Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield Heroes

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Jun 25, 2009

Battlefield Heroes is EA DICE's casual take on the Battlefield series. It features a cartoon-like graphical style and is played from a third person perspective. It is also a "Play 4 Free" game.

No longer "play 4 free"

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By rallier

I'll miss you
    I'll miss you
    In Battlefield Heroes players rent their weapons with using the in-game currency and can also buy bandages and wrenches with it. If they so desired they could permanently by these weapons with actual money and buy XP-boost and such. People could also buy clothing for actual money that does not affect your skills making someone who does not pay for the game equal to someone who does. 

Until now it was possible to play the game and use the in game currency that you get by playing the game to pay the rent of your weapons.

However today EA/DICE decided to up the in game currency price of all the weapons and all the bandages to a point that it is impossible to afford their rent by using the ingame currency (ex a Gunner would not be able to rent his bazooka making him useless in combat) forcing players to buy weapons for real money and spend actual money on bandages giving those who pay for all of this a huge tactical advantage. 

Quite a shame that this happened, despite the bugs and the somewhat unbalanced classes i enjoyed my time playing the game but I refuse to be forced to pay for a game that i have always played for free and has always been promoted as being free to play.

Check out the BF:Heroes forums for a dose of mass anger and disbelief: http://www.battlefieldheroes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Snail

I never payed much attention to that game, I guess now it is completely pointless.

aquamooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By aquamooch

I didn't like BF:H one bit  but it must suck for the people who do.

I suspected that this was going to happen sooner or later

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Adamantium

Wow... I guess EA got pissed that not enough people were willing to give up their nickels and dimes, so they decided to make the game unplayable for those folks? Weaksauce.

Good thing I never got into this game, as F2P and microtransaction games just aren't my thing. You get what you pay for; both for good and ill.

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By rallier
    @Adamantium said:

"  Wow... I guess EA got pissed that not enough people were willing to give up their nickels and dimes, so they decided to make the game unplayable for those folks? Weaksauce.   Good thing I never got into this game, as F2P and microtransaction games just aren't my thing. You get what you pay for; both for good and ill. "

This happening is extra crazy when you consider that Ben Cousins is blaming this on the "recession" while the game is in open-beta, has plenty of problems going on and only has 5 maps so far. 
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @aquamooch said:
    " I didn't like BF:H one bit  but it must suck for the people who do."
    Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Adamantium
    @Rallier said:
    " This happening is extra crazy when you consider that Ben Cousins is blaming this on the "recession" while the game is in open-beta, has plenty of problems going on and only has 5 maps so far.  "
    Jeez for real? That's shameless.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Linkyshinks

Shameless indeed, is what EA are.  

I would rather play Quake Live anyway.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Skald

Having not charged you for the base game, I am inclined to say they don't really have an obligation to keep it free. A game that does not make money is a failure. On the other hand, it does kind of go against what they said this game would be, and that's a bit disappointing. 

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Adamantium
    @Linkyshinks said:

" Shameless indeed, is what EA are.    I would rather play Quake Live anyway. "

No doubt. I mean we all know EA is far from benevolent, though thanks to Kotick, Activision has taken the title of "Most Evil Video Game Megacoporationglomerate".

Still, I never thought EA would stoop so low as to try to build up the value of a "play for free" game (using such a notable franchise as BF) and then make it basically unplayable for those who actually tried to, you know, play for free. That's really frustrating. How can they expect the goodwill of the serious half of gamers when they pull this junk? The hardcore BFH guys will still pay, I imagine, but the casuals will simply quit without realizing just how sneaky and underhanded this is; and the "hardcore gamers" already know how messed up EA is and how they're hemorrhaging employees and studios already. It's like all EA cares about is the tiniest amount of money they can get, even while they seriously need to build their reputation. 

Man, just when I was starting to think EA was turning stuff around, they just keep trying to bend their own customer base over more and more. Makes me sad I bought DA:O, frankly.

Anyway, /rant.
    Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Alexander

It's all good, I stopped playing it after 2 weeks. It was quite novel to play for a while and the abilities offered up some degree of variety, but if you're on the PC hold out for 1943s release.

