paid off.

U-Play, on the other hand...

Avatar image for inappropriate_touchscreen
    inappropriate_touchscreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why don't you hate Valve then, for making you install Steam when you want to just play an Origin game?

I also have Steam, Origin and GOG installed, and it's no big deal. It's like going to a pizza place and getting annoyed because they don't sell burgers; different shops sell different things.

churrific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hated Valve for making me install Steam to play their games back in the day. I still don't really like it, but I tolerate it. If I'm gonna tolerate Steam, I'll be fair and tolerate Origin too. Games > then any need to stay away from a platform/service (generally).

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not that big of a deal

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aurahack said:

Origin is fine. I'd rather have a service that's relatively unintrusive and hassle-free like Origin (which, for how often I launch it/use it, it is) than a bloated piece of shit like Uplay that, even if I buy their games on Steam, still fucking launches anyway.

^I actually dislike Uplay a lot more than Origin. Origin's fine. It may not be as robust as Steam but at the very least it's not at all awful. I just think that I find more and more people seem to lean towards the popular opinion of disliking Origin for one reason or another and I just find myself not at all disliking it to the degree that people have expressed in the forum.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#41 fisk0  Moderator

Origin isn't the issue (at least not since they dropped the EA Downloader brand, the software was downright terrible back then), Battlelog is though. Having the game launch your browser when you try to start it is so fucking dumb, and having to leave the browser open to be able to join servers is just a waste of resources that could be better spent on rendering the game. I don't get why they did it again with BF4, since they got it right with Medal of Honor: Warfighter, which had Battlelog support, but also had a built in server browser and could run entirely independently of your browser.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

eh... think your a few years late to complain... origin isn't going anywhere as long as EA exists. You already have your answer... don't buy it.

Mike17032

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zolroyce said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Steam at least half the problem with EA not selling on them anymore? Sure chances are EA might have been itching at getting their own service for a while, but I remember something about EA leaving Steam due to a rule Steam had in place and not just because they wanted to leave? In any case, really, Origin isn't that bad, you have a 360 to play 360 games, a PS3 to play PS3 games just as you have Steam to play certain games and Origin to play other games.

EA gave some lame reason about DLC, but it seemed like a thinly veiled excuse to keep their top tier games off Steam to force people onto Origin.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zolroyce said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Steam at least half the problem with EA not selling on them anymore? Sure chances are EA might have been itching at getting their own service for a while, but I remember something about EA leaving Steam due to a rule Steam had in place and not just because they wanted to leave? In any case, really, Origin isn't that bad, you have a 360 to play 360 games, a PS3 to play PS3 games just as you have Steam to play certain games and Origin to play other games.

EA gave some lame reason about DLC, but it seemed like a thinly veiled excuse to keep their top tier games off Steam to force people onto Origin.

Well, sure but you don't ever see Valve games being sold outside of Steam either but I get the frustration of not having it all on one service so you do not need to keep track of where you got certain games and in which services you bought them. I just don't get the general hate/dislike towards the service.

jArmAhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really want to play this game on the PC, but I want to buy it through Steam instead of having to install a 2nd service to buy games from. Not having it on Steam just to force people to use Origin is the living suck.

God damn EA for making me choose between the shitty choices of installing their awful game service that I don't want or need, and the equally shitty choice of just not buying their game.

I considered just going with the PS4 version, but I think the PC version will be better and I really don't want to reward EA for their awful practices. Steam won, just sell your games there like a normal company.

Hey duder, I think you're over-reacting. First of all, EA has a right to sell their games directly to customers. When small developers do this, the only reason we curse them is a lack of convenience, yet when EA does it it's suddenly evil? It makes more business sense for them to sell direct to customers when they have the ability to do so because it means smaller cuts to third parties. Don't hate on them for wanting that, it's totally reasonable. Most, if not all games would be sold independently on Publisher marketplaces if not for the issue of discover-ability. Smaller games benefit from Steam because it gets them seen a little more and it's more accessible to average consumers. Most EA games don't have that problem so only being available through their publisher isn't an issue.

Also, Origin is totally out of the way. You never have to see it beyond the moments you spend buying the game, and the "launching game" window that pops up if you click the taskbar icon for the game. Beyond that, I never see Origin. It's not intrusive at all, and there's no good reason for EA NOT to do this other than to make things convenient for you. It'd be nice, but if you look at EA's side of wanting to get as much money for their products as they can, it makes sense. And theoretically that means they can afford to invest in riskier titles and compensate devs slightly better. Buy the game on PC. It's amazing, just pin it to your taskbar and never see origin again. And calm down about Origin. It's not offensively bad software and ethically it falls well short of evil.

Elwoodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Origin is fine, its a tiny lightweight install and all your doing is launching battlelog from it. The real problem is that some people would give steam a monopoly on digital distribution rather than force them to compete with other legitimate platforms.

What about 3? or 4? I don't want to have to keep track of where each game I bought is, that's why I like Steam. All my PC games are now in the same place in the same library. They work offline, and unlike other companies I trust Valve to not just shut their service off a few years from now and take my games away.

BF4 is more or less multiplayer-only (trust me, stay as far away from that abysmal campaign as you can) and you can attach any non-steam game/program to your steam library from a button built right into steam.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#48  Edited By crithon

finally someone said it.... I'm still patiently waiting Crysis 3 and Star Wars Old Republic on steam

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some competition for Steam is a good thing, even it is from EA. It keeps Steam on their toes.

Does it kinda suck that you have to have two different program? Kinda, but it's not too much of a bother. And if you really hate it that much, buy a console. Your closed system is right there and you can have all of your games on it.

Or you can stick with a more open system and accept that you might have to open more than one program to play all of your games. It's really not a big fucking deal. I could understand if Origin had proven itself to be a rotten program, but it's not. It's fine. It's not Steam, but it works without many issues.

I agree with the sentence in bold, but I ask you: what does Origin do that Steam doesn't besides be the only place where I can buy EA games? How has Steam been forced to improve because of the threat of Origin?

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0 said:

Origin isn't the issue (at least not since they dropped the EA Downloader brand, the software was downright terrible back then), Battlelog is though. Having the game launch your browser when you try to start it is so fucking dumb, and having to leave the browser open to be able to join servers is just a waste of resources that could be better spent on rendering the game. I don't get why they did it again with BF4, since they got it right with Medal of Honor: Warfighter, which had Battlelog support, but also had a built in server browser and could run entirely independently of your browser.

I'm sorry, but if your computer can't handle the miniscule amount of resources required to keep Battlelog running in the background of BF4, you really ought to upgrade. Battlelog works just great, and it's actually helpful for when you're browsing the internet and get the sudden urge to play some Conquest. Open up a new tab, close the other ones if they're flash-intensive, and hop on a server. It's pretty effin' cool.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.