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By angelkanarias

rofl, they were announcing the game as the first one to be totally free and now they are just raping in the asses the dudes who play it.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By JoelTGM

That's a bummer.  They did a really bad job handling all that.  Just plan ahead, make a proper fair system from the start, don't one day change your mind and betray everyone.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By Karmum

Although I haven't played it in awhile, that's kind of unfortunate. Not many things stay free forever.

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By rallier

My it is even getting worse... They are introducing clothing that you can buy that cancels out enemy skills. I've never hated a company but the EA DICE combo gets really close.

SXBIG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SXBIG

Ouch that sucks.

jim_dandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jim_dandy
    @DOUBLESHOCK said:
    " That's a bummer.  They did a really bad job handling all that.  Just plan ahead, make a proper fair system from the start, don't one day change your mind and betray everyone. "
    Considering this is EA, it's possible this was planned from the start.

/tinfoilhat
    DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By DrRandle

Wartime economy, man, wartime economy.

Come on over to Team Fortress 2! It's a great time!

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By mrfizzy

I played that game for a few weeks when it was first made public. Didnt think it was much to be honest. 

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By delta_ass

I dunno why EA thinks this is going to work, people already know about TF2, a similar game that's free and generally regarded as better.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Al3xand3r

It was a solid little game for the week I played it, but now it's really worthless. Why are they so greedy anyway? I remember them boasting how much money this thing brought in. Such a cheap production, yet they made millions while offering it for free. That's not enough? If they made a Wii port that did away with all the real money stuff and added several more maps etc it would be worth a buy, but to constantly keep paying for this? No way, EA!

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By rallier
    DarkShaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By DarkShaper
    Sucks for the people who play it but I never thought it was any fun.
    rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By jakob187

So we're all getting pissed off about a F2P game deciding to increase the price of some items through Valor Points and reduce the price of other things through BattleFunds (that's the real cash)...and yet the game still doesn't actually cost anything to play?  It may take me some time to actually get some stuff through rentals, and they won't last...but nonetheless, I can still play the game. 

And that, ladies and gents, is the world of F2P online gaming.  You play for free, and you have a limited amount of stuff available to you.  Meanwhile, if you want to REALLY play the game with all the jacked-up awesomeness, then yeah...you've gotta pay.  Name any online F2P/micro-trans game that DOESN'T follow this exact same pattern...besides fucking RuneScape.

empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By empfeix
    @aquamooch said:
    " I didn't like BF:H one bit  but it must suck for the people who do.  I suspected that this was going to happen sooner or later "
    Yeah I also saw this coming, didnt really matter to me tho because the game got boring after a couple of days
    rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By rallier
    @jakob187 said:
    " So we're all getting pissed off about a F2P game deciding to increase the price of some items through Valor Points and reduce the price of other things through BattleFunds (that's the real cash)...and yet the game still doesn't actually cost anything to play?  It may take me some time to actually get some stuff through rentals, and they won't last...but nonetheless, I can still play the game.  And that, ladies and gents, is the world of F2P online gaming.  You play for free, and you have a limited amount of stuff available to you.  Meanwhile, if you want to REALLY play the game with all the jacked-up awesomeness, then yeah...you've gotta pay.  Name any online F2P/micro-trans game that DOESN'T follow this exact same pattern...besides fucking RuneScape. "
    The cost of bandages in VP went up by 21 times wich is not some minor just some minor change. Right now someone would have to win 2 games to just be able to afford one and bandages were an essential thing for snipers when they got light on fire. The prices for all the weapons went up at such insane rates, in order for a gunner the only class that can use a RPG to rent his RPG for one day using VP it would take him 3 hours of play and win every single game to be able to afford it for example and that is just for the RPG. 

The game taking this route is not something wrong in itself but from the very start the game has been advertised as play 4 free and that there would not be a difference in combat potential between people who decide to pay for some stuff and those who don't however without any notice the whole philosophy behind the came gets thrown out of the window from one day to another. 

If you would go online now without buying the needed weapons for your class you are going to get raped over by those who spend money on unlimited weapons. Good luck playing a gunner with who only has the standard TNT against a tank.

League of Legends
    damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By damnboyadvance

It was a pretty good game too. I enjoyed it while I played it. But the prices are just way too high for those of us playing for free, as advertised.

I thought about buying Battlefunds, but for right now I'm postponing the very thought. I don't want to support this shit anymore. Not at least not until they make it as free as it should be again, and until they don't force me to play for 5 hours just so I can keep my weapon. It's crazy. I can't imagine how they could even think of this. I enjoy the game, but I'm not paying for something that's supposed to be free. I'm out until they fix the prices.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Might make more sense if people actually liked the game & they had a ton of people playing it & overloading the servers already..

but they don't.

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#30  Edited By Griddler

I hate that game anyway.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By PureRok
    @Rallier said:
    " @jakob187 said:
    " So we're all getting pissed off about a F2P game deciding to increase the price of some items through Valor Points and reduce the price of other things through BattleFunds (that's the real cash)...and yet the game still doesn't actually cost anything to play?  It may take me some time to actually get some stuff through rentals, and they won't last...but nonetheless, I can still play the game.  And that, ladies and gents, is the world of F2P online gaming.  You play for free, and you have a limited amount of stuff available to you.  Meanwhile, if you want to REALLY play the game with all the jacked-up awesomeness, then yeah...you've gotta pay.  Name any online F2P/micro-trans game that DOESN'T follow this exact same pattern...besides fucking RuneScape. "
    The cost of bandages in VP went up by 21 times wich is not some minor just some minor change. Right now someone would have to win 2 games to just be able to afford one and bandages were an essential thing for snipers when they got light on fire. The prices for all the weapons went up at such insane rates, in order for a gunner the only class that can use a RPG to rent his RPG for one day using VP it would take him 3 hours of play and win every single game to be able to afford it for example and that is just for the RPG.   The game taking this route is not something wrong in itself but from the very start the game has been advertised as play 4 free and that there would not be a difference in combat potential between people who decide to pay for some stuff and those who don't however without any notice the whole philosophy behind the came gets thrown out of the window from one day to another.   If you would go online now without buying the needed weapons for your class you are going to get raped over by those who spend money on unlimited weapons. Good luck playing a gunner with who only has the standard TNT against a tank. League of Legends "
    The thing is... the game is still play for free. You can't say it's no longer play for free just because they increased the price of the optional micro-transactions. You are spinning this.
    InTheEnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By InTheEnd

EA's a corporation, what did you expect? 

TooMuchSky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TooMuchSky

BFH used to be really sweet, easy to get into for short bursts of play and very polished for a game with such low spec requirements. I was literally about to drop cash on an outfit for a few bucks because I wanted to support DICE. 

Now, I'm really happy I didn't, seeing as there is a lot of people who invested up to $100 into what they thought was a solid game with a fair economy - Only to find that all of a sudden, EA had swooped in and turned it upside down. Despite their vow to never sell in-game advantages for real world cash. With this breach of trust, there is no telling when it'll happen again (and it does, just check for fireproof underpants that make you invulnerable to the soldier class' important burning bullet ability), so in effect, EA is scaring off potential investors. The weapon you buy today can be underpowered or canceled out tomorrow.

Their announcing  3 million registered accounts is a slap in the face of close to 2000 angry customers who already complained about the changes on the forum - and adding insult to injury, the entire thread goes largely ignored by EA representatives.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By toowalrus
    You mean 'free 2 play' right? How about you go play some 'Left 2 Die' !!
    rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By rallier

@TooWalrus: Nope that is actually how they marketed the game.

edit: Battle-forge another EA game uses the same title.

@TooMuchSky: I believe the "IGN Free multiplayer game of the year" was the biggest slap in the face
    Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Kohe321

I remember watching my friend play it, and not being very impressed.

TheDoubleJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TheDoubleJ

Well that is stupid, but i geuss it makes sense. 

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By bubahula

thats gross

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